Water with Ich/Fungus

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

KoryKat

Reaction score
I recently lost my entire tank of fish to Ich and Fungus. At the first sign of Ich, I used Kordon Ich Attack. After a week of consistent, on time treatment, I began to double dose the tank as the Ich was getting worse. It continued to worsen so I switched to Kordon Rid Ich. Another week went by and stlll no better and was in fact getting worse. My 4 Peppered Cory's went first, then my 4 Emerald Cory's who apparently developed fungus as well. Over the past 4 days, 6 of my Orangeglow Tetras, and 5 of my Golden Cloud Minnows died. Just a bit ago, I eunthanized the remaining 2 Tetras and 3 Minnows. I used Clove oil which was very effective; they went very peacefully. My water parameters during all this were: Ammonia 0 ppm, Nitrites 0 ppm, Nitrates less than 5.0 ppm, Water Temp. 74.( I tested every other day using Seachem Ammonia Multi test, and API Freshwater Master Test Kit) I did water changes before every treatment, and had no carbon in the filter I have a 36b bowfront with a Fluval 70 HOB.
I want to re-stock my tank; I know it has to be done slowly. If I just leave the tank running, should I dose the heck out of it with Rid Ich for a few days? Just leave it as is for a couple of weeks, or drain it and start over? I want my new fish to be safe. It was very hard losing my entire tank. I would like to leave the tank as is (no fish) long enough for the ich to die off ( I m familiar with it's life cycle). If there are no fish in the tank, how will that effect my parameters? Please help with any advice. I don't know what to do!!! Thank you

Water Temp. 74

With ICH the first thing you do is raise the water temp to 32 deg c for 5 days, this speeds up the ICH life cycle and prevents it from breeding.

I recently lost my entire tank of fish to Ich and Fungus. At the first sign of Ich, I used Kordon Ich Attack. After a week of consistent, on time treatment, I began to double dose the tank as the Ich was getting worse. It continued to worsen so I switched to Kordon Rid Ich. Another week went by and stlll no better and was in fact getting worse. My 4 Peppered Cory's went first, then my 4 Emerald Cory's who apparently developed fungus as well. Over the past 4 days, 6 of my Orangeglow Tetras, and 5 of my Golden Cloud Minnows died. Just a bit ago, I eunthanized the remaining 2 Tetras and 3 Minnows. I used Clove oil which was very effective; they went very peacefully. My water parameters during all this were: Ammonia 0 ppm, Nitrites 0 ppm, Nitrates less than 5.0 ppm, Water Temp. 74.( I tested every other day using Seachem Ammonia Multi test, and API Freshwater Master Test Kit) I did water changes before every treatment, and had no carbon in the filter I have a 36b bowfront with a Fluval 70 HOB.
I want to re-stock my tank; I know it has to be done slowly. If I just leave the tank running, should I dose the heck out of it with Rid Ich for a few days? Just leave it as is for a couple of weeks, or drain it and start over? I want my new fish to be safe. It was very hard losing my entire tank. I would like to leave the tank as is (no fish) long enough for the ich to die off ( I m familiar with it's life cycle). If there are no fish in the tank, how will that effect my parameters? Please help with any advice. I don't know what to do!!! Thank you

Okay. Raising the temp no problem since there are no more fish. I understand this will speed up the life cycle of the ich. Should I add Rid Ich for 5 days as well? There are no hosts for the ich to feed off of so I assume it will all die within a week or less. How will my tank stay cycled if there are no fish in it? I know I can add carbon to get rid of the Rid Ich once the ich is gone and do a large water change. Will my tank have to cycle before I can get new fish? I have never had to deal with this. Thank You :fish:

I wouldn't add it
Okay thanks. What about my tank cycle? My parameters were perfect. Won't they get out of whack with no fish in there? Or how can I make them stay good until the ich is gone so I can get new fish?

With ICH the first thing you do is raise the water temp to 32 deg c for 5 days, this speeds up the ICH life cycle and prevents it from breeding.
I have turned the temp up to 86. Will my water parameters get messed up since there are no fish in the tank?

Most reactions

trending

Members online

Back