125 Uk Gallon Stocking Idea'S

FishForums.net Pet of the Month
🐶 POTM Poll is Open! 🦎 Click here to Vote! 🐰

nel5on

Fish Fanatic
Reaction score
Hey

we have a 5' x 2' x 2' 125 UK gallon aquarium, the stocking list atm is

2 x firemouth cichlids (about 2 1/2" each)
1 x albino plec (poop machine, need to find a new home for it)
1 x large angel
20 x lemon tetra
10 x black neon netra
1 x silver shark (need to find a new home for it)
4 x bronze cory (need more)
2 x peppered cory (need more)

What would you change/add to the tank?

thinking that something like this for starters, would like more idea's though. its a planted tank with a sand substrate.

2 x firemouth
20 x lemon tetra
10 x black neon
20 x bronze cories
15 x peppered cories

Thanks

2 x firemouth
20 x lemon tetra
10 x black neon
20 x bronze cories
15 x peppered cories

:good: nice sounding stock but I would get more cichlids in there! That is a really really light stock as well hmmm trying to think of other cichlids for you, I want to say get some more Thorichthys types like Ellioti but that might risk hybrids its a tough to find a balance between firemouths and tetras.

Thanks for the idea's, i was thinking of other cichlids, rams, maybe some jewels? kribs? etc?

might get 15 or so otto's aswell to try n keep the thing clean! lol

Thanks for the idea's, i was thinking of other cichlids, rams, maybe some jewels? kribs? etc?

might get 15 or so otto's aswell to try n keep the thing clean! lol

A gravel vac or sython's the best thing for that :)

What about some smaller plecs? I know people always say dont get a fish to clean up after you but they do help but you still have to get in there and scrub now and again. Have a look through the planet catfish site and look on for some herbivores or ones with good reputations. Or zebra snails do a good job as well! I have a lone one and I have tracks all over the glass when I forget to clean it off lol.

With the cichlids I think rams might be too small, jewels would be too aggressive for your other fish but kribs could work. I would say a severum but you might have to say bye bye to your plants ;) A chocolate cichlid could work - though the negative for both them are that your tetras could become snacks..... depends on the fish I think sometimes.

One thing to add though is that firemouths are probably not the best cichlids for a planted tank. Personally I would go with a range of dwarf acaras like laetacaras and nannacaras maybe a few of the smaller aequidens or keyholes. This way you get some characters in the tank and you can keep your plants :) I say dwarf acaras rather than apistos because of the big territories recent studies have shown that each apisto pair will need.

Oooop,s forgot a fairly large chunk of fish of the list, we laos have 5 x 6" clown loaches.

i like the keyholes, kribs aswell, the firemouths do fine with the planets, dont bother with them tbh, if it was purely upto me, id have the plants out, lots more bog wood, with the firemouths, oscars maybe, severums, that sorta thing, i love the big cichlids.

I would do the same really ;) I think you can still do some plants with the cichlids but not like dainty stuff that will get dug up. But easy stuff like valis or plants on wood and/or rock - a fantastic plant is Bobtilis (spelling) a lot of high end planted tanks use this and I see little or no reason why it wouldnt do well in a cichlid tank as a staple plant and then use well developed mother plants to fill it out.

With the clowns in there as well I would say you are at stocked level to be fair though with all the tetras etc IMO. I think the bottom must look mental with all that action!!

I would do the same really ;) I think you can still do some plants with the cichlids but not like dainty stuff that will get dug up. But easy stuff like valis or plants on wood and/or rock - a fantastic plant is Bobtilis (spelling) a lot of high end planted tanks use this and I see little or no reason why it wouldnt do well in a cichlid tank as a staple plant and then use well developed mother plants to fill it out.

With the clowns in there as well I would say you are at stocked level to be fair though with all the tetras etc IMO. I think the bottom must look mental with all that action!!

would you say with my current stock level, or the revised stock levels? being as there is only like 6 or so catfish atm in there.

2 x firemouth
20 x lemon tetra
10 x black neon
20 x bronze cories
15 x peppered cories
5 x clown loach
2 x keyhole cichlids
3 x albino kribensis

is what im lookin at atm.

It should work but you should add stock in slowly, it is a heavy stock though and I would be tempted to say cut down the bronze cories to 15 and same with them lemon tetras, but it might be okay as there are no huge fish in there. What kind of filtration do you have?

It should work but you should add stock in slowly, it is a heavy stock though and I would be tempted to say cut down the bronze cories to 15 and same with them lemon tetras, but it might be okay as there are no huge fish in there. What kind of filtration do you have?

there is 2 x 1500lp/h external filters in it, not a bad system, the fish will be added slowly, the tetra's are already in the tank, itsj ust the cories, kribs, keyholes that will be added to the current stock list.

ooh the tank has already been set up for just over 18 months, so its not a newly set up tank.

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Members online

Back