What Is This Algae And How Do I Get Rid Of It?

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

Corey90

Mostly New Member
Reaction score
I have a type of algae growing on my glass in my tank.  I have a Chinese Algae Eater in my tank and when I see him go over the glass he doesn't even seem to make a mark on it.  I also have a magnetic glass cleaner and it won't even scratch this stuff.  I switched to this 75 g tank recently form a 40 but I never had this problem in there.  Any Ideas?

Attachments

• IMAG0187.jpg
    IMAG0187.jpg
    74.3 KB · Views: 107
it's green dust algae best way to remove is to get your hand in the tank with an Algae pad and rub it off, will probably resettle so do large water change after cleaning to reduce it, it's believed to be caused by too strong a light source or prolonged light exposure :)

use an old membership card (like a credit card) to scrape it off the glass

Thanks I'll cut my light a few hours shorter for a few days after I scrape it off.  I just did a water change so that will have to wait.

You could completely get rid of all the light for a few days. Like plants, algae uses photosynthesis, without light it will die 

KirkyArcher said:
it's green dust algae best way to remove is to get your hand in the tank with an Algae pad and rub it off, will probably resettle so do large water change after cleaning to reduce it, it's believed to be caused by too strong a light source or prolonged light exposure
smile.png

I agree with the above.  I have a similar problem in my son's 55 gallon.  That tank has very good lighting and current flow but I don't add any ferts or Co2 to keep up with the strong lighting.  Best solutions are to cut down the time that you have the lights on.  Another solution is to get Nerite Snails since they're one of the only creatures that really likes to eat that stuff.  A combination of those two is what worked for me.

Thanks.  I scraped it all off when I did my last water change I haven't seen it come back yet.  I don't do ferts or Co2 either.  I will be moving soon because I am graduating from college and will need to move my tank so I don't think I will be doing anything new with my tank for a while.  Any tips on moving my fish and plants would be appreciated though.  It will be just over 3 hours to get to my moms house from here.

Most reactions

trending

Members online

Back