10 Gallon Planted

FishForums.net Pet of the Month
🐶 POTM Poll is Open! 🦎 Click here to Vote! 🐰

FishFreak95

Fish Fanatic
Reaction score
I did my first planted tank in a spare 10 gallon I had. So far I have 1 male dwarf gourami and 4 ghost shrimp. I plan on adding 5 neon tetras, 5 Serpae tetras, and some ottos. I have very little experience with these fish and the last time I kept neons was 5 years ago when I was 11. MY tank is newly cycled and I added the gourami and shrimp yesterday. When should I add more fish and which ones should be next?
How many ottos should I add, 1, 2, or more? I read serpaes can be nippy. Anyone else have that experience? Any suggestions?

Also, Any Ideas of what plant this is? They were free floating in the store I bought them in. I planted them into the sand. Will they grow roots?

122onpw.jpg

ettk54.jpg

iv never heard of otos being nippy before there normally really peace full fish looks like a nice tank =]

The plant is what's usually called 'elodea', though that's not it's scientific name any more (I think it's Egeria now). It will root; probably halfway up the stem!

I wouldn't put serpae tetras (especially not five) with gouramis; they are very nippy in smaller shoals; I'd up your number of neons instead.

Otos need to be in quite a large shoal (at least six, but preferably ten or more, which would leave you very overstocked) if they're to feel secure; they also need mature tanks, so I wouldn't recommend them.

You might even have a problem with the gourami especially the dwarf kind, it's more sensitive to water quality but then if it's stable, you'll be OK. I agree flottermoth, the otto fish are sensitive to ammonia or water fluctuations but I only have 3 of them in my 10 gal tank. They also tend to stick together...same for my corydoras. It would difficult to add any more fish but you might be able to have a couple of rasboras - or a jewel tetra or the flame one all are schooling fish. With Tetra's you have to be careful of their needs some need acidic water - like the neon. So, if that's the case then the ones mentioned above won't do but I wasn't sure why you picked those fish.

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Back