???Ultrasonic Pest Repellers with Extra Outlet ?????

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

ks2012ks

Reaction score
I am using these outlet repellers in my apartment with my 10 gallon aquarium ... 3 of these ultrasonic repellers are currently plug in... will this affect the fish. i had one connected to the same wall outlet where the fish tank cords were plug in...

DSC00177_Fotor.jpg

this is the description of the company's product!

The Bell & Howell Ultrasonic Pest Repeller with Extra Outlet and Nightlight helps protect your space from vile, disease-carrying rodents and insects like mice, rats, ants, spiders and more. It works well in your home, office, cabin, garage, outbuildings and other dwellings. Better yet, this ultrasonic pest repellent is safe and clean, using no chemicals or violent methods to kill pests. The device emits a constantly-changing signal that drives these animals crazy but is virtually inaudible to you and your pets. Made with a plastic casing, each of these 3-pack electronic pest repellers will withstand the test of time. There's also a outlet included with the device.

Based on numerous studies and comments on the web ultrasonic devices have little to no effect on insects and rodents. The best way to stop rodents is the plug the holes they use to enter the building. If you have no way for the rodents to get in you will have no rodents inside. You can do the same for insects but holes are smaller.

IN typical dry wall each sink water pipe goes through a hold in the drywall The insects use the gap between the pipes and drywall to get in Gaps also exist around outlets and light switches. Gaps between the wood of the wall and foundation are additional gaps insects can get in. I did this mostly to reduce air leaks to reduce my heating bills. It took a while to find them all but as I sealed holes I found fewer and fewer ant n my place. Occupationally they still get in but never in high numbers and never for long.

So in my opinion unplug them they are likely not doing much other than adding money to your utility bill. Also I don't believe they will effect the fish. ultrasound is more likely to bounce off the tank rather than fraveliing through. And fish don't have ears.

I have this ?, too, as I just moved the B&H repeller to outlet about 2' below tank. Does anyone else have these in their homes near their tanks? thanks!

I am using these outlet repellers in my apartment with my 10 gallon aquarium ... 3 of these ultrasonic repellers are currently plug in... will this affect the fish. i had one connected to the same wall outlet where the fish tank cords were plug in...

View attachment 84268
Probably not because those things barely affect rodents. All they do is emit a noise that rodents can hear but humans can't. You could get the same effect by leaving a radio on. If there's a food source or something else the rodent wants, those things won't do anything to stop them. Think of it this way, a human might not like the sound of an alarm clock. But if there's a hamburger on the other side of the room, then that sound won't stop a person from entering the room to get it.

I’ve used these before (my old next door neighbour used to feed rats in her garden). They had absolutely no observable impact on my fish. Unfortunately, they had no observable impact on the rodents either.

Thanks. How did you manage to stop rodents? Ours not in house but don't them to be.

I moved house to get away from the crazy woman next door that thought feeding rats was a good idea. Other than that it was a combination of setting poison, getting any holes sealed and making sure no food was left out. Literally all food was kept either in the fridge or a sealed.

Thanks! I think the ultrasonic may have killed one of my fish ;not sure. Had plugged in about 2 feet below tank. Fishy (Silvanus) died Sunday. I wish I knew what kind of fish. They are some kind of tiny tropical fish that were sold to me for like 3 for $2 like 3 yrs ago. Have had 4 births, one other death.
Anyway, after fish died others were kind of darting around much more than usual. That may be bc weather has warmed up. Our house was actually really cold this whole winter so it's kind of terrible that fish lasted the winter and now died. Water quality could have been better, though recently was changing more than usual at once. These are tiny fish in a 10 gallon tank w about 5 gallons of water.
Anyway, I didn't want to remove ultrasonic, so I plugged it into another outlet about 7' away where it's really kind of blocked by things. I don't know. Cleaned tank, put in a few more plants after soaking 24 hrs. Bc there's only about 2" - 3" of water in tank i haven't put in the air stone bc I really want to get a new one, but air stones now are very boring, Can't find the pretty ones in the shape of clams or shells or whatever. Don't know how to clean existing one and don't want to put it back w/o cleaning.
(I usually have more h20 in tank, but when I've just cleaned I just gradually add, as h20 has got to be really clean, and I think fish like it better w lots of hiding places.)
Any input appreciated.

Most reactions

trending

Members online

Back