Urgent Help Needed! Large Koi Dieing!

Protozoan? Ciliate? Never heard of lumidia, sounds like hes making it up. Ask him to write it down.

Protozin is the only med that can get rid of protozoan parasites. If its sterazin then that wont work.
A formalin based med will work but there must be a lot of formalin in it to work.

If your filter has a uv on it then you will have to switch it off. Maybe for the future it might be a good idea to buy a strong uv to help keep the number of parasites down.

The only parasite coming close to looking like ich is tetrahymena or trichodina. When looked at under a microscope ich is a black dot so maybe its plain old ich after all.

if its any help they where tiny little black dots making fast circular movements

the stuff i bought was like mega strong 8) even had a kiddie lid on it

aparently he dont like to sell it to joe public as they tend to nuke the fish with it as you need to be really really carefull let me find the product online

and he did say it was a strain of whitespot.

http://www.kockneykoi.co.uk/productpages/medformalin.htm

hmmm seems tio be a slight improvement in behavior today, some of the fish that where really bad are swimming about a little more normally.

some of them also have very clouded eyes and what looks like white slime/fluff... almost like a spiders web on them... not like cotton wool...

the guy said this is normal with an infestation of parasites like this, and this is the least of my wories. And that if i try and treat it i will rREALLY be risking my fish.

Water stats

Ph 7.2
nitirite 0
nitrate 25
and rest unchanged.

Yes it is normal with parasites to have cloudy eyes, it's just a symtom of a desease rather than a desease in it's self, good luck.

noticed the strangest thing this morning,

one of the baby baby fish a koi that is about 1.5 / 2 inches long.... keeps nipping at all the other fish... he diosent apear to be sick either!

He isnt eatin koi sticks even when sinking right past him, however... a lot of the other fish have taken up having a tiny nibble on food again... which is good.

sooooo why is he doing this? eating dead mucus / parasite soup?

is jelous and also wants to become sick?

????

For now i would going at pecking at the parasites, some fish do this, good luck hope they carry on getting better.

okyday, looking better today a little slimey-er but all swimming about a lot more and even taking a small amount of food :)

sooo idk mayb im getting ontop of it :D

Good, try some frozen foods on them for a treat bless them, like bloodworms, brimestrimp, daphnia good for digesting there food, krill, black worms, microwroms, i would stay a way from frozen tubilex worms though.

just contemplating a salt bath.... any reasons why i shouldent? obviously only the koi and goldfish will be treated to it...

just to try and get rid of the cloudy eyes excess mucuss and any remaining parasytes.

read in two books that it should work for this... but nothing about weather its wise when im also treating with formalin

was going to use a seperate container and dip them at 3% for 5 mins.

comon household salt ok too?

just hooked this fish outa the pool,

q1 is that velvet? or mucus?

Q2: what fish is it? we dont think we have any female carp ... but it does look like a carp...

Thats another name for velvet which is very much like ick only nastier. Salting to .3 will kill it if you dont have pond plants but they need to be in that solution for two weeks and no more meds. Salt baths like you say is another way to go but must be at 3 teaspoons per gallon.
If fish are weak though they may start to roll in the tub so take them out and put them back in. It will be really difficult though to catch all the fish. You could as well do a second dose of the parasite meds and keep doing this until it goes.

i tried the salt bath at 3% in aprox 20 litres of water ( bigest container i had)

the first goldfish went in swam about for 1 min then rolled, so he went into the pond again and is now fine.... not cured just not sick.

Then i tried that baby from the pic ( thats before i salted) he went balistic so took him out straight away as i didnt know if he was in pain or not...

had the airstone in there too... but didnt seem to help

Most reactions

Back