What type of plant is this?

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

kaley822

Fish Fanatic
Reaction score
i got this plant but i dont know what kind it is, they fish store guy told me that it needed only low light but he didnt remember what it was called. Does anyone know what kind of plant this is and anything about it?

faabd05e.jpg

thanks in advance :D

It's a really good plant for everyone because usually it is rather easy to grow. And it grows fast :)

I think it's called anacharis in english. The scientific name is Egeria densa and here is the basic information of the plant: Tropica - Egeria densa

It is Elodea, or Anacharis. You can use either name.

The plant orginally could only grow in high lit tanks, but mine grew bunches in a low light tank. I dont think the plant really minds.

Alot of fish eat it, btw.

Good Luck! ;)
Dakota

uh oh, he lied then cause he said that it needed hardly any light. i only have a 15 watt light bulb in a 20 gallon tank, but he said this would be fine. the profile for this plant says it needs medium light, do you think it will die? :unsure:

It's hard to say. It might survive and even thrive. Lets hope it does.

There is a Advanced search -button in top of the Tropica's site. You can choose the light conditions etc. and the search will give you the plants that will do fine.

Good plants for low lit tanks are Anubias, java fern (Microsorum pteropus) and java moss (Vesicularia dubyana). They are quite common in fish stores too, so you might find them easily. None of them needs to be planted on the bottom gravel, you can tie the Anubias and java ferns to rocks or roots and they will eventually attach themselves to the rock/wood. Java moss is a clump of moss and you can let it float freely on the bottom or somehow tie it to a rock or wood like the other two.

Its Elodea as already stated it grows fast! IMO it will grow fine in your lighting, I have had it growing fast in a tank with low lightign before although it did benefit from using a fert otherwise the leaves went yellow and dropped off. :)

-Chris

1.5W per gallon... not much... a 5-6$ light might help.... but i guess you could try...

elona densa. mine grows mad. up to 3m,.! inch a day, but just cut it back

Dakota Ice said:
It is Elodea, or Anacharis. You can use either name.

The plant orginally could only grow in high lit tanks, but mine grew bunches in a low light tank. I dont think the plant really minds.

Alot of fish eat it, btw.

Good Luck! ;)
Dakota
wot fish? barbs, tetras, corys, algae eater? hope not

Most reactions

trending

Members online

Back