10G Fish Tank Help

April FOTM Photo Contest Starts Now!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to enter! 🏆

Burnsey12001

Reaction score
to whom it may concern

I have recently purchased and kept a 10g fish tank with including filter, submersible heater, air pump, and hood. The only type of fish that i have been keeping so far, are 3 goldfish, and 2 corydora catfish.
I need guidance in choosing and keeping mid level feeding schooling fish that are not to difficult to get along with the catfish.

The goldfish will get too large for a 10g (they get very large, very quickly), and Cories prefer to be in a group of 6 or more. Some of the smaller tetras, danios or barbs might be good choices for mid level swimmers, but they usually prefer to be kept in groups as well. There isn't a lot of room in a 10g to keep most species happy. Hopefully someone else can chime in with suitable choices for you. Good luck with your aquarium!

Sorry, mate, but the goldfish need to go. As well as the size issue, they are coldwater fish. In heated water, they will die a lot sooner than they should.

Do you know what species of cory you have? I need to know that to figure out what room you have for other fish.

Unfortunately, it sounds like the goldfish have to go...I had only one goldfish in a 10 gallon and it got so large (over 5") that I ended up donating it to someone's 55 gallon tank.  It sounds like your tank could, if it isn't already, become overstocked if you get more fish.  And also, goldfish need water 60-70 degrees F, while Corys need 78-82 degrees F.  They simply aren't compatible and one will eventually weaken or die if you accommodate the other's needs.
If you get rid of the goldfish (probably you could sell them back to PetSmart or donate them to a pond or tank, depending on the species), you might want to get some Gourami, Tetras, or other peaceful community fish.
Good luck!  And don't worry, you're not the first one being lured into the trap 'Goldfish can be kept in a 10-gallon tank'!

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Members online

Back