10 litre Killifish Vase

JakeKM

Fish Fanatic
Reaction score
Hi all,

I've been moving around quite a lot and have been out of the hobby for the past 6 years, but now I'm going to be in one place for a while I'm super excited to start a new tank. I'll be keeping a couple of mangrove killifish (Kryptolebias marmoratus) in a 25cm by 25cm glass vase. I'm a research technician at a university and these fish had escaped from their system. We don't know which tanks they came from so they can't go back into the system. I have therefore retired them.

FmkRo4P.jpg

Here's the vase, it's 25 by 25cm, around 10 litres.

wE1jqyf.jpg

Made a cover out of some netting and tubing (mangrove killifish like to jump)

sTbMkTy.jpg

lPffT71.jpg

fcxDmGb.jpg

Pretty pleased with the air powered filter I cobbled together. Just some bits of PVC pipe and a fine mesh, it'll sit beneath the sand bed and draw water through it.

wxfnpHW.jpg

The heater and air pump.

5hXpdC4.jpg

The filter seems to working, the water cleared up in no time at all.

AT8Qk6U.jpg

...and here it is up and running. I've borrowed some coral sand from work and seeded it with some wet sand from the beach. I'm keeping it at a salinity of around 20ppt and I reckon anything living in the sand on the upper shore at low tide should be able to tolerate that. I'll probably add the killifish tomorrow, this species can tolerate extreme levels of ammonia so it's not necessary to wait for the tank to cycle. They can even be kept in small pots with standing water for weeks and survive out of water for weeks also. They're not much to look at but are pretty extraordinary so I recommend giving Kryptolebias marmoratus a google.

I'll post more pics when I add the killies tomorrow, also waiting on the delivery of a mangrove seedling.

Cheers for looking

Jake

Last edited:
Love the filter

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Back