Upgrading Tank

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

ElizabethFrancine

Reaction score
Hi there. We are in the process of upgrading our aquarium from a 10gal to a 20gal tank. Yesterday, along with the fish, I moved over the substrate & added more, moved over our filter, heater and accessories. I moved over all the water, and have added about 50% more so far. I checked the levels of everything today and they are all ok, except hardness. Any tips to make this a smooth transition for our fish would be awesome. We have 7 various Danios, a Cory and a Red Tailed Shark.

I think I need to upgrade the filter. I'm afraid of upsetting g the tank levels. Is there a good way to do this?

Most of your beneficial bacteria should be in the filter media. This is what you want to transfer. If you have a filter that you can take the media out of (sponges, bioballs, ceramics etc) then it should be a simple case of transferring the media to the new filter. If you have to cut the sponges so they fit, it won't matter.

As time goes on and your tank becomes established (where some of the bacteria grows in a biofilm on the entire surface of the tank, substrate, ornaments etc), you can look at slowly changing the filter sponges to the ones that are designed for the filter if it means enough to you. After a few months the tank should be mature enough that replacing one sponge every couple of months shouldn't affect the bacteria colonies too badly.

Could you let us know what filter you have now, and what you might be looking at as a new filter? It would be good to know the type (hang on back, canister etc), the make and model (e.g. Fluval FX5 or whatever) and what's in your current filter (Sponges, bioballs etc).

I have the Tetra Whisper filter for 10 gallon tanks. It hangs over the edge, has a sponge and a cloth bag with the balls in it. Are there any filter types that you might recommend? I could transfer the bag and sponge over if the filter is bigger.

On another note, this new tank doesn't have lights. Do these fish need lights?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

My Cory doesn't seem to be doing well. He is barely moving. Could this be from the move? What can I do to help?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Members online

Back