16 gallon or 62 stocking ideas

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

ember04

Fish Crazy
Reaction score
Hi there
I have an old 16-gallon tank (it is 62 litres), I have had the tank for years now and used to keep many different fish species in it, but for the last year and a half, it has been sitting empty in my loft. I have now considered filling it back up and resetting it up. I have kept many types of fish in my 12 years in the hobby but only have room for nano tanks.
I was wondering if anyone has some cool suggestions of what to put in the tank I have not decided on what scape i will go for as I like to design tanks around the fish and not put the fish in a tank not designed for it (I have a few planted tanks at the moments so I might do that or something completely different)

any suggestions would be great.
ember04

Depending on the design of the tank (footprint is usually more important than height), I'd say you'd be fine with a betta, a sparkling gourami or a couple guppies or a small school of ember tetras. Shrimp would be a great choice as well! Not in combination, obviously. 16 gallons isn't very large, so your options are fairly limited.

If it were me, I'd probably go with a betta or sparkling gourami and some snails. I'd plant it heavily with submerged and floating plants. I'd probably throw a pothos in the back or filter as well.

the dimensions are 32 by 32 by 60 cm

I had a look at those sparkling gouramis and they look nice so thank you I will look in to there care. Does anyone know any small/ nano old ball fish that would be suitable for my tank as I have kept a lot of the more common fish in my time (I don't mind searching around for a rare fish) I have seen dwarf anchor catfish and some small plecos in planted wood tanks and I like that, but also like all old ball.
any suggestion would be great

What about pea puffers? They are probably one of the cutest nano fish.

yeah I have been really considering pea puffers but I would worry about fighting in the tank, I am quite stressed and fish tanks are a good relaxing part of my life and I would worry a tank with aggressive puffers fighting each other (also i think 1 pea puffer in a 16 gallon may be a bit small) what is your opinion?

Pea puffers are super cool however you can only have one in the tank. A betta would be cool but you could have honey gouramis, maybe a school of neons depending on size of the school. If you plan on getting bottom feeders (corys, shrimp etc) if you go for corys, go with Corydoras pygmaeus or corydoras panda as they stay small. For shrimp maybe amano shrimp depending on your tankmates.

yeah I have been really considering pea puffers but I would worry about fighting in the tank, I am quite stressed and fish tanks are a good relaxing part of my life and I would worry a tank with aggressive puffers fighting each other (also i think 1 pea puffer in a 16 gallon may be a bit small) what is your opinion?
They are only 2.5cm so a single pea puffer would seem small, you could fit 5-8 in this tank. You'd need to try to get mostly females to reduce aggression. They are also tricky to feed so be prepared for that.

thanks for your information, does anyone know any other weird old ball fish that I could try in the tank

Most reactions

trending

Members online

Back