What are you doing today?

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

I've had myself on a low sugar diet for 30 years, because my family has an oddball form of diabetes. We're told it's type 2, as it is usually diagnosed around 60, but symptoms of diabetes appear really early. The old testing methods didn't seem to catch it, but my Mom and grandmother were 0 to 100 mph diabetics - diagnosed and straight to insulin. I did the old tests annually from about 33. Better testing caught mine 'early' I think. it's new to me 10 years after they had been tagged with it.

So I'm fit, not overweight by more than a few pounds, and careful about food, but genetics will out. I bought myself time before I needed medication, and right now, it's working. Eventually though, your genes are disposed to get you. How much remains to be seen.

I often walk into the fishroom, look into the tanks and say "sweet!" This confirms I was right to never eat my fish, no matter how many non fishkeeper friends suggested that.

I've had myself on a low sugar diet for 30 years, because my family has an oddball form of diabetes. We're told it's type 2, as it is usually diagnosed around 60, but symptoms of diabetes appear really early. The old testing methods didn't seem to catch it, but my Mom and grandmother were 0 to 100 mph diabetics - diagnosed and straight to insulin. I did the old tests annually from about 33. Better testing caught mine 'early' I think. it's new to me 10 years after they had been tagged with it.

So I'm fit, not overweight by more than a few pounds, and careful about food, but genetics will out. I bought myself time before I needed medication, and right now, it's working. Eventually though, your genes are disposed to get you. How much remains to be seen.

I often walk into the fishroom, look into the tanks and say "sweet!" This confirms I was right to never eat my fish, no matter how many non fishkeeper friends suggested that.
I can't say that I'm low sugar but my intake comes mostly from sodas. Other than that I pretty much just use for my single morning cup of coffee and in tomato based sauces. When I was real young I was lactose intolerant and could not eat milk chocolate so never got in the habit of eating chocolate or many types of candy.

One thing that I DO avoid is salt. I use very little even in cooking. Let's see where I use salt... French fries, eggs which I don't eat a lot, pasta water and I DO put some salt in a pan if I'm cooking something such as a burger to keep the meat from sticking until the juices start to come out to do the same. Oh, I guess that I would have to include chips and nuts but I haven't had a potato chip in probably over a year and nuts are sort of a binge thing and has been well over 2 months since the last binge.

Of course the human body needs salt to function but 'table salt', in most cases is not even needed as it is included in many foods naturally. For example, 3 ounces of cooked lean beef contains about 55 milligrams of sodium, while fresh cooked pork and veal provide about 60 and 70 milligrams, respectively. Of course cured hams and processed deli meats are MUCH higher in sodium due to the processing. Salt is included in most things that you buy including even canned veggies (which I just about never use), boxed meals and even most fruit juices. Many say that you 'need' salt when cooking as it 'brings out the flavor' of other ingredients. That is not true as many ingredients in making a meal already naturally have salt included.

Bottom line is that I think it known that I like to cook and am pretty good at doing. I have had several people tell me that what ever meal I did was the best that they have tasted yet I added zero salt during cooking. I think it sort of ironic if I tell them that I used zero salt in the preparation and they say that it would have been so much better if I had added salt yet they had just said that it was the best they ever had. We are brainwashed that we MUST add salt to everything and it just is not true.

Anyway this eating and health stuff has probably gone beyond the scope of the real purpose of this thread and I'm guilty in this. Mayhaps we should start a new thread under general discussion about healthy eating? :dunno:

I do grindals and microworms. The room I keep my fish in is air conditioned. It gets really stuffy otherwise. And I figure it's easier to control tank temps by cooling the room down and using heaters to bring the tank up to the temp I want.
I always tried to culture Grindal worms here, but ironically, the most successful live foods I had in 12 years were brine shrimp and black soldier fly larvae.

Today I created an Instagram page for my pre-incubation business.

One thing that I DO avoid is salt. I use very little even in cooking. Let's see where I use salt... French fries, eggs which I don't eat a lot, pasta water and I DO put some salt in a pan if I'm cooking something such as a burger to keep the meat from sticking until the juices start to come out to do the same. Oh, I guess that I would have to include chips and nuts but I haven't had a potato chip in probably over a year and nuts are sort of a binge thing and has been well over 2 months since the last binge.

Of course the human body needs salt to function but 'table salt', in most cases is not even needed as it is included in many foods naturally. For example, 3 ounces of cooked lean beef contains about 55 milligrams of sodium, while fresh cooked pork and veal provide about 60 and 70 milligrams, respectively. Of course cured hams and processed deli meats are MUCH higher in sodium due to the processing. Salt is included in most things that you buy including even canned veggies (which I just about never use), boxed meals and even most fruit juices. Many say that you 'need' salt when cooking as it 'brings out the flavor' of other ingredients. That is not true as many ingredients in making a meal already naturally have salt included.
This is crazy to me, while I know it’s true and healthy for most people! despite me knowing that it really is truly the best option for normal people, It’s crazy to me that the recommended daily salt intake is less than 2,300mg,

While my doctors have me on 12,000-20,000mg of salt every day! And it’s still not enough unless I’m consistent with it! My heart issues are opposite to most peoples, so while that much salt would ruin their hearts it’s the only thing keeping mine going! Needless to say I get pretty weird looks when I take a shot glass full of salt and down it with a glass of water 😋

Today Linda and I are going to finish all the little snow removal jobs that need to be done around the place. Also need to resock about 20 birdfeeders and half dozen fat feeders. I will be using the snowblower to make paths for her to get to them. The half dozen or so down by the brook will have to be left for now as I do not think our old legs can navigate the steep ice encrusted bank. Been wanting to build a stairway down. Maybe this year.

@JuiceBox52 - I just went through pages of google trying to understand your high salt diet. I have never encountered anyone who said they were doing that before.

We're adjusting as a 90 year old family member came to live with us after a cardiac episode. She was using easily 10 times the amount of salt I do, I think because as we age, our taste buds lose their edge. It's been a tough transition. We had to reduce our salt too, to avoid cooking two meals. I feel like I did after I stopped smoking and rediscovered the taste of food. It is very different without pouring salt in. Other things can taste really good, once you adjust.

It's a business, even in a socialized medical system. I'll never go in and ask my doctor to prescribe some TV drug - if she suggests one, I'll listen to her reasons why. I don't get my medical advice between innings in a ball game. I'm astonished at pharmaceutical and 'natural' med ads.

Today, I have time to think about these issues. We are going to have heavy rains until the weekend, and the ground is spongy. I wanted to start garden prep, but I would sink into mud. I started my first wave of seeds indoors though. The local plant store gave me the excess plastic from when they repaired one of their greenhouses, so last year I turned a rotting shed into a greenhouse of my own. It gave me a head start on a short season, so I'll take what I learned and try to do it better this year. The heavy plastic got through the windy winter with only an hour or two of repairs needed. The roof is fine, and it's only one wall that has ripped sections.

We've got a house showing around noon, so we're about to kick into extreme house cleaning mode. Got a juniper kids bow that's about ready to put sinew on; might get to that this afternoon. Sure is nice to know I don't have to spend any time in a hospital today.

@JuiceBox52 - I just went through pages of google trying to understand your high salt diet. I have never encountered anyone who said they were doing that before.
I'm going take a stab at this and see if I come close... Normally blood pressure is dangerously low and salt is prescribed to help raise.

Rocky. I knew that guy before he joined the Hell's Angels...
A lot of people don't realize this but they specifically spell it as "Hells Angels" without the apostrophe.
Now there's a group with an interesting history. Did you know that they basically formed from the military? A lot of soldiers were introduced to motorcycles during WW2. And when they got back from the war, a lot of them were bored with civilian life. Joining a motorcycle club gave them some excitement. But there was a semblance of the military structure they were used to, like ranks.
Here's something else I learned about them. They are very protective of their brand. Ever notice how you don't see Hells Angels t shirts and other merch? And trust me, you don't want to be caught wearing one of their patches if you aren't a member. Or God forbid, a cut (one of their vests). If they catch a non member wearing those, they will beat you until you stop growing. They also sue more than you'd think. For example, they sued Disney over the movie Wild Hogs for copyright infringement.
I'm not affiliated with them in any way. I just heard a podcast about their history once and found it fascinating.

I think I'm going to treat myself tomorrow to a trip to Elmer's Aquariums, the largest fish store in the Pittsburgh area. Maybe grab some marimo moss balls. Maybe some river rocks. I know that they're cheaper at a home and garden center. I just need a couple and it'll save me another trip. Maybe something else will grab my interest.

I taught near a bunker, and their kids attended the College I worked in back then. I knew a lot of generational Hells, all studying criminal law.

It's a scary world we should never romanticize. Even here, I don't want to mention the products they sold through their extensive business operations.

@sharkweek178 Long ago, to change the subject, I gave a talk on Apistos at the Pittsburgh Club. They were one of the friendliest clubs I ever visited. Great people.

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Members online

Back