1500 Gallon Shark Tank

A 5 inch sand bed is really the lowest limit of a DSB, 8 Inches is far better especially in a tank with very little liverock (i know the sump has liverock but this is a huge volume of water with some very very heavy waste fish.

ya i think alot of research is right! i wish i would have done it before rather than after, because i wanted to enjoy it i wanted it when i wanted it, and now i have it im happy with going slow and progressing slow lol, i learned the hard way. but all in all ive only had 2 losses and thats my 3 out of my 4 damsels in the beggining, and i also agree cycling your tank with fish is mean and im upset i did it, lfs should do that , MY opinion anywheys. i cant wait when i go back to my lfs in a month or 2 im getting a sea fan, bangaii cardinal fish, and just a question sry to ge off topic but my fam is tlkign me into a longhorned boxfish and i mean they r awsomeley cool lookign but im scared because if he gets startled or anything i dont want my tank going down the tubes, is a chance to really take, or what is the chnace that it wil release its poison? thnkx, well good luck with your tank, ide love to have a tank like that in my room, if i could ide swim in it lol ha ha.
hey a ribbon eel i heard is a little less aggressive " a little" they come in alot of colors too, though i dont know alot about them i hear there easy tho....

ribbon eels are almost impossible to get feeding.
not an easy ell for starters

Dude, where in So Cal are you? Have you contacted Len yet? He is the owner of Window to the Sea in Tustin. He is one of the inventors for Ecosystems, and has built several 1000g plus size systems. You don't need to research that much at all. Just call Len and he will do the whole thing for you. Man is incredible. He will arrange and plan everything. He gets backed up with work sometimes because he is getting so popular but he is well worth the wait. I'd call him about your plans. If you can make it to his store then he will talk your ear off.

I have been doing bussiness with him for almost a year now. He is a great great man. I really think the best advice I can give is to call him. Homie is the man when it comes to stuff like this.

If you look in last months Coral Magazine they had a feature on him and his store. He is reinventing much of the reef hobby, He hasn't fed his reef displays in a year and they are fantastic. Len really knows this hobby better then anyone I have ever met and he's a swell guy.

You should call him. I trust him with all of my fish needs. He special orders me anything. Can get the rarest livestock out there. :good:

must say i agree with "OohFeeshy" your FW exp aint to great.

altho TBH seems to me like a few pork pies are flying around this thread :p

Sorry to burst your bubble, but you really need more FW experience before SW... I mean, what's with your FW stocking?

freshwater 55 gallon all-glass aquarium (all fish are 4-5") 2 African ciclids, 2 oscars, 1 sparkling eel, 1 mono, 12" pleco, 2 moon crabs, 2 Blood parrots.

Yeah, what a good tank. African cichlids need an african setup, oscars are huge, messy and nasty, monos are brackish, the crabs I would imagine need land.

freshwater 10 gallon all-glass aquarium (all fish are 2-3") 2 bala sharks, 1 upside down catfish, 1 small pleco

All I can say is poor balas...

2 years experince (have not had one fish ever die since i started)
have had a 125 gallon fowlr saltwater system for almost two years

TBH, doesn't seem like it to me...

THe crabs have an island that they climb up to off a rock!
The fish all get along fine and have massive filtration and the oscars have moved to a 240 gallon frehwater tank!

That is a huge tank but after seeing the size of it and considering the size of that shark he has in page 1 (its still got growing to do yet also) I feel the tank is far too small for a fish like this. Great site though!

It offers an interesting perspective, and alternative, from the concrete tanks, though I still think he will suffer with evaporation. Evap is what killed off the first 4,000 gallon domestic reef.

I would personallylove to keep a couple of 2-3 foot sharks, but you are talking a serious sized tank for that, not to mention their free swimming nature would cause a need for a sump nearly as large to house adequate amounts of live rock.

Most reactions

Back