Wound On My Betta! Help?

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

nikkifro8994

Fishaholic
Reaction score
My betta has been laying on the bottom more often for the past 2 days. I didn't get a good look at him yesterday, but when I fed him this morning, I saw a wound on his back near his dorsal fin. It looks like an open sore. Picture below. I just added 2.5 mL of MelaFix to his 5 gallon tank. I removed the carbon from his filter, but I left the sponge so that some good bacteria stays and it doesn't try to cycle again. What else can I do to help him heal faster?
8073817980_b86fef03b1.jpg

My betta has been laying on the bottom more often for the past 2 days. I didn't get a good look at him yesterday, but when I fed him this morning, I saw a wound on his back near his dorsal fin. It looks like an open sore. Picture below. I just added 2.5 mL of MelaFix to his 5 gallon tank. I removed the carbon from his filter, but I left the sponge so that some good bacteria stays and it doesn't try to cycle again. What else can I do to help him heal faster?
8073817980_b86fef03b1.jpg

Mine has that too but it has got a lot bigger than that, please let me know if you find out what it is :sad:

Your betta has probably got a bacteria infection. I would not recommend melafix as that is like an antiseptic, its good for minor bacterial problems but not for open sores. Just like some antiseptics it can sting, so imagine how your fish feels when getting dosed with that.

I would recommend a broad spectrum antibiotic. Check your lfs and ask what they have available....there's a lot out there to choose from.
I've used one called Aquari-cycline by Aqua Master.

Best of luck....let us know how your betta is getting on.

It's gotten worse since I've been using melafix. I'll go to the store tonight after work and see what they have. I'll also do a large water change to get rid of the melafix.

It's gotten worse since I've been using melafix. I'll go to the store tonight after work and see what they have. I'll also do a large water change to get rid of the melafix.

He's probably stressing out which makes it worse......careful with the water change, do it gradually so there is not a great fluctuation in temperature. The sooner you medicate him the sooner you can get him on the road to recovery. :good:

I did a large water change to dilute the melafix and started dosing with 2.5 mL of API pimafix. The store clerk told me that pimafix should be what I need. Squishy (my betta) wasn't looking good this morning. Hopefully the pimafix helps.

Melafix treats mostly gram postitive minor bacterial infections.
Primafix treats mostly gram negative minor bacterial infections.

Most of the fish diseases are caused by gram negative bacteria so I can't understand why is everyone dosing Melafix as a first choice medication.
Primafix(sois Melafix) is a mild medication, so if no improvement in a week you would need an antibiotic if not too late by then.
Is this an open sore or a type of growth?

Most of the fish diseases are caused by gram negative bacteria so I can't understand why is everyone dosing Melafix as a first choice medication.
Primafix(sois Melafux) is a mild medication, so if no improvement in a week you would need an antibiotic if not too late by then.

Melafix was what I had and the bottle said that it treats open wounds which is what he has. It didn't work at all.

Primafix(sois Melafux) is a mild medication, so if no improvement in a week you would need an antibiotic if not too late by then.

Melafix was what I had and the bottle said that it treats open wounds which is what he has. It didn't work at all.

An open wound infection can be caused by gram negative or gram positive bacteria.

Does the pink sore have white dead tissue around the edges?

OK. Just wanted to make sure the sore wasn't an ulcer.

If no improvement in the next few days you might want to consider feeding medicated food,.

Good Luck.

He's been like this for 11 days. He is getting weaker and the white cotton is getting worse. He'll swim to the top to get a piece of food or a breath of air and then go back to the bottom for 5 or so minutes. He's only been on PimaFix for 2 days. Hopefully it starts helping soon. I've only had him for a year so he's not very old. Only about 2 or 3 years.

If he getting worse you need to maybe think about using maracyn plus. It will knock your good bacteria in your filter.

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Back