Tank size: 36 gallon bow front
pH: not sure
ammonia: small trace. Mostly yellow color when tested maybe slight green
nitrite: 0
nitrate: 0
kH: ?
gH: ?
tank temp: 80/82

2. A full description of the fishes symptoms. All fish were at top of water. 2 were Floating at top breathing heavy and lethargic. All within minutes of a 25 % water change. I dosed with prime since ammonia was slightly present. 1 Rasbora died and one guppy.
3. How often you do water changes and how much. A few times a week per parameter chart. Itā€™s a newly cycled tank so I keep an eye on it.
4. Any chemicals and treatments you add to the water. Prime a few drops per gallon before adding to tank
5. What tank mates are in the tank. 5 Rasboras, 5 guppies, 4 mystery snails, two ghost shrimp
6. Tank size. 36
7. Finally Have you recently added any new fish? Yes a couple days ago. Two guppies

Fish Symptoms (include full description including lesion, color, location, fish ( fish looked totally normal until I dosed the tank with prime. I kind of eyeballed the drops. Within a few minutes they were all up top

Chemical Additives or Media in your tank: established media from my established tank. Floss, sponge, biomax

Recent additions to your tank (living or decoration): a new plant not sure what kind

Exposure to chemicals: no

Digital photo (include if possible):

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Well firstly, if you're seeing ammonia and no nitrate then I would argue that you're not properly cycled. Secondly, that temperature is too high for the fish you have, bring it down to around 75-77. If I had ammonia present I would carry out a 60-80% water change. and continue to change 50-60% every few days until it had gone.

With regards to your fish dying within seconds, did you make sure the temperature of the water you put in was the same as the existing water in the tank?

I wonder if they were in a poor way due to the ammonia present and then the shock of a water change just finished them off. Hopefully a few more water changes will bring down the ammonia and you won't lose any more.

The parameters have been reading no ammonia. And like I said it was a very small trace if that. I do try to match water temp as best I can. Could I have put too much Prime in? Iā€™ve read that you canā€™t. I did turn down the temp last night. I read it can take a while to reflect that. I have two betta in other tanks so I was used to that temp. I noticed a lot of bubbles tonight. Like all over the heater. I almost thought it was eggs. I also have a bubbler in there I forgot to mention. But I have it set really low and slow. How can I make sure to match temp? After this happened I scooped out the other guppies and put in a gallon bowl while I changed the water. I did close to a 50% water change. The Rasboras were acting normal so a few hours later I transitioned the guppies back. They too seemed fine. I really hope they are still okay. I just woke and Iā€™ll check.

I have a planted tank and a lot of pothos in the top. So my nitrates are usually low.

I agree on possible water temp difference. For them to die that quickly it sounds like they went into shock. I hope you get it all figured out.

How do I avoid this? I also dosed the tank right after with prime. Could that have bothered them?

I usually feel the water before I put it in the tank. I match it close as I can and never had an issue. Maybe I can get a thermometer and temp it as close as possible

Thinking back they were acting odd before I changed the water. So I tested the water then did a small change. Hmmm

Temperature change during a partial water change isw not going to suddenly kill the fish as you describe unless it is a huge difference in temperature. Slightly cooler water (I use my hand to gauge this) is what you want to aim for.

Fish suddenly "floating" at or near the surface, gasping air, is a sign of something toxic in the water. Ammonia, nitrite, very high nitrate, chlorine/chloramine, salt, overdosed medications...all will cause this. If Prime was added to the replacement water before it was added to the tank as you said, there should not have been ammonia, nitrite, nitrate, chlorine/chloramine issues. But yes, it is possible to overdose Prime, but this would have to be a major overdose to affect fish this rapidly and as you describe.

As others noted, the temp of 80F is much too high for these species; lower it to mid 70's.

How did you cycle this tank? Do you have live plants?

I agree that it would have to be a large temp change to happen but I unknowingly did it when I poured too warm of water into a cooler tank. One glass with Prime was all. Poor fish went belly up immediately and died in a matter of minutes. Thermometers are cheap and good to have around.

I cycled with floss from my established tank. I added new biomax in with it. I keep extra floss in my established tanks to put in new tanks. I think I dosed prime into the tank yesterday early instead of checking parameters. And then yesterday evening I tested the water and poured more Prime in. The tank was real bubbly near the filter flow after prime.

They werenā€™t really gasping. Just hanging near the top. A few of them. I figured they were needed oxygen. The one that eventually died was hanging up top in a corner. Maybe the water change was the stressor that pushed him over the edge.

Yes live plants in there too.

Prime shouldnā€™t make the water bubbly. I know this is a stupid question but you didnā€™t use any cleansers did you?

I have two ghost shrimp in there. Iā€™ve only seen one. Itā€™s hard with my blk and wht substrate to see them. I wonder if one is dead and caused the slight ammonia?

Most reactions

trending

Back