Yey Nitrites are starting to drop

newland

Fish Fanatic
Reaction score
Hi All

I've been running a fishless cycle for just over a week now and my nitrites have come down considerably. (Well that was till i added more ammonia into the tank)

Is it correct to say that if i add ammonia in the morning then the nitrites + and ammonia should be 0 24 hours later?

Is that when my fishless cycle is done?

Cheers
All.

I know there are many topics on a fishelss cycle when you do a "search" (very handy function by the way ;) ) but Undawada did a great easy step by step in this thread recently.

You should continue to add ammonia daily to raise the level to around 1 ppm until you are ready to add fish. Just check your ammonia and nitrite daily. If you are fully cycled and add ammonia in the morning, within about 12 to 14 hours, your levels should be back to 0. When I cycled my 75 gallon, once it was cycled, I was adding ammonia both morning and night as ammonia and nitrite were both falling back to zero within 10 to 12 hours. You will have to add ammonia right up until the day before you add your fish so that the bacteria colony stays fed or it will die off. You should also add 75% to 90% of your fish at once so that they can produce the ammonia to feed your bacteria.

Most reactions

Back