UPDATE: Fry tank setup

Kamdavid

Fishaholic
Reaction score
Just set up the 5 gallon fry tank. I used about 2.5 gallons of water from the normal running tank. The rest is dechlorinated water. Heater is running. Filter is running. How long until I can transfer the fry over ?

Here is a picture

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    1.7 MB · Views: 286
You need to cycle the tank, water from a cycled tank will not do it, The bacteria is in the filter, gravel and on items in the tank. You could add Tetra SafeStart Plus which has the bacteria.

Yes I’ll be cycling it. Should I add plants to it from the other tank or something ?

Take some filter media from the main tank and drop it in the new filter on the fry tank. Insta cycle.

You should be just fine to move the fry over to it

The filter is one that they say “you should change monthly” could I just drop the one being used in my main tank into the fry tank ?

The filter is one that they say “you should change monthly” could I just drop the one being used in my main tank into the fry tank ?
Yeah that should work

Ok I added the filter into the tank. And the light wasn’t working , it was a friends of mine. So I just added my extra lid with led lights. Looks ghetto. But will work. How long should I wait to add the babies ?

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    1.4 MB · Views: 291
Ok I added the filter into the tank. And the light wasn’t working , it was a friends of mine. So I just added my extra lid with led lights. Looks ghetto. But will work. How long should I wait to add the babies ?
As long as the temp is the same you can add them now

The tank has only been setup for a few hours though ?

should I test the parameters ?

I don’t want them to die. Water temp is staying at about 78,79 F

The tank has only been setup for a few hours though ?

should I test the parameters ?

I don’t want them to die. Water temp is staying at about 78,79 F
It should be okay, you can test the parameters if you want. With fry you will be doing frequent water changes and that will prevent any spikes that may happen.

And I forgot to mention. I did a water change yesterday in my main tank, and rinsed the filter ... so maybe it doesn’t have a lot of biological media in it ?

Most reactions

trending

Members online

Back