Two dead fish within seconds

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
šŸ† Click to vote! šŸ†

No cleaners. I poured it in near the flow. Then later bubbles. It was odd. Also had small bubbles on my heater which was new.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

No cleaners. I poured it in near the flow. Then later bubbles. It was odd. Also had small bubbles on my heater which was new.
8828ab88ee9b22e81e4d8177c573cd95.jpg

I turned the knob last night to lower temp to 77. How long does that normally take?

Iā€™m wondering if when I vacuumed substrate and some of my arm dipped in I might have had soap or something on my skin? Like dried on after cleaning dishes or even shower gel? My tank is a 36 bow front so even on a stool my arm goes in when Iā€™m siphoning substrate. Because thinking about it the bubbles looked almost soap like. Hmmm

Did d you ever find the other shrimp? I really donā€™t think soap in that small amount on your hands would have killed that quickly.

I cycled with floss from my established tank. I added new biomax in with it. I keep extra floss in my established tanks to put in new tanks. I think I dosed prime into the tank yesterday early instead of checking parameters. And then yesterday evening I tested the water and poured more Prime in. The tank was real bubbly near the filter flow after prime.

Prime is not a "treatment" for ammonia/nitrite/nitrate issues, it is a conditioner for fresh tap water that will detoxify any of these in the fresh water. It should never be added except with a water change.

Prime detoxifies ammonia, nitrite and nitrate if these are present, but most of our tests (like the API) will still show the ammonia, nitrite or nitrate although it is (presumably) harmless. So you cannot use the test as a guide that something is necessarily wrong.

However, Prime's detoxification is not permanent, but temporary; 24-36 hours is Seachem's estimate, after which, if the ammonia/nitrite/nitrate is still present (though detoxified), it will revert to being toxic again.

And, it is possible to overdose Prime and harm the fish. Any chemical getting inside fish--and water conditioners are chemical-based--can be dangerous. The false sense of security promoted by manufacturers that conditioners can be safely overdosed is just that--false. There is no reason to use more of a conditioner than what is actually needed to deal with the fresh water. Exceeding this is, at best, additional stress to the fish, and that can lead to other issues.

Iā€™m wondering if when I vacuumed substrate and some of my arm dipped in I might have had soap or something on my skin? Like dried on after cleaning dishes or even shower gel? My tank is a 36 bow front so even on a stool my arm goes in when Iā€™m siphoning substrate. Because thinking about it the bubbles looked almost soap like. Hmmm

As a precaution, always wash your hands/arms well with just warm water, never any soap or other substance, and then thoroughly dry your hands/arms before placing them in the aquarium.

It is also wise to wash with soap after working in the tank, as fish can transmit disease to humans.

I definitely wash after with antibacterial kitchen soap. I got used to prime when I got thrown into an emergency fish-in cycle with a betta. That was like 6 weeks ago. So Iā€™m still learning. Thanks!

It would take a lot of Prime to actually harm the fish, in my opinion.

"Harm" may mean something very different to each of us. The problem is that the fish are impacted by any substance added to the water. This does not mean they are going to roll over dead, though some substances will obviously cause imminent death. But there is a risk with any substance added to the tank water, because they all enter the fish's bloodstream; this may stress the fish, or weaken it, or impact one of the internal organs. The aim is to keep all additives as minimal as possible so we are not pushing the fish toward the edge. The fish will be healthier because it is not wasting energy dealing with a foreign substance.

Prime has more to it than many realize. TDS, chemicals, affecting the nitrification, etc.

Seachem says.
Overdosing Prime isn't any concern. It won't poison your fish. It is a reducing agent, so what can cause an issue when over-dosed is that if there aren't enough other things in the water to react with, like nitrogenous waste or chlorine, it will react with and reduce oxygen. This can suffocate the inhabitants of your tank.
https://www.seachem.com/support/forums/forum/general-discussion/2314-prime-overdose

Doubtful that it is from the prime, however what about the pH. Is your tank pH different than your tap water pH? A large swing in pH will kill fish pretty quickly.

Also guppies and rasboras are top dwelling fish. So them being near the top isnā€™t unusual.

Doubtful that it is from the prime, however what about the pH. Is your tank pH different than your tap water pH? A large swing in pH will kill fish pretty quickly.

Also guppies and rasboras are top dwelling fish. So them being near the top isnā€™t unusual.

You know Iā€™ve never checked. Iā€™ll do that Tomorrow.

The fish were poisoned by the new water or something in the bucket that held the water. They were not poisoned by Prime or ammonia, nitrite, etc.

Make sure you use a fish only bucket and never use any container that has had cleaning products in.

If possible fill the bucket with water, add dechlorinator and aerate for 30 minutes before using it.

Rinse hands and arms down with clean water before working on the tank.
Make sure you don't have any moisturising cream, oil, grease, cleaning products or anything else on your hands. Anti-bacterial soaps can leave a residue behind that needs to be washed off before working in the tank.

The fish were poisoned by the new water or something in the bucket that held the water. They were not poisoned by Prime or ammonia, nitrite, etc.

Make sure you use a fish only bucket and never use any container that has had cleaning products in.

If possible fill the bucket with water, add dechlorinator and aerate for 30 minutes before using it.

Rinse hands and arms down with clean water before working on the tank.
Make sure you don't have any moisturising cream, oil, grease, cleaning products or anything else on your hands. Anti-bacterial soaps can leave a residue behind that needs to be washed off before working in the tank.

I use a spring water gallon jug, two of them, and I just refill over and over. Same ones Iā€™ve used for months. Iā€™ll get a bucket for fish and let it sit like you said though. I did get a new bucket. It wasnā€™t fish specific but I only used it to catch water from vacuuming the bottom of tank.

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Members online

Back