What Does It Mean When A Fish Has Red Gill Plates?

April FOTM Photo Contest Starts Now!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to enter! 🏆

Durbkat

Untrainable
Reaction score
One of my julli corys has red gill plates what does that mean because the other one doesn't have it and I use to have 3 and the 3rd had red gill plates to but it died. So what does it mean and what can I do to help it?

Can mean a number of thing from bad water quality so will need water stats in ammonia,nitrite,nitrate,and ph, any laboured breathing or flicking and rubbing against objects.

I don't have a test kit, sorry. No he just doesn't move much and is smaller than the other one. I can't really see it breath since its a cory. But when I picked it up a moment ago his all I saw was his gill plates were alittle red and thats it. He started flopping around so I guess that means he's not to sick yet. I can get a water test possibly saturday once I build my 55g stand and if I can get a ride to my lps to get gravel and stuff I'll have them test it. Is there anything I can do?

If there is no laboured breathing and flicking and rubbing, i would suggest doing a water change as it could be water quality issue, get your water tested and ask them to write the readings down for you.

Ok thanks. I just got done vacum cleaning and once I get the results I'll post it on here if it doesn't die between that time. If I put a sample of water in a ziplock bag would the water be good if it didn't get tested for a few hours?

I've took sample in little bottles or tablet bottles i sterlised them first with boiling water, good luck, get back with the results, if you can turn aeration up in the tank, watch out for flicking and rubbing against objects, and laboured breathing.

No I meant would the water still be good and get the same results if it set in a bag for a few hours before it got tested. Like say for example the results were P.H. 7.2 ammonia 2 nitrite 1 nitrate 2 would it still give that same result after being in a bag with no oxygen or fish in it or would the results change if it didn't get tested soon after being scooped out of the tank?

Should be fine left it hours before i got it tested in the early days, good luck durbkat.

Sorry, R.I.P., I wouldn't buy anymore fish to you find the problem out, if it's poor water quality or gill flukes, as you are just wasting your money, get water tested if that ok, you could be dealing with gill flukes.

http://www.fishdoc.co.uk/disease/flukes.htm

Hope it isn't gill flukes little ******** to get rid of, i've had them in my tank, had to strip it down in the end, and medicate again, but now they have gone, here is some more info for you but i'm not the writer of it.
Gill Flukes

Symptoms:

Fish with gill flukes have gills that may appear red and inflamed, bleeding or slimy. Excess mucous or puss may exude from the gills. Sick fish can be observed gasping for air near the surface. This disease is most common in younger fish and fry, who are more susceptible to the parasite.

Cause:

The monogenetic fluke Dactylogyrus, which destroys gill tissue and damages blood vessels in this region.

Treatment:

Treat with Clout, Fluke Tabs, Paraform, Trifon, Paragon, Quick Cure, Formalin, orParasite Guard. Gill flukes are highly contagious, therefore, all fish in the same aquarium should be treated.

So do you think the tank is over crowded? Should I treat the whole tank or should I wait and see because the first cory that died from it was about 3 months ago before this cory even got it.

What do you have in it, see if you don't qurantine new fish they can fetch parasites into the tank, it could be water quality but won't no till you get your water tested.

3 red eyed tetras, 3 x-ray tetras, 1 julli cory. I think the first cory to die with it had it when I put him in because he was about to die within a couple weeks of having him so I returned it and got store credit and got another betta then this one dies at least 3 months later. Well when I get the water tested I'll post it on here.

Ok, also pick a med up for flukes just in case.

Coppersafe
Manufacturer: Mardel
Chelated copper treatment recommended for the treatment of ick, flukes, anchor worms, velvet, protozoan diseases and other external parasites.

Clout
Manufacturer: Aquarium Products
A very strong and effective medication for parasitic and protozoan infestations. Treats: Ich, Hydra, leeches, Planaria, Epistylis, Trichodina, Hexamita,Tetrahy-mena, body fungus, digenetic flukes, parasitic copepods, monogenetic flukes and anchor worms.

If it does turn out to be gill flukes, go in with half dose with the tetra's and corys, plus increase aeration with an airstone.

Most reactions

Back