Time Between Posts

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

Miles_hot

Fish Addict
Reaction score
I keep tripping over the time between posts thing which is a little frustrating - can it be trimmed back to 20 sec or so? I know it's only 10 seconds but I often don't take 30 seconds to read, compose and hit post, especially if doing a reply to a number of different points / posts of a thread of mine.

Not a big whinge but would be nice :)

Thanks

Miles

I understand the concern, but every second lowered allows spammers to post that much faster. We've kind of settled on the value it is as a balance between annoying people and limiting the amount of damage a spammer can do. If there are a lot of calls for lowering it, we'll re-consider it, but so far, the number of people expressing annoyance by the current setting is pretty low. So, I guess what I am saying here is: if you know other people who are annoyed by it, ask them to post in this thread expressing that annoyance.

I agree that it can be frustrating when you are 'on a roll' and replying to lots of topics/threads. However, if this wait prevents us from being bombarded with spam which we have to trawl through to find 'real' topics, then I think it's still a good idea.

I understand the concern, but every second lowered allows spammers to post that much faster. We've kind of settled on the value it is as a balance between annoying people and limiting the amount of damage a spammer can do. If there are a lot of calls for lowering it, we'll re-consider it, but so far, the number of people expressing annoyance by the current setting is pretty low. So, I guess what I am saying here is: if you know other people who are annoyed by it, ask them to post in this thread expressing that annoyance.

lol, I had a whole post on how removing this would help the forum.

my whole post seemed stupid, when you consider why its how it is. So.

occasionally it gets up my nose. (can i hear the distinct echo's of applause? :hyper:), not often though. and not enough to put up with any spamming this restriction is stopping.

I agree that it can be frustrating when you are 'on a roll' and replying to lots of topics/threads. However, if this wait prevents us from being bombarded with spam which we have to trawl through to find 'real' topics, then I think it's still a good idea.

The real tough part of the problem is that the flux of spam comes and goes. Its been pretty quit lately, but we've have times we've had hundreds of posts flood the system. So, you have to plan for the peaks, even if it leads to annoyances during the troughs.

I keep tripping over the time between posts thing which is a little frustrating - can it be trimmed back to 20 sec or so? I know it's only 10 seconds but I often don't take 30 seconds to read, compose and hit post, especially if doing a reply to a number of different points / posts of a thread of mine.

Not a big whinge but would be nice :)

Thanks

Miles

+1 on that one, can be pretty annoying.

I get it quite alot, slightly annoying, but worth it for the reason mentioned by Bignose.

I notice this issue a few times per month when I am typing up short replies quickly, but if it helps with the anti-spammage I can be patient.

i've been a bit frustrated at this. i only use a phone and i'll write it all out it will say tut tut and i'll have to write it out all over again. could this 30 second rule not apply for certain users? ie if you have 200+ posts the 30 second rule is no more for that user. i doubt any spammer would wait 30 seconds 200 times just to be pathetic hmmm actually they might

i doubt any spammer would wait 30 seconds 200 times just to be pathetic hmmm actually they might

ya, you'd be surprised what they do. Also, it could happen that an experienced used gets their account compromised, and start spamming. Really, considering how little traffic this thread has gotten, I think that while it is annoying to a few users, overall people don't know about or are affected by it much.

tbh i dont mind it... yeah its annoying sometimes but if it means spammers cant go about their stuff then im fine with it

this forum is generally one which spammers stay clear of anyway... compared to another forum i use (and im admin on) i removed 400 or so spam threads and barred 80 - 90 people

tff aint really got a reputation for being spammable in the spamming community

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Back