What is the rarest guppy/endler variety you have kept?

Thank you.

Thanks so much.

Not quite there yet.

LOL...
Well, I do ship abroad but I do know from experience that it may differ from state to state how strict customs can be when fish enter the country.

No worries... A lot of people make that mistake.
I would expect Florida would be one of the tougher states for getting them through customs since most fish can survive our weather if released in the waterways.

I would expect Florida would be one of the tougher states for getting them through customs since most fish can survive our weather if released in the waterways.
So, shipping fish to Florida could mean trouble. For shipping costs are not cheap and when they get confiscated by customs, it would be a waste of money. And I'm not even mentioning the wellbeing of those fish.

So, shipping fish to Florida could mean trouble. For shipping costs are not cheap and when they get confiscated by customs, it would be a waste of money. And I'm not even mentioning the wellbeing of those fish.
Right. They are too beautiful to meet such a demise. Not that ugly fish deserve it either, of course.

How is shipping to Ohio?

I have noticed the Canadian fish vendors won't ship to the USA due to tightened regulations

They look familiar, ha ha. Do you have other strains too?
Not yet, today I acquired some "wild" appearing males to add to my second tank with the excess females from the Japan blue tank. I tried a while back but the quality (robustness) of available fish has been disappointing in recent times. Today's dudes come from the same boutique shop as my Japan Blue's so I'm optimistic

I have noticed the Canadian fish vendors won't ship to the USA due to tightened regulations
Good to know. Well that should help keep me out of trouble from trying another strain. If it’s a problem from Canada, it’s not going to be better from the Netherlands. I’m just going to have to settle for living vicariously through emeraldking’s pictures. I’m glad he can focus the camera better than me!
Not yet, today I acquired some "wild" appearing males to add to my second tank with the excess females from the Japan blue tank. I tried a while back but the quality (robustness) of available fish has been disappointing in recent times. Today's dudes come from the same boutique shop as my Japan Blue's so I'm optimistic
I noticed the “mutts” I got from one rogue incoming female are faster and tougher than the Tiger endlers. Hybrid vigor. They chase the tigers and circle around in front of them making them stop in their tracks. Reminds me of that song beep-beep where one driver thinks they’re drag racing and the other driver keeps beeping at him, going just as fast, finally asking how he can get his car out of second gear.

It is illegal for all shipping to the US unless you have bought an import permit (a couple of hundred bucks last time I checked) and pay an inspection fee for every box at an approved port of entry. This means you have to pick the box up at an approved F&W staffed international airport. 10 years ago, it cost around $230 US for someone to import a fish.

If you are caught sidestepping that, the fines are heftier than the fees.

It's federal, not state.

I know of European killie people who have shipped to the US since those laws (they are 20+ years old, back to GW Bush), and had the packages get through. But it's smuggling and is the luck of the draw. Since I travel through the US sometimes, I won't ship fish there. It shut down my fish selling business, but you roll with the punches.

I've also had more trouble getting killie eggs eggs out of the US than from anywhere else - the boxes don't ever arrive when mailed from the US. They vanish. From Europe, they come to Canada easily and quickly, but the US has a very closed border.

It is illegal for all shipping to the US unless you have bought an import permit (a couple of hundred bucks last time I checked) and pay an inspection fee for every box at an approved port of entry. This means you have to pick the box up at an approved F&W staffed international airport. 10 years ago, it cost around $230 US for someone to import a fish.

If you are caught sidestepping that, the fines are heftier than the fees.

It's federal, not state.

I know of European killie people who have shipped to the US since those laws (they are 20+ years old, back to GW Bush), and had the packages get through. But it's smuggling and is the luck of the draw. Since I travel through the US sometimes, I won't ship fish there. It shut down my fish selling business, but you roll with the punches.

I've also had more trouble getting killie eggs eggs out of the US than from anywhere else - the boxes don't ever arrive when mailed from the US. They vanish. From Europe, they come to Canada easily and quickly, but the US has a very closed border.
Thanks for the info Gary.

But it's smuggling and is the luck of the draw.
I've shipped fish a couple of times to the states in the past. Most got through but yes, some were seized. But I already warned the buyers to consider that risk.
Oohh . . . I like that Campoma Blue Star . Very nice fish .
I also have them on a blond base instead of grey. But those blondes are hybrids.

I've shipped fish a couple of times to the states in the past. Most got through but yes, some were seized. But I already warned the buyers to consider that risk.
I know of a couple of US aquarists who were severely fined, and didn't just have confiscations to worry about. As a sender, I would go on a database that would get my car stripped every time I crossed. I wouldn't be fined as an out of country seller, but my wife would kill me. So no matter how many 'clever' plans US aquarists who want my fish propose to me, I never bite.

I know of a couple of US aquarists who were severely fined, and didn't just have confiscations to worry about. As a sender, I would go on a database that would get my car stripped every time I crossed. I wouldn't be fined as an out of country seller, but my wife would kill me. So no matter how many 'clever' plans US aquarists who want my fish propose to me, I never bite.
It’s not worth getting on that list.

Nobody can beat the long arm of the law . Nobody .

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Back