1000l Marine Tank Stocking Ideas Needed

April FOTM Photo Contest Starts Now!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to enter! 🏆

#1 Fish Fan

Fish Crazy
Reaction score
Hi Guys!

I have bought 2, 1000L tanks. I have decided for one to be marine and the other tropical. I need stocking ideas for the Marine Tank. Also along with what I need to put in the tank.

I wanted to go for clownfish. I need to know how many of them and what other fish they can live with. If you have had or still keep a couple of clownfish as a pet then are they easy to care for? I am a beginner at Marine but I am a pro at Tropical.

Any suggestions will be appreciated!
---------------
Maria

1000 litres you may need an overflow and sump system and a protein skimmer, which isnt very cheap, thats all i know lol, if you want nemo clownfish avoid mixing them with tomoto clowns!

I will! The point is to buy the 2 tanks, spend all the money on them. Then I have all the things I need and all I need to do is buy fish. Just to mention the tank is 1363.83L not 1000L!

All i know is, that live rock is going to cost you a lot of money!

I don't know how well they would work with any of the fish you want, but you could look into moray eels. They're pretty cool looking.

Ah, Donya has come to my rescue. She said to get pairs of different species of clownfish so to begin my marine tank I may just have 2 pairs of different species clownfish. Thanks for all the help though!

if you want nemo clownfish avoid mixing them with tomoto clowns!

It can be done in reaaaally big tanks, but only there. The concrete example I gave the OP in chat was a public aquarium near me that has a couple huge reef tanks that are in this size range where multiple pairs of clowns are kept, including the peaceful ones. Unfortunately I can't remember whether the peaceful ones are percs or ocellaris, but one of the tanks has a maroon pair + other clown pairs and the other tank I'm pretty sure has a tomato pair with the other clown species. There are also damsels in each of varieties that people usually complain about, but everybody is incredibly happy and peaceful. The bigger the tank, the less aggression is an issue. There is enough space for the clowns to have distinct territories, and there are enough hosting-capable things that they don't compete over those that territorial aspect either (and similarly for damsels). But...try the same thing in, say, a 40gal, and you'd almost certainly have a fish war.

Thanks Donya, could I have a or a few blue tangs, purple dollyback, or, yellow belly rega bue tang. My LFS's have some of each of those fish so could I have them with clownfish?

clownfish unless of the same species SHOULDNT be mixed.
i have a maroon clown by himself in a large tank and still wouldnt trust him with any other clowns.
best clowns to start with would be a *matching pair* of common clowns.

for your size tank you would need:
an overflow/sump
a large protien skimmer
strong lighting
one hell of a lot of rock (live fiji rock is best)

if that where my tank my stock list wud be along the lines of this (example)

a pair of matching or breeding clownfish
chromis
yellow tang
convict tang
yellow eye tang
powder blue tang
starfish (blue or sand sifting)
crabs
hermit crabs
shrimp
basslets
goat fish
snails (turbo snails)
scarlet reef lobster
blennies (algea blenny, vampire blenny)
flame angel (dwarf)
coral beauty (dwarf)
maybe a moray eel (snowflake morray are nicest)

this is just an example of what i would possibly do.

note that if buying tangs, there territorial once added so buy them together.
and there prone to marine itch so a uv sterilizer would be handy with your sump.
if keeping corals avoid any fish that eat corals like triggers, and large angelfish.
certain corals require really strong lighting so make sure u check what they need before spending your cash as corals can be expensive.

good luck

Most reactions

trending

Members online

Back