UPDATE: Fry tank setup

You can add the Tetra SafeStart Plus or Seachem Prime. It may be the left over ammonia from the chloramine which is a type that suppose to be harmless. I would do a 50%to 75% water change and pick up a bottle of one of the treatments and treat the water to be sure.
When should I do the water change

Jave Fern is a slow growing plant so it will do little when it comes to ammonia, I understand you position my LFS has hardly anything too and is just in the last weeks getting new fish and supplies in.

Jave Fern is a slow growing plant so it will do little when it comes to ammonia, I understand you position my LFS has hardly anything too and is just in the last weeks getting new fish and supplies in.
Yea. No fish or plants have been coming in here.

Just to be clear, you filled the tank with fresh tap water that has been treated with a dechlorinator and there are no fry or anything in the tank just like in your picture. You then tested the water and had a .50 ppm reading for ammonia- correct?

Just to be clear, you filled the tank with fresh tap water that has been treated with a dechlorinator and there are no fry or anything in the tank just like in your picture. You then tested the water and had a .50 ppm reading for ammonia- correct?
I filled the new 5 gallon fry tank with 2.5 gallons of water from
The original tank that’s been set up for almost 4 months. I also dropped the filter from the original tank into the fry tank. The other 2.5 gallons of water was dechlorinated.

There is nothing in the tank. The babies are still in the main tank in a breeder net.

And yes. .50 ppm ammonia reading.

If all the water in the tank was fresh dechlorinated tap water I would be confident it was the ammonia from the chloramine which was bonded to chlorine but I do not know what your big tank water has for ammonia. I would dump the water and fill with fresh dechlorinated tap water. You big tank's water has no real bacteria benefit. You could wait until you have one of the treatments and treat your tank before adding the fry. I have had fry in fry nets for a couple of weeks before transferring them or take your chances and put them in now.

If all the water in the tank was fresh dechlorinated tap water I would be confident it was the ammonia from the chloramine which was bonded to chlorine but I do not know what your big tank water has for ammonia. I would dump the water and fill with fresh dechlorinated tap water. You big tank's water has no real bacteria benefit. You could wait until you have one of the treatments and treat your tank before adding the fry. I have had fry in fry nets for a couple of weeks before transferring them or take your chances and put them in now.
My main tank is 0ppm ammonia. Our tap water has quite a bit of ammonia in it.

I’m going to test again today just to see where it’s at after adding the filter from the main tank. The ammonia worries me regarding adding the fry.

Haven’t tested it yet. Will in about an hour. Added some more water to it , dechlorinated of course. Will let that circulate , and check it again. All 8 of the fry are doing well. Have good appetites. Hoping I can add them to the fry tank today or tomorrow ? I’ll post the parameters soon.

Will this work for feeding ?

and currently testing parameters.

Attachments

• BE7AD290-8DA4-426F-B2EF-9B8D9C1F51B5.jpeg
    BE7AD290-8DA4-426F-B2EF-9B8D9C1F51B5.jpeg
    1.3 MB · Views: 58

Most reactions

Back