160Gal W/100Gal Sump Lake Malawi

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

Awilcox said:
The more fish the better with the Africans. Especially with the labs, they can be really aggressive toward each other so it's good to have a good number to keep them from bullying as much. Can't wait to see the finished tanks!!
o_O.. The labs are the sweetest of the Mbunas...all of them. White labs, yellow labs, etc. they are all least aggressive of a mbuna tank. 

Love the tank can't wait for more pics! I have found it's really a challenge to get pics of African cichlids. They are so quick and hyper. Take a video..much better way to see the tank. Cichlids are so much fun.

Stole wifes camera....so much better than my cheap work camera
110.jpg
109.jpg
104.jpg
103.jpg
094.jpg
086.jpg
085.jpg
079.jpg
075.jpg
064.jpg
061.jpg
056.jpg
053.jpg
039.jpg
034.jpg

Few pics for you all!!
very cool watching them feed!!
tank just full of energy
Hope you like pics.

Much better pics, the second lot! :)

They look great! Looks like they're loving your tank!!!

Thanks Blondie.
Is it bad I just stocked mbuna tank and I'm already looking into another tank?

Still gotta convince the wife...
noexpression.gif

zoopkamol said:
Is it bad I just stocked mbuna tank and I'm already looking into another tank?

Still gotta convince the wife...
noexpression.gif

:lol: MTS strikes again....

Don't worry, I don't think many people are happy with the number of tanks they have....I know I'm not :p

Ya MTS....but my MTS is of the larger variety tanks....not many have multiple 150+ gallon tanks. maybe ill sneak a smaller tank in living room ...im sure she wont notice till its too late.

found 1 yellow in my sump ...musta been a wicked ride lol. He is ok.
had to adjust flow and add blue filter to overflow intake.
flow reduced from about 900gph to 350gph. but pump still moving 900gph using a bypass valve on sump
 once fish get bit larger ill increase flow.

I love the smoochy cat pic!  hahah
BTW I want to steal your wifes camera now! 
Looks like there is peace in Africa... Fins all look pretty good.. no territory battles yet? Thats great.

zoopkamol said:

found 1 yellow in my sump ...musta been a wicked ride lol. He is ok.
had to adjust flow and add blue filter to overflow intake.
flow reduced from about 900gph to 350gph. but pump still moving 900gph using a bypass valve on sump
 once fish get bit larger ill increase flow.
They love that kinda stuff. Little daredevils! I have two (a white top hara, and a chailosi) that go together in front of my powerhead and let it shoot them almost out of the water lol. Then I've noticed during water changes if I just leave the vacuum end sitting there sucking water out they love to swim in and out of it. 

no real batttles yet ...one of the redtop is starting to color up a bit ...he trying to establish a cave...but catfish interrupt him all the time.
ya the kissiy face looks like a seal a bit.

Thats funny. I have a featherfin cat in my Mbuna tank and he does the same thing. Smacks the fish with his tail fin when they start a battle. If that doesn't stop them a swift turn around and charge right between them freak them out enough to behave. 

photo.gif
 Small update... no pics sorry

Everything is going well in tank. Had 3 yellos die on me.1 wouldnt eat from get go and got weak and stuck on overflow intake and 2 others shortly after stocking them in tank (im guessing water shock)

rest are eating very well and very active. most are starting to "claim a area cave/rock tunnel corner" as own territory.
few minor chases but nothing serious as of yet.

cuckoos still by far most active and fun to watch as they skim surface upside down to eat. They always in groups of 2-5 playing about.

filter was fully cycled and no mini cycle as of yet so all good there.

next update will include few
photo.gif

Frustrated a bit ....
For last week or so had few males coloring up (different species) and every other day about finding a fish carcass in the morning... not sure which fish species is the agressor as deaths seem to happen at night with lights off. stated with 45 mbunas juvies and was expecting to lose a few here and there but at last count atempt i count only 29-32.
dont like seeing fish die. water parameters are ph 7.7ish nitrite 0 ammonia 0 nitrate 15ppm. Hardness dont know atm but last i checked both were in the modertaly hard range.
So tank i think would be understocked for mbunas but i dont want to go to LFS and get adults sized and unknown fish (possible hybrids).

Oh and i dont see too much "chasing" during daytime ...few minor chases as trying to defend a cave entrance or corner.
Dont know what to do....as i stated FRUSTRATED!!

Africans -.- it's so hard to find a peaceful mix, as soon as all starts to go well, they start picking one another off. Check the hardness, what are you using for a ph booster? Some of them tend to make the water too hard, I had to do a few frantic water changes when I was first starting to regulate the ph. How are they doing now?

i found my africans hated catfish, shredded them completely.
But apart from them, not a single death from my africans.

It shouldnt be aggression from the fish as you added them at the same time and do have rock caves, if anything id rock the tank up a little bit more and disrupt more lines of sight (my tank is split lengthways with ocean rock for them to swim in and out of)

Something like this:

Most reactions

trending

Members online

Back