Yet Another Stocking Thread.

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

adzilla88

Fish Fanatic
Reaction score
Hi, apologies for creating yet another topic relating to stocking. I know theres lots already, but I've been thinking long and hard on what species to add to my tank next, and I seem to be making little progress.

Basically, I have a 125L Fluval Roma, with very good filtration, a Ph of around 7-7.5 and a consistent temperature of 77F.

My current stocking consists of:
4 Zebra Danio's (I originally had 5 but lost 1 during the first few weeks. I know that they prefer larger shoals, so I'll be upping these to 8)
A pair of Bolivian Rams (1m 1f)
1 Rubbernose Pleco.

The tank has been running for around 5 months now and I haven't added any new fish during the past 2 months. I do quite like gourami's although I prefer the opaline (sp) variety, which i think may get a little to big for my tank. Also, I know people may suggest cory's, but I think i require something that will reside in the middle to top regions of my tank.

Ideally, I dont want to add anything such as Guppys, Mollies or Platys (keeping one male to several females). Just fish that are fun to watch, and pleasing on the eye :look:

Thanks
Adam

Thanks Angelfishguy.

Well, today I decided to get 6 Danio's, taking the school up to 10 of those.

Now, I cant decide what to do. I already had an interest in the Harlequins, however some Rummynose,Green Neons and Serpea Tetra's did catch my eye today.

I'm unsure of whether to get another schooling species similar to those above, or get some sort of centrepiece fish for instance Angelfishguy's unbiased recommendation ;)

Thanks

Basically, I have a 125L Fluval Roma, with very good filtration, a Ph of around 7-7.5 and a consistent temperature of 77F.

My current stocking consists of:
4 Zebra Danio's (I originally had 5 but lost 1 during the first few weeks. I know that they prefer larger shoals, so I'll be upping these to 8)
A pair of Bolivian Rams (1m 1f)
1 Rubbernose Pleco.

Zebra Danios do much better at 18-20C, while most species of "Rubbernose Plecos" (Chaetostoma... Have you looked them up to ID your one on www.planetcatfish.com ?) do better ~22C, rather than 25C you need for your Bolivian Rams. The warmer temps will shorten their life span due to increased metabolic rate (which will consequently make eat more and release for waste), not to mention reduce the potential oxygen saturation point, which is rather critical to Chaetostomas.
In addition, your Chaetostoma and your Zebra Danios to a lesser extent appreciate current (aerating the water), while I don't think Bolivian Rams enjoy current at all (could be wrong on this point).

So in summary, you need at least two tanks for very different requirements, or a change of stocking.
good.gif

Thanks for the info,

I was already aware of the danio's and plec (Chaetostoma milesi) appreciating a faster flow.

I have also been looking at purchasing a new tank actually, so this may be the perfect excuse to do so. My Bolivians appear fine and are actively spawning and look happy. I'm pretty sure your point regarding the Rams not liking too much fow is correct aswell.

Many Thanks for your contribution. :)

Most reactions

trending

Members online

Back