Tiger Barb..

digital_run

Fish Herder
Reaction score
Hi there....
I currently have four tiger barbs....all of them seem to be in good health...but...there is one out of the four who seems different...when the four of them school this one is always the slowest...the normal 3 seem to just cut through the water ( and get pretty fast! ) but this one is always slower and he seems to struggle....He is also a different color...The normal 3 have very defined black stripes and bright gold....the struggler is all black with only 1 black line down his face...he is active , and when fed he can hit the food on the water just as fast as the rest of them...but when they are just swimming he seems slower and always face down...is he ok..is this a problem with breeding ? I hope hes ok ...the black looks cool.. :D

Thnx

Itty Bitty Betta said:
You have a green tiger barb.
Sounds about right. Could have also been one of those weird Bio-Sumatran barbs that I saw at my LFS last time I was there. I had one like that, fell behind, got ICH then died. May I suggest buy a few more green tiger barbs? I just dont want yours to have the same fate mine did :/

I was just at the same Fish store....they have green barbs next to the Tigers...but he just looks more like a tiger...his belly is gold...but the Top half is completely black..wish i had a camera :thumbs:

Ya im gonna throw a few more Green barbs when its safe...will the Tigers and the Greens school together?

Thnx again

I have a green tiger barb that always swims very slowly and sits in the water with his face to the ground for the longest time. This might be what yours is doing. He also doesn't have any pectoral fins! He just has little stubs instead. I've had him for about two months and he is stillin the same state. However, he is quite active when there is food in the water. I'm not sure what to think. Any ideas? Thanks

Kevin

hi there,
sounds like an interesting tiger you have. green & stripey tigers will all hang out together. we have 3 of each & theyre swimming/mucking around together just about all the time. one of our green tigers though does seem to spend more time by himself, hes not picked on, eats as well as the others & joins in & wins just as many little fights with the others as the rest but he just seems to like solitude every now & again (dont we all!!!) :D :D

I have 13 barbs.

I have 9 tiger barbs, 3 golden/albino barbs and 1 green barb.

I feel bad that i only have 1 green barb but all 13 of them shoal together all the time so i'm sure he doesn't really mind. Since they all get together so well i kinda forgot about the idea of getting any more barbs. 13 is enough for me.

Tiger barbs and "green" barbs are the same species, Barbus tetrazona, so yes, they will school together. I put "green" in quotes because what is today called a "Green Barb" is the dark, line bred Tiger. The real Green barb is Barbus semifasciolatus, a very different fish, sadly not seen so often these days.

i have ten barbs, 5 stripey tigers and 5 green tigers. They swim together all the time and tear around the tank in a pack.

Every now and again 1 or 2 will be off playing in the fast water from the pump - mixed in with tetras. Apart from the first few days they have never given any trouble to any other fish cos they seem to have enough playmates of their own species to deal with.

Tonight two of the stripey tigers are in a head-to-head with each other, fins raised, noses touching, spinning round each other. All the other stripeys have their fins raised but are not involved in the battle, the greens are ignoring it completely. Nothing seems to have sparked off this fight - they are just mad!! :fun: :S :hyper:

Crazy fun fish. :cool:

Good news....i added 2 more Tigers ..and my little black one is AOK...Hes schoaling great with them...Hes swimming just as fast as the others....he looks great..and he stands out in the group ...Thnx for all the help :D

Most reactions

Back