1 Inch Per Gallon?

Sirron

Fish Fanatic
Joined
Aug 6, 2009
Messages
124
Reaction score
2
Points
0
So I have heard the general rule of thumb is 1 inch of fish per gallon as far as stocking goes. My question is when measuring the fish do you include the tail? I've always been confused about this. Sorry if this is a ridiculous question but I couldn't find a definitive answer anywhere. My lfs guys are no help at all :(
 
I generally use the folowing website for adult sizes
www.aquaticlifedirect.co.uk

it shows adult sizes in the info box on LHS
it also advises on min tank size and suitable tank mates

remember in 1" per US gallon and not UK

hope this helps you
 
No u dont include the tail

HA! Thanks, I should have just asked you on the other thread. I always wondered why a fish's tail would need a whole gallon to itself..... lol anyways thanks :)
 
And dont forget, this is only an outline- it doesnt work for putting a 12" fish in a 12 usgallon tank, only for smaller fish, plus everything takes its toll, fish stocking depends on alot of things, ie. lenght of tank compared to height(most fish dont need that much height)- take cherrys barbs for example, in the wild they live in rivers, barely 6" deep as portrayed in the pfk mag last month.
plus if you have a tiny filter with little room for maximum bacterial colonisation the fish waste wont be able to get processed quickly enough, causing illnesses.

good luck
 
Plus a fully matured tank is able to hold a larger bioload. Inch per Gallon is just a guideline.
 
Plus a fully matured tank is able to hold a larger bioload. Inch per Gallon is just a guideline.

Yeah, I agree with andy. You only need to go by this rule when adding your initial stocking. Then as time goes by, you can add some more. It all depends on how long the tank has been setup, and filtration.
 
Plus a fully matured tank is able to hold a larger bioload. Inch per Gallon is just a guideline.

Yeah, I agree with andy. You only need to go by this rule when adding your initial stocking. Then as time goes by, you can add some more. It all depends on how long the tank has been setup, and filtration.

Thanks for the info everyone, I know it's just a guidline. I was just wondering if you include the tail when estimating size for the initial stocking.
 

Most reactions

Back
Top