Zebra Plec Look-alike

🐠 May TOTM Voting is Live! 🐠
FishForums.net Tank of the Month!
🏆 Click here to Vote! 🏆

jarmado

Leader of the Pieces
Reaction score
what are the other types of plec that looks like the zebra plec?
i like the patterning on the zebra plec but found out that they are already hard to get and expensive.
thanks.

How about a yoyo loach?

yoyo_loach6.jpg

Similar markings? :fun:

How about a yoyo loach?
Similar markings? :fun:
i already got them - also the zebra loach and the polka-dot loach.
i am planning to add a plec this time but just that zebra plec captured my fancy but not my budget :sad:

:thanks:

how about the false zebra plec L199

there are a few different ones here as well: linky
very nice Studz :good:
are they readily available in the UK?
how much normally would they cost?

how about the false zebra plec L199

there are a few different ones here as well: linky

:unsure:

Erm... not a clue lol, I haven't really ever looked for them :)
I would imagine your LFS could order them for you, if they are a good retailer :D

I just knew of a few different breeds that looked like zebra plecs coz I've seen a few people say they got a zebra plec, and it turn out to be one of those blighters :)

Real Zebra plecs were available in my not-so-lfs a while a go, but I didnt know what they were then and didnt realise how rare they are, as I was only new to the hobby then. I guess I am now only been keeping fish for a little over a year and a half maybe. but I know a lot compared to then :D

King tiger pleco's (L066, also known as Scribbled Pleco and Network Pleco) are another black and white striped pleco, very pretty and don't grow very large, they are easier to come by than zebra pleco's but are still pretty uncommon but are cheaper than zebra plecos (usually about £25) :thumbs: ;

http://www.planetcatfish.com/catelog/speci...?species_id=174
another cool pleco.
i will ask my lfs if they can get a couple of this in.
thanks!

:unsure:

Erm... not a clue lol, I haven't really ever looked for them :)
I would imagine your LFS could order them for you, if they are a good retailer :D

I just knew of a few different breeds that looked like zebra plecs coz I've seen a few people say they got a zebra plec, and it turn out to be one of those blighters :)

Real Zebra plecs were available in my not-so-lfs a while a go, but I didnt know what they were then and didnt realise how rare they are, as I was only new to the hobby then. I guess I am now only been keeping fish for a little over a year and a half maybe. but I know a lot compared to then :D
i will ask my lfs for a price and if the price is just right, i might consider them.

so what differentiate a true zebra plec to the wanna-be's?
just the pattern and adult size?

As far as i know the way differentiate between zebra plecs and other plecos is mostly based on pattern, shape and coloration. Even with zebra plecs they are not all identical though in patterning, as you can see here this one has wavy lines along its side;

http://www.planetcatfish.com/catelog/image.php?image_id=2209

While this one has numerous thick black lines;

http://www.planetcatfish.com/catelog/image.php?image_id=5547

And this one has totally straight lines across its side;

http://www.planetcatfish.com/catelog/image.php?image_id=2781

Such variation is often present in many fish species which at first glance, all appear to be the same, but having looked closer, pattern or color variations sometimes appear. Clown loachs for example are often just striped, but i have seen ones in rare cases with big spodges or curved semi-circle patterns too :) .

Yep - those are all the real thing. Though be ware - lots of scams going around and have been since the whole export ban / Red Listing thing. Lots of people have lost lots of money.

Yep - those are all the real thing. Though be ware - lots of scams going around and have been since the whole export ban / Red Listing thing. Lots of people have lost lots of money.
thanks for the warning Bloo.
although i am not planning to buy any zebra plec - just the look-alikes :)
i would just like to see if what are advertised as zebra in ebay are actually the real deal.
:thanks:

Three of the four links had expired as the auctions are closed. The one I was able to open had a picture of a true zebra.

There are two L numbers assigned to zebras as far as I know. One is L-046 for the "standard" one and L-098 for the one with wavy stripes.

There is a wonderful site dedicated to zebras which is UK based and you can get a wealth of information there as well as find sellers in the UK--> Zebrapleco.com

IMO there is no other fish I have seen that really approximates the look of a zebra but that is not to say there are not many other pretty striped plecos. You might want to look for L-134
site1141.jpg

Sorry I had a typo in this post which I corrected- they are L-134 not 034.

Three of the four links had expired as the auctions are closed. The one I was able to open had a picture of a true zebra.

There are two L numbers assigned to zebras as far as I know. One is L-046 for the "standard" one and L-098 for the one with wavy stripes.

There is a wonderful site dedicated to zebras which is UK based and you can get a wealth of information there as well as find sellers in the UK--> Zebrapleco.com

IMO there is no other fish I have seen that really approximates the look of a zebra but that is not to say there are not many other pretty striped plecos. You might want to look for L-034
site1141.jpg
wow, i would love one or two of them. How much do they cost? Does anyone know any suppliers?
Thanks

Most reactions

Back