What Does It Mean When A Fish Has Red Gill Plates?

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

Sometimes when fish grow they develop there sex differences maybe this could be one of them. Look it up :D

Sorry to hear about your loss Durbkat :( I really do think you should invest in a test kit. This way you know the results are accurate without you having to depend on LFS to do it for you. And you can always see if you have water quality issues almost immediately, which can help your fish if you notice any issues early enough.

I use the API master test kit and it cost around $20.

Hope everything goes ok :) Good Luck

Durbkat did you get your water tested.

Oh yeah I almost forgot about this thread. Yes I did the results are P.H. 7.6, ammonia 0, nitrite 0, not sure about nitrate but she said it was in very good shape, not sure if this will help but like when the water changed color after she added the chemicals it was towards the very top of the charts which she said was good.

Nitrates are better at low results, like anything above 050 you need to do water changes to fetch it down,are they flicking and rubbing against objects.

So since it was towards the top of the chart that means it high? :huh: I have not noticed any flicking and rubbing against objects but thats because the cory stays towards the back or in his cave since he is the only one in there. But I have noticed that when the tetras are hiding under the plants they twitch alittle bit is that normal or what?

Sorry it's me need to get my brain in gear, that's fine them, thinking of bottom of the chart, if they are twitching yes it sounds like you have a parasite like gill flukes i would medicate as soon as possilbe, and they are very hard to get rid off.

Well they seem fine other than that and its not really noticable but I don't have a penny to my name and can't get meds till my b-day in may.

If you don't treat the tank they will die.

Don't you have any parasite meds, do you have any relations who need a few jobs doing for cash?.

All I have is maracyn. Nope no realtives in my area that has any money. There isn't much I can do since my grandmother is so stubborn and claims if the fish will eat and is alive and not laying on the bottom that its fine. I guess I'll just have to wait it out and hope they get better and if they don't and dye I'll nuke the tank and maybe put a male betta and a few corys.

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Back