10 Tank's fish and tanks

Good morning. Will be attending a Memorial Day event, so will take the day off from the tank work. The good thing about large, regular water changes is that if something comes up and you have to miss a day from changing the tank water, the fish can easily manage because the water is always kept so clean. Will pick up the regular schedule tomorrow. May have a change in the routine coming. Will keep you informed.

Hello. Lost the Tuesday post for some reason. Worked on a couple of tanks yesterday and added a bit of filtration in the form of a couple of small filters used for keeping turtles. This meant dropping the water level a little. Also relocated a large Anubias plant and vacuumed one of those tanks.

So, now today, we'll work on three tanks. We had quite a thunder and rain storm last night. The thunder was truly amazing and there was quite a light show. Got more than an inch of rain and fortunately, no hail. Won't have to water for a couple of days or so. The temperatures are slowly rising. We'll start to see some upper 80s in the next few days.

Last edited:
Wednesday supplemental post. Am performing a water change on a 50 gallon Buenos Aires Tetra tank and have a couple of more fry in it. I'm guessing I'm up to 20 individuals. The new ones are pretty small and timid, of course. An aggressive water change routine will encourage reproduction eventually.

Thursday morning. Hello. Three tanks today need large water changes. Still have the four large Koi from the botanic garden. Apparently, they want me to keep them. I'll be happy to do this, but I don't know what they plan to put into their water feature. The garden is expanding. They've built a building to house their new plants and may be moving away from the water feature, so we'll see. It's a pretty place and have room for gardeners to rent space to plant their flowers and vegetables, the garden is getting quite large. It has a large pond, the water feature and they grow a lot of the plants that come from this area of Colorado. It's a nice place to visit.

Thursday supplemental post. Completed the water change on the 75 and the Scissor Tail Rasboras are pretty much keeping to themselves and are hiding in a heavily planted area of one corner of the tank. The other fish are active and enjoying the new water. Found a new Platy, just one. But, we should see some more soon. Platys reproduce almost as easily as the Guppies in some of my tanks.

Friday morning and taking a coffee break and planning the day. One tank today and a few errands. Weather has been stormy the last couple of days. Rain and thunder and thankfully, no hail. Fish are doing well and the water is clear and clean. I think the more aggressive water change routine will streamline things, so we're not doing several tanks in one day. Two per day seems just about right and the fish will get their water changed out a little more often.

Saturday morning and we'll start our new tank schedule. We'll do two tanks this morning and do all the tanks in five to six days and then start over. The tanks will get 50 percent water changes at least every six days. This will spread the work out over five to six days instead of doing everything in three to four. I never liked doing big jobs in a short time. If I can, I'll spread the workload over several days.

We have two tanks, the 300 gallon trough and the government tank that get 50 percent water changes twice a week and have 10 tanks that get a 50 percent water change weekly.

Sunday morning and we'll work on the next two tanks, a 55 and 50 gallon. As always, we'll perform a 50 percent water change. Our fish are doing well and always gather at one end of the tank hoping it's a feeding day. Today, isn't, but tomorrow we'll feed all the fish a little.

The weather is really starting to heat up here. We're consistently in the low to mid 80s and I see a couple of 90 degree days in the forecast. Had a nice rain recently, but with the increasing heat, we'll need to keep up on the watering. Fortunately, the high mountains to our west are still covered with snow, so all the melting up there, means we'll have plenty of water for the gardens and tanks.

Monday morning and we'll be doing some work on four tanks. We're working on the government office tank and three of mine. So, we're in for a bit of a busy day. Had quite a wind storm last evening and had to skim all kinds of debris off the surface of the 300 gallon outdoor tank. We'll be feeding the fish a little today too. If you want to keep the water in your fish tank clean, then you can't feed your fish too much. Their tiny stomachs can't take in much and a lot of food just ends up on the bottom of the tank and fouls the water. It's best to feed a little every other day. What falls to the bottom is eventually found by the fish later and eaten. So, the fish do their part in keeping their water clean. Do a good job of removing and replacing most of the tank water every few days and you'll have no tank problems.

Good Tuesday morning. Pretty day here in northern Colorado. We've got an errand to run this morning, so we've decided the tanks will be fine. With large water changes performed every few days, it makes it much easier to miss one day if life has other plans for your time. We'll pick up the schedule tomorrow.

Good morning. Wednesday is here and hopefully, today will be more according to schedule. So, we'll work on two tanks and feed all the fish. You know, I hear a lot of the use of high end filters and the associated media. These mechanical things are too pricey for what you get out of them. They do a very poor job of keeping the tank water clean. Filters are only good for water movement, just mixing a bit more oxygen into the tank water. I stopped using them some time ago ago and just removed and replaced most of the tank water every few days. The large, frequent water change removes toxins and dilutes what's left in the tank to a safe level. Plus, incoming, treated tap water replenishes oxygen that will remain at a healthy level until the next water change. I see the interest in working with mechanical things and with the associated media. But, to me, the cost is much more than the reward.

Good Thursday morning. Two more tanks to do this morning, a 100 and a 55 gallon. I think I'm liking the new tank schedule. Just perform water changes on two, maybe three tanks daily and the fish get even more clean water than they did before. In case you haven't read this before, your fish are living in a toilet. Oh yes! They live in the same water in which they do all their "business". Now, if we were living in the same environment, wouldn't we want the toilet to be flushed regularly? I know I would. So, we're removing and replacing half the tank water every few days. And, by doing this, we've eliminated the need for expensive filters and all the media. We no longer vacuum the bottom material, because we're constantly removing the dissolving waste material and we don't need to test the tank water. The regular water changes guarantee steady, healthy water conditions.

The only drawback to water changes every few days is the cost of water if you don't have a well or live in a desert. Plus the physical labour involved, good exercise to keep you fit :)

Hello Colin. Water is extremely inexpensive here, so that's a plus. It comes to about 300 gallons a week. There's no labor involved really, just a "python" siphon for emptying and a garden hose with a faucet attachment for filling. A large tank can be emptied and refilled in roughly 40 minutes.

You're lucky. Where I am water is not cheap and the more you use, the more it costs. We actually got rain here today, which was weird. I hadn't driven in the rain for years and it poured down today. Windows fogged up, had the air-conditioner on to clear the windscreen. Couldn't see out the back windows. It was wet and weird but should be good for the plants :)

Most reactions

Back