Wordy
Fish Fanatic
Yesterday was the two week anniversary of me putting my 1st three Cardinal Tetras into the Baby Biorb we've got, so I thought I'd celebrate by doing a partial water change.
I put some water in a bowl added some stress coat and sat it in a sink with hot water in it to bring it up to the tank temp, meanwhile I got the hoover thing and disturbed the ceramic media on the bottom of the tank to get some of the food debris out and bang straight into my first problem, one of the fish got trapped under one of the ceramic pieces. I managed to free him and carry on with the water change.
After draining about 20% of the water I replaced it with the water that was now at the correct temp, no problems until I noticed another fish had managed to get itself stuck under the media, so he was freed by moving the media around until he could swim away.
There was still alot of old food floating around due to the media being disturbed so I stuck the net in and tried to remove as much as I could and after I'd finished thought I'm done
how wrong I was.
I was still one fish down. Couldn't see him under any of the media, so I had to take it all out, still no sign of him, took the fake plant thing I've got covering the pump tube off, still nothing, took the filter off and there he was, he'd managed to work his way under all the media and into one of the intake vents at the bottom of the filter and was floating upside down. so I had to coax him out of the filter area so I could get filter back in, but he really didn't want to move. I eventually get him out, got the pump back in, got the plant back on top of the pump tube and got the media back in, and guess what? Correct, one of the fish got stuck under a lump of media again, so he needed freeing.
They all seemed fine for the rest of the day until last night one of them was lying upside down laying at the bottom of the tank. Hoping he would recover we went to bed, but this morning he'd died.
So a 15% water change turned into me spending 1 1/2 hours of having to remove everything out of the tank and killing one of my fish, I can honestly say it was one of the most unpleasant 1 1.2 hours I can remember.
If anyone says I shouldn't keep fish I'd probably agree and go and buy a couple of stick insect or something!
I put some water in a bowl added some stress coat and sat it in a sink with hot water in it to bring it up to the tank temp, meanwhile I got the hoover thing and disturbed the ceramic media on the bottom of the tank to get some of the food debris out and bang straight into my first problem, one of the fish got trapped under one of the ceramic pieces. I managed to free him and carry on with the water change.
After draining about 20% of the water I replaced it with the water that was now at the correct temp, no problems until I noticed another fish had managed to get itself stuck under the media, so he was freed by moving the media around until he could swim away.
There was still alot of old food floating around due to the media being disturbed so I stuck the net in and tried to remove as much as I could and after I'd finished thought I'm done
I was still one fish down. Couldn't see him under any of the media, so I had to take it all out, still no sign of him, took the fake plant thing I've got covering the pump tube off, still nothing, took the filter off and there he was, he'd managed to work his way under all the media and into one of the intake vents at the bottom of the filter and was floating upside down. so I had to coax him out of the filter area so I could get filter back in, but he really didn't want to move. I eventually get him out, got the pump back in, got the plant back on top of the pump tube and got the media back in, and guess what? Correct, one of the fish got stuck under a lump of media again, so he needed freeing.
They all seemed fine for the rest of the day until last night one of them was lying upside down laying at the bottom of the tank. Hoping he would recover we went to bed, but this morning he'd died.
So a 15% water change turned into me spending 1 1/2 hours of having to remove everything out of the tank and killing one of my fish, I can honestly say it was one of the most unpleasant 1 1.2 hours I can remember.
If anyone says I shouldn't keep fish I'd probably agree and go and buy a couple of stick insect or something!
Incest is never good.







