What Is Your Job?

Ludwig Venter

Retired Moderator
Retired Moderator ⚒️
Reaction score
I think the "retrenchement" mode is on worldwide.... Those of us still in a job are soooooo lucky. What work do you do??... is this what you're qualified for or are you temporarily working there to find something else????

I know there is a topic to this effect, but it is very old and we have so many new members on here... I'm really interrested to know if ye'all are in a job???.... place photos if you have available.

I am in Environmental control on the mines in SA.... Currently on a Platinum mine, but I've done gold mining and Diamond mining.... It basically entails measuring the levels of- and getting rid of pollutions like gases, dust, fumes and any airborne hazards that are detrimental to health. this also includes general health issues like ergonomics, lighting, water quality and noise pollution.

Tell us what you do for a living and place photos if you have..... I have some photos somewhere & will post when I find them.

I'm a Police/Fire/EMS dispatcher, been doing it for over 8 years now. I spent my first 8 years in Kansas before I moved to beautiful (and freezing :crazy: ) Cheyenne, WY so I'm a trainee at this department, just a really experienced one. :lol:

I don't have any pics (not allowed) but I'll get around to posting some of Cheyenne eventually.

I do fish tank maintenance ;)

Have contracts with Waterstones, Heathrow airport, private and a couple of celebs.

I drive around 1000 miles a week though!

Plastics molding designer and engineer for very large consumer products company.

been here for 10yrs, but only in this area for 3.

I am a Search and rescue Helmsman on the river Thames in London.

I work for the Royal National Lifeboat Institution commonly known as the RNLI: www.rnli.org.uk

The RNLI since 1824 have in conjunction with Her Majesty's Coastguard supplied Marine Search and rescue for the entire United Kingdom. Over the last 10 years the RNLI has expanded its Life saving coverage to large inland water ways, Locks, rivers and beach Life guards as well as the 200 plus lifeboat stations around the shore line of United Kingdom. A large percentage of the crews are volunteers. It costs over £200 million pounds a year to run this organisation and cost to the Tax payer is £0 yes I know £0 how we are a charity!

I started when I was about 22 as a volunteer at Hastings in East Sussex I still do some mechanic cover there from time to time in fact I am doing some cover down there for the next couple of weekends: www.hastingslifeboat.org.uk

I am now employed by the RNLI and work at Chiswick: www.chiswicklifeboat.org.uk

Chiswick station covers an area of the river Thames from Richmond lock and weir to Chelsea reach.

Some pictures:

We are a charity and all crew get involved in helping the fund raisers here I am at Hammersmith collecting at Christmas

DSCF1823.jpg

A whole bunch of us on a sponsored walk in full kit im second from the right.

RNLI_Walk_04_ferrari.jpg

Some of the crew with HRH Duke of Kent (our patron who takes great interest in the RNLI and has supported us greatly) I am far right in smart kit (MAKES A CHANGE :lol: )

DSC_0635.jpg

Our form of transport the E class Lifeboat capable of 40 knots carrying a large amount of first aid and rescue equipment it weighs 3.5 tonnes.

RNLI_Chelsea_Pensioner.jpg

It can stop from top speed within its own length "9 meters"

emergencystop2small.jpg

I love my job so much day or night shift, summer or winter.

I hopped you enjoyed my post on what I do for a living, Originally i was a refrigeration and air conditioning engineer and took a £14K a year wage drop to do this job some say I must be mad but there you go :good:

Eclassatspeed.jpg

I'm an overqualified Pirate!! (Unemployed) Looking for work within the Instrumentation Tech field. Graduated a year ago from N.A.I.T. With my diploma and still looking.

I do tower work,mostly cell phone stuff.I've been in it about 3 years now,but I have 9 years of construction background prior to that.I don't climb all that often (I mostly operate excavation equipment) but I did for the first year and every once in a while I go with a tower crew.We get all sorts of safety and tower rescue training and re-certified to climb every year.It's a pretty crazy job really, but the views up top are really nice and the pay's not bad.

Looking up
DSC_0001.jpg

Looking down
DSC_0027.jpg

Taking a breather
DSC_0119-1.jpg

DSCF3374.jpg

I do I.T. support for a US IT firm that does all the IT support for a UK defence firm

Day to day can be pretty boring, although the place I work can sometimes be like walking onto the set of the discovery channel.

Just curious... do all senior certificate school leavers get a job that they want or do they at least get a job at all??....

just heard the figures in SA this morning.... only about 35% of persons completing senior certificate gets a job the next year.

I'm currently not working due to disabilities.

BUT I am qualified in NVQ level 2 business administration. I was a very good Probate Legal Secretary and I worked in the cash office too in the same company.

I am planning on trying to volunteer for the cats protection, will find out Saturday if I can help

I'm currently not working due to disabilities.

BUT I am qualified in NVQ level 2 business administration. I was a very good Probate Legal Secretary and I worked in the cash office too in the same company.

I am planning on trying to volunteer for the cats protection, will find out Saturday if I can help

Over here, the people with disabilities have a better chance of employment as it is law (as part of our "affirmative action" policy) that companies must employ a certain %age of disabled people.

BTW.....(Haych)..... :bday:

Most reactions

trending

Back