What to stock?

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

Super Nova

Reaction score
Hello!
So I have a 25 liter tank, and being new to fishkeeping, I trusted the pet store employees! I brought 3 mollies (got told they’ll be perfectly fine in a 25l/5gal) and one male betta.. a few days after I began to realise what a big mistake that was and how small the tank was for the mollies. Recently my 5 gal started leaking.. I thought what a great opportunity to upgrade to a 15 gallon tank! I’m just waiting for my heater and as soon as it arrives I’m rehoming my fish. Since it is a bigger tank I would like to stock it a bit more. All of my fish are males so I was considering 2-3 male platies and assassin snails along with either a dwarf crayfish or a few shrimp, or maybe a crab? I would just like some opinions on what I should get really, i’d really like some platies and bottom dwellers to keep the tank clean, and snails to clean the algae. Please let me know if any of those are a bad idea, and what I should maybe get instead!

Do you still have the mollies? Unfortunately a 15g is not sufficient space for mollies. They need at least a 36-inch (90 cm) length tank. Males will attain over 3 inches, females closer to 5 and sometimes more.

Platy are going to be crowded in a 15g too. And crawfish or crabs should not be combined with fish. Bottom dwellers will not "clean" much if at all. Snails are ideal for this.

Before we look at suitable fish, what are your source water parameters? GH (general or total hardness), KH (carbonate hardness or Alkalinity) and pH of the tap water; if you are on municipal water, check their website for data. You would be best with small species, even "nano" fish, but many of these will be wild caught so attention to the parameters is important.

Byron.

The mollies definitely need a bigger tank, I would try to find a new home for the mollies or return them. the betta can live in the 15 gallon with some small tetras, maybe the betta and like 6 neons, or maybe 6 white cloud mountain minnows, or maybe some small danios, but not the mollies. the Molly’s need a pretty big tank, I had 1 in a 20 gallon and it was fine, but it still was a little small for the fish.

Most reactions

trending

Back