10Gal To Crowded?

April FOTM Photo Contest Starts Now!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to enter! 🏆

scak27

Mostly New Member
Reaction score
I just got a ten gallon tank for Xmas. What is in it is. 4 platypus 4 neon yryras 4 zebra danois. And 2 Cory catfish. It looks crowded to me. Its only been set up for a week and no looses yet. I'm just worried about to many in that small tank. Oh yeah one male Betts also. Its for my kids mote than me although I think Its cool as he'll

Hi, 
welcomeani.gif
 to TFF, and im afraid the tank is very overstocked and not compatible with the fish.
The platys will over populate with the tank soon, the neon tetras usually need a large tank and 6-8+ in a school.

The danios need a similar sized school and a 4 ft tank due to their levels of activity. 

The cories most likely are not a dwarf species, and need a 20 gallon long and a school of 6+ of the same species.

I hope i dont sound to blunt and please read this article on how to cycle your tank, your fish are in the tank so you will need to do a fish-in cylce. Im not sure where the link is but someone else may be able to assist you on that. 
http://www.fishforums.net/index.php?/topic/421488-cycling-your-new-fresh-water-tank-read-this-first/

Thank you and no you dnt sound blunt in this. I am new at this and I'm tryin to make the happiest tank for my family to watch. I was thinking of just Buying a 30gal tank at Wal-Mart but I don't want to take on too much. But if I do keep the four platys in the ten, what do you mean they will do??? Eat all the vegetation or try and repopulate? ? I'm not worried about rude answers I do wanna know. And yes the Cory cats are dwarfs.

Well, the more water volume in the tank the better, it allows for a bigger crash to occur in the system with less  consequences. The platys will make babies, thats what they do, they can store male sperm for a few months as well, they will also eat most of their babies though.

The best you can do atm is return all the fish and cycle it, i know its boring but it will be much better for the fish in the end and you shouldnt lose any fish from doing this. Might be worth it to get a 30 gallon, you can have a wider variety of fish and schools, etc. etc.

You can leave the betta in the 10 gallon and watch the ammonia levels in the tank, throw some plants in there, have some ghost shrimp and maybe a rabbit snail once the tank is more established.

The cories, tetras and danios, however would be much happier in a 30 gallon if rehoming the fish is not an option, but i would look into an API master test kit so you can watch the ammonia, nitrite and nitrate levels in the tank. Ammonia and nitrite should always read 0 in a cycled tank, if nitrite spikes it is much worse because nitrites dont leave the fishes body as quickly. These two chemicals are literally poisons that will engulf your fish body and kill them slowly and painfully. Nitrates are the less toxic form of nitrite and should be around 0-20 ppm at all times, excessively high amounts can cause illnesses like fin rot, or other immune system disorders. 

Honestly, fish keeping is an amazing hobby, just dont over think it, once your tank is cycled and you have a properly stocked tank all you have to do is make sure temp. is ok everyday and then feed your fish daily and you can even skip some days and it would be beneficial for your fish sometimes. For maintenance you just change 25-50% of the water every week with declorinated water and clean the filter media in old fish tank water ALWAYS, unless you have well water that does not contain chlorine. Atm i maintain 5 tanks, a 180, a 75, a 55, a 26, and a 20, you want to know which one is the easiest? The 180 lol I use a python siphon to suck out water for me and i fill it back up with the shower.

Certainly the best fish to leave in the 10gal would be the betta - these are solitary fish, and would prefer a small tank to itself.

The rest of what sawickib said is good advice too.

Thank your honest answers. Yeah it Will be a ill boring for my 8yr old to watch a tank.cycle, but we wanna learn and do it the right way. The betta is pretty enough to keep her entertained for a while. But anyone know where I can get ghost shrimp?? I live in Northen NH and we dent have any big chain stores so most things are shipped in from the web.

Hmmm, not sure i get them for 1$ for 12, their feeders in most places except petsmart who exploits them for 37 cents each.

If your willing to upgrade to a 55 gallon you should be able to keep most of those fish and upgrade your schools to the proper size.

However, if you aren't interested in upgrading, aquabid normally sells ghost shrimp or your local LFS but they are normally overpriced at your local LFS. First I would start with purchasing a test kit as has already been said and monitor your ammonia, nitrite, and nitrate levels, if you see any ammonia or nitrite pop up, do a water change to bring it back down, you'll have to do that until your cycle is over. 

Most reactions

trending

Back