What are you doing today?

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
šŸ† Click to vote! šŸ†

I liked what you said but I didnā€™t like it . Hope that makes sense . Back in the day , at least in the day of my youth , doctors were pillars of the community and someone to be looked up to . A truly noble profession . Sadly that day has passed and doctors are just employees now . I remember going to our family doctor every fall for the school physical and Dr. Arthur A. Foeste was so nice . He always sat and talked to you and you had this impression that he was an important man but at the same time you just knew that he really cared about you personally . That must be what they called the bedside manner . The insurance companies and hospital corporations reducing these men to mere employees is terrible and is the same as what big business did to professional salesmen , customer service , quality and craftsmanship . I do not really like the world we live in with its mad scramble for more and more money . End of rant . Thank you for bearing with a curmudgeonly old sourpuss .
I understand and agree with you. My grandmother lived until she was 96. Her mind was crystal clear right up until the time her heart stopped beating. She was also reasonably physically healthy until the very end. But during the last five years of her life, she revealed to me that she saw no point in living anymore. She was not depressed, but explained to me she was born in a world before cars and airplanes and computers. She had a childhood before the first World Warā„¢. My grandmother was not depressed, but realized that the world had changed so dramatically during her lifetime, she no longer recognized any of its basic elements. She did not want to participate in this New World. She was ready to move on. Now that you and I are in the seventh decade of our lives, weā€™re beginning to feel what my grandmother experienced. Children born after the baby boomer generation will think that not only healthcare, but all the other crazy things in the world are normal. It is the new normal. This is how a society declines over several generations or more and few realize it is happening. They are born into what they perceive as a normal world not realizing that what became before them was so much better in many ways. There will be those that say Iā€™m falling into the trap of ā€œthose good old days quotesā€; ā€œthere were many terrible things about the past that no longer existā€. But we threw the baby out with the bathwater. There were many things that were much better, but they no longer exist. House calls and civility are just a few of the many I could mention.

I liked what you said but I didnā€™t like it . Hope that makes sense . Back in the day , at least in the day of my youth , doctors were pillars of the community and someone to be looked up to . A truly noble profession . Sadly that day has passed and doctors are just employees now . I remember going to our family doctor every fall for the school physical and Dr. Arthur A. Foeste was so nice . He always sat and talked to you and you had this impression that he was an important man but at the same time you just knew that he really cared about you personally . That must be what they called the bedside manner . The insurance companies and hospital corporations reducing these men to mere employees is terrible and is the same as what big business did to professional salesmen , customer service , quality and craftsmanship . I do not really like the world we live in with its mad scramble for more and more money . End of rant . Thank you for bearing with a curmudgeonly old sourpuss .

Sure, the insurance companies hold fault as do doctors. On the other hand let's look at the true cause that started this; all that being frivolous law suits. I mean, come on, A woman gets clumsy and spills her coffee on herself resulting in a burn, blames the fast food place for having hot coffee and is awarded 2.7 million in the civil courts. She gets 2.7 million for spilling hot coffee that is supposed to be hot? :dunno:

There is so much insurance fraud that 10% of payouts is fraud and that is only those finally known to be fraud. This equates to around 30 billion annually and the actual fraudulent payouts is likely MUCH higher . Then there all the frivolous malpractice suits filed against doctors. In such a case there are zero legal grounds against what the doctor did but civil courts do not require a legal basis and will award just because they feel sorry for the supposed victim. In today's world a doctor would be a fool to make a house call as someone is going to sue due to the doctor performing a service outside of a proper medical facility.

It is all a sad situation but, in my opinion, the real cause are the courts for allowing frivolous suit awards and the thieves that file such cases. The thing that allows this to happen is that it will cost the insurance company more to win than just settle out of court. As an example let's take a woman that I knew when I lived in Florida. If she were to be in a store and saw a wet spot on the floor she would fake that she slipped and fell claiming to be in pain. She would then settle out of court for a grand or two. This is the same woman that would complain about her son smoking pot but the real complaint was that he was stealing her pot to smoke.

Then there are people like myself that believe in what is right and proper. When I was biding time until retirement age, working at a local store running the photo department, a service group came in to strip the floors of wax and redo. Stepping on the stuff they use to strip the old wax is like walking on ice with oil on your feet. I, of course, fell which resulted in my hitting my head on the floor causing a bit of a concussion. I could have sued and it would have been an open and shut case as they put up no warning signs or anything as it was after the store was closed. Sure I could have sued but didn't as they offered to cover any medical expense and to make up for a couple of days that I missed work. To me this was a show of concern and a fair thing so I accepted. Sure I could have gotten a lot more but I don't want to ne one of the too many people that take advantage of 'the system' for personal profit.

LOL! Rant over. ;)

Sure, the insurance companies hold fault as do doctors. On the other hand let's look at the true cause that started this; all that being frivolous law suits. I mean, come on, A woman gets clumsy and spills her coffee on herself resulting in a burn, blames the fast food place for having hot coffee and is awarded 2.7 million in the civil courts. She gets 2.7 million for spilling hot coffee that is supposed to be hot? :dunno:

There is so much insurance fraud that 10% of payouts is fraud and that is only those finally known to be fraud. This equates to around 30 billion annually and the actual fraudulent payouts is likely MUCH higher . Then there all the frivolous malpractice suits filed against doctors. In such a case there are zero legal grounds against what the doctor did but civil courts do not require a legal basis and will award just because they feel sorry for the supposed victim. In today's world a doctor would be a fool to make a house call as someone is going to sue due to the doctor performing a service outside of a proper medical facility.

It is all a sad situation but, in my opinion, the real cause are the courts for allowing frivolous suit awards and the thieves that file such cases. The thing that allows this to happen is that it will cost the insurance company more to win than just settle out of court. As an example let's take a woman that I knew when I lived in Florida. If she were to be in a store and saw a wet spot on the floor she would fake that she slipped and fell claiming to be in pain. She would then settle out of court for a grand or two. This is the same woman that would complain about her son smoking pot but the real complaint was that he was stealing her pot to smoke.

Then there are people like myself that believe in what is right and proper. When I was biding time until retirement age, working at a local store running the photo department, a service group came in to strip the floors of wax and redo. Stepping on the stuff they use to strip the old wax is like walking on ice with oil on your feet. I, of course, fell which resulted in my hitting my head on the floor causing a bit of a concussion. I could have sued and it would have been an open and shut case as they put up no warning signs or anything as it was after the store was closed. Sure I could have sued but didn't as they offered to cover any medical expense and to make up for a couple of days that I missed work. To me this was a show of concern and a fair thing so I accepted. Sure I could have gotten a lot more but I don't want to ne one of the too many people that take advantage of 'the system' for personal profit.

LOL! Rant over. ;)
Yes , those frivolous lawsuits were a big factor and still are . My wife is good friends with a retired pediatrician who had his own practice . He closed up and retired early in the late eighties for fear of having his lifeā€™s work taken in frivolous lawsuits .

Yes , those frivolous lawsuits were a big factor and still are . My wife is good friends with a retired pediatrician who had his own practice . He closed up and retired early in the late eighties for fear of having his lifeā€™s work taken in frivolous lawsuits .
And let's not even bring in the HMO system where doctors are restricted as to tests they can authorize without penalty!.......

Actually, except for my military retired health benefits, the best outfit I dealt with was Kaiser Permanente that I had before leaving Ohio in 1987. Where I worked gave the option of Kaiser Permanente or Blue Cross Blue Shield and I selected Kaiser Permanente. Yes, technically, I suppose they are an HMO but they seemed to do it right even to the point that you could do a yearly FULL physical which involved three days in the hospital. Their attitude was that it cost them less to allow a full exam once a year then it would if things progressed that could have been caught early. They were also not strict about using their doctors. There was an eye doctor in the area that was a forerunner in research and procedures related to my eye issues that was not part of their group. My grandfather was one of his patients and told him about me and the doctor said he would take me on, due to my issue being military service related, which put me ahead of a long list. I went to Kaiser expecting to be denied but their response was that he was the best in the country, if not the world, and, if he would take me on, there was no way that they would deny the service.

Then there is Blue Cross Blue Shield which was my other option... My brother in law worked as a computer programmer for them. You would think that they would offer their employees a great package but not true. They gave the bare minimum to their own people.

Of my two choices which would you choose?

Then there was what I over heard at a clinic I was sent to when I aggravated an issue with my knee. I wasn't sneaking or anything but could easily hear a conversation between two nurses... Of course the following is not exact quotes but not far off.
Nurse one: The HMO says to do nothing but cortisone shots and pain killers.
Nurse two: But it is obvious that a knee replacement is required.
Nurse one: Does not matter as we have to do what the HMO says or we will be cut off as to money and we will be out of a job. He retires in less than six months and it will no longer be the responsibility of the HMO. I hate these situations but I need this job to survive.
Nurse two: I hate this but I'm a single mom and have to think about my child, this sucks. I hate this, it isn't fair. Yet I have to think about my own child first.
Nurse one: Tell me about it it. I'm the one that has to go in and tell this person that we can only give drugs to hide the symptoms. It is SO sad as he will likely end up disabled enough to prevent his being able to continue in his construction work and it is his dream to start his own construction outfit where he would still be in the field working. I doubt that he will be able to do so. I feel SO guilty but what can I do?

It isn't the medical people, it is the bureaucracy that is at fault.

It's really hard to discuss health care without getting political, which we aren't supposed to do. I am happy living with socialized medicine, but propaganda flies around and it's hard to discuss reasonably. Health care, gun laws, etc can have very different consensuses in different cultures.

I like my doctor. She makes house calls in cases of need, and gets things done very efficiently. My doctor before I moved was also really excellent and caring. Many of our more mercenary, money first doctors scoot to the US as soon as they can, and that leaves us without enough doctors, but generally (in my personal experience) with a lot pretty good people working for the right reasons in the profession.

Whatever doctors are doing this surgery, let's hope they are really good.

It's really hard to discuss health care without getting political, which we aren't supposed to do. I am happy living with socialized medicine, but propaganda flies around and it's hard to discuss reasonably. Health care, gun laws, etc can have very different consensuses in different cultures.

I like my doctor. She makes house calls in cases of need, and gets things done very efficiently. My doctor before I moved was also really excellent and caring. Many of our more mercenary, money first doctors scoot to the US as soon as they can, and that leaves us without enough doctors, but generally (in my personal experience) with a lot pretty good people working for the right reasons in the profession.

Whatever doctors are doing this surgery, let's hope they are really good.
I hope I can find a doctor like yours. I left my last appointment in tears due to the attitude of the neurosurgeon I saw. Itā€™s very discouraging

Donā€™t hate all doctors!
Here in Brazil, we suffer from a lack of doctors for insurance companies. Frequently, the doctors leave their health insurance, probably because they pay too little (this is especially serious for therapists and psychiatrists), so only the less experienced and the not-so-good doctors remain in the companies (however, I know that there are exceptions). Usually, the doctors receive good wages but, even so, many prefer living in other countries, because the crime rate here is pathological.

Also, is common to see medical students going to Argentina (the exams for entrance to public universities in Brazil are frequently extremely hard for Medical schools; only the richest can afford to enter and graduate since public schools are trash and don't have even the preparation for... preparing to the exams such as vestibulares) and, then, going to Spain.

I hope your father passes this fine. My best wishes.

Well, all of the doctors and nurses were excellent and my dad came through fine. I've had a few of the type of docs that my curmudgeonly friends here described, but over all most of them are excellent, in my experience. Hospital nurses, in particular, are almost universally among the most amazing people I have ever known. I think the problems with our health care system are many and complex, and I shall leave it at that. :)

Currently staying at a little hotelish place next to the hospital, sort of a Ronald MacDonald House but more geared toward grownups. A very clean, very classy, very comfortable place. Hopefully we'll get some good sleep tonight and a nice, boring drive back home tomorrow.

The best way to stay out of the ā€œhealthcareā€ system is to take care of yourself . To that end I have made some changes in my lifestyle and dietary habits . After five and a half months walking I went from two miles a day at a regular pace to four miles a day at a brisk pace and now Iā€™m starting to easy jog a quarter of my distance . It feels so good to feel my heart pumping and my breath drawing deep . I wonā€™t bore you with my spartan diet but I have lost a tremendous amount of fat and excess and none of my clothes fit anymore .
ā€œSteve Austin , astronaut , a man barely alive .
Gentlemen we can rebuild him . Better , stronger , faster ! ā€œ

The best way to stay out of the ā€œhealthcareā€ system is to take care of yourself . To that end I have made some changes in my lifestyle and dietary habits . After five and a half months walking I went from two miles a day at a regular pace to four miles a day at a brisk pace and now Iā€™m starting to easy jog a quarter of my distance . It feels so good to feel my heart pumping and my breath drawing deep . I wonā€™t bore you with my spartan diet but I have lost a tremendous amount of fat and excess and none of my clothes fit anymore .
ā€œSteve Austin , astronaut , a man barely alive .
Gentlemen we can rebuild him . Better , stronger , faster ! ā€œ
Very true but genetics are just as much of a factor. I'm 69 years old and take zero prescription drugs. My blood pressure is ideal and I have almost no aches and pains. I exercise a bit as in riding a bike and walking now and then but not on a regular basis. I consider myself blessed.

Very true but genetics are just as much of a factor. I'm 69 years old and take zero prescription drugs. My blood pressure is ideal and I have almost no aches and pains. I exercise a bit as in riding a bike and walking now and then but not on a regular basis. I consider myself blessed.
Youā€™re 69 ? I was 74 before I started all this and now Iā€™m 68 . But . . . . in all seriousness , if a guy has his health heā€™s got it all . I too am not on any prescription pills either and never have been . Iā€™m not diabetic and have no heart or blood pressure woes . Is it good genetics or luck ? I donā€™t know but I do know this . I wonā€™t ever let myself slide again . You get one body in life and if you wreck it thereā€™s no do over .

Today I'm waiting. I have a kitchenette area in my home that I'm turning into a fish project room. It's where I'll keep my fish stuff; buckets, supplies etc. I'm hoping to set up my live food cultures in there too. I had to replace the refrigerator. So I bought an apartment sized scratch and dent yesterday for a really good deal. That's where I'll keep fertilizers, frozen food, etc. With some help, I put it into place. But since it's a brand new fridge and since I moved it, I'm giving it 24 hours to let all the fluids settle from moving before I plug it in. It probably doesn't take that long. But what's a few more hours just to be sure? After that, there's a small oven that doesn't work anymore so I'm getting rid of it for the space. I'll set up some shelving in there. Then I can really get it organized.

Today I'm waiting. I have a kitchenette area in my home that I'm turning into a fish project room. It's where I'll keep my fish stuff; buckets, supplies etc. I'm hoping to set up my live food cultures in there too. I had to replace the refrigerator. So I bought an apartment sized scratch and dent yesterday for a really good deal. That's where I'll keep fertilizers, frozen food, etc. With some help, I put it into place. But since it's a brand new fridge and since I moved it, I'm giving it 24 hours to let all the fluids settle from moving before I plug it in. It probably doesn't take that long. But what's a few more hours just to be sure? After that, there's a small oven that doesn't work anymore so I'm getting rid of it for the space. I'll set up some shelving in there. Then I can really get it organized.
With that fridge you also have a place to store a white worm culture and not have it crash in the heat of summer .

With that fridge you also have a place to store a white worm culture and not have it crash in the heat of summer .
I do grindals and microworms. The room I keep my fish in is air conditioned. It gets really stuffy otherwise. And I figure it's easier to control tank temps by cooling the room down and using heaters to bring the tank up to the temp I want.

Very true

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Members online

Back