The Great Algae Roundup - My Story

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

sophos9

Fish Geek
Reaction score
JamesC kindly sent a PM offering help and I spent some time putting the reply together, I thought it has the potential to help other so thought I would post it...

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Tank is an 180ltr, Eheim 2224 with Tetrapro, laterite and JBL proflora substrate. I have approx 200 fast stems (Egeria etc) along with crypts, wisteria, and hygrophilia. I have pressurised CO2 diffused into an eheim pump that circulates diffused CO2 bubbles in the current around the roots of the plants, lighting was originally 2 x 25w T8's of which I then added another 25w T8. I initially started the tank off and an experienced diatom, that's fine and normal then after 2 days of CO2 regulator playing up I noticed a green fuzz algae appearing.

At this point I did not have nowhere near enough fast growers. I increased plant mass and started dosing trace then moved onto dosing EI Lite (2 x 1/2dose weekly), fuzz algae went mad so I dropped the PO4 and just dosed KNO3. I noticed that nitrate levels were rising dramatically and therefore suspect a nutrient deficiency so I started dosing K2SO4, nitrates almost feel over night so I concluded I had hit the missing nutrient. Algae continued to grow at an amazing rate. I changed my lighting period to add a siesta 5 - 2 - 5 which seemed to stunt algae growth slightly. After reading some Barr reports the siesta is efficient but only works if you do not have enough CO2 to cover the lighting period. I upped CO2 and did away with the siesta; my live check was bust, went about 4weeks at approx 75ppm. After measuring and adjusting a zillion times I am stable at approx 30ppm (have got an electric PH tester coming to verify). Around this time I started getting a brown spider web like algae which was not actually attached to the plants it just caught on their leaves. This algae can grow about 4inches over night.

Then the lighting upgrade, removed 1 x 25wT8 and added 2 x 55w T5's with Daylight Plus, here I believe I made a mistake, I have about 3.33wpg which was not introduced over a good time period - within 3days the lights full lighting was introduced. First observation here was the rate of CO2 needed to increase, I increased about .5BPS and 30ppm is achieved, loss over night is approx .2PH - the CO2 comes on 2hrs before the 10hr photoperiod to ensure 30ppm is available for plants, also CO2 carries on for 2hrs after lights off to smooth the PH loss over night. Dosing is full EI, 3 x 10ppm of KNO3, 3 x 2ppm PO4, 3 x 4ml Flourish trace as per Barrs recommendations. Plant growth is amazing - approx 6inch of Egeria growth in 5days and plants are pearling like crazy, I mean crazy! The tank is one massive torrent of bubbles. I first noticed a haze appearing on the glass, wiped it off only to see it coming back within hours, water had a haze. This quickly turned into a full blown GDA, 2 days after the water has green algae in suspense (visibility approx 7 inches). Fuzz algae is non existent now, brown long spider web algae is no longer growing although there is some that needs removing at next water change. I have noticed an increase in stag horn (points to low CO2/nutrients?) as well as the GDA and green water.

Since the tank was introduced, I can only really remember the water being crystal clear once or twice, always contained a slight misty haze, ammonia and nitrites always at zero. I use Seachem Prime to treat tap water, when changing water I usually just add prime, poor tap water into bucket then into the tank (approx 5mins per 16ltr bucket). Water is circulated via a spray bar fitted horizontally at the top of tank that just ripples the water; a 300pa pump pushes co2 around for the co2 dosing period then shuts off. Tank temp is around 27-28c.

I'm at a loss to what I may be doing wrong, maybe things are right and its just time now for the tank to adjust? Any help gratefully receive

I'm surprised you were recommended 4ml Flourish. I'd say add 10ml 3x a week which is the normal EI dosing for your tank size. CO2 on 2 hours before lights is good but I'd turn it off with the lights or just before. I turn it off 1/2 hour before. Won't affect your algae, just saves abit of CO2.

Do your know what the KH and GH of your tap water is? I had problems with my GH as it contained no magnesium. I now add some epsom salts at water change to make up. Your local water board should be able to tell you what the Ca and Mg levels are. Just a thought really.

Just keep every stable and keep dosing and it should work out fine. I normally give it 2 to 3 weeks after making changes to observe results.

James

Hi James, hope everything is OK...

Water Stats:
KH - 6
GH - 18.4d
PH - 6.8 (7.8 from tap)
Magnesium - 8.68ppm
Calcium - 160ppm

On the subject of trace, I used 4ml as the recommended dose from the bottle, what an oversight!, should I be changing this then?

The water is green, visibility has reduced to approx 4inches now, the UV steriliser has been dispatched, probably Monday now... Is there any danger to my fish?

Thanks

Thanks. Water stats seem fine. Yep you need to be adding 10ml each time. Some people have reported probs with flourish and high GH regarding hazy water - just a thought. Fish couldn't care less regarding green water. UV will blitz it very well.

James

OK, will up the trace, its the last lot of Flourish I will be using, not for any other reason bar expense. Will swop over the AE trace (unless anyone can tell me of another similar cost to AE? :good: ) Will see what that does for the hazy water!

Thats good to know, the fish could all be dead for all I know, the tank is ghastly - my missus cannot understand why I have spent all this money to have this mess in the front room :no:

Happy days, at least the countdown is happening and I'm learning.... Purty purty algae :lol:

I cant offer much advice, bit I will be watching this thread closely as it develops.... there will be lots for a newbie like me to learn methinks!

my missus cannot understand why I have spent all this money to have this mess in the front room :no:

:rofl:
The same thing happened to me. She thought I'd eventually gone round the twist when I covered it all up with bin liners and some old curtains. The 6.35kg pub bottle of CO2 didn't go down too well either - managed to hide it very well so I just about managed to get away with it. Now it looks fab she shows it off to her friends who come round.

James

:lol:

The UV steriliser turned up today, I got it in and running now so fingers crossed, its 24w and turns over 410ltrs per hour. Its an internal, will not keep it in there, once the problem is gone it will go in a box!

The internal unit is a 24w FishRFun unit (I hate that name)! Despite the lousy name, upon opening, the unit seems very well made and a well thought out design, good cable length. The unit was running by 10:30, let see how long it takes to get rid of the green water!

The water that is circulating the tank looks like it has the thickest green fog you can imagine, I can watch the foggy water moving around the tank. The fish seem unaffected when I can actually catch a glimpse of then!

What are the suggested dosing rates for Flourish and Flourish Trace on a high-light tank? I'm currently going by the bottle like Sophos9 was but I'm assuming I can go higher due to decent lights and CO2?

NRY, when you say Flourish and Flourish Trace you worry me

The bottle I have is just Flourish
"Flourishâ„¢ is rich in gluconate iron, manganese, calcium, magnesium, potassium, inositol, choline B12, biotin, and other factors that have been determined to be beneficial to aquatic plants"

Just checked Seachems site and they offer Flourish Trace
"Flourish Traceâ„¢ supplies a broad range of trace elements demonstrated to be necessary for proper plant health and growth (see right panel for signs of deficiencies). Trace elements are normally depleted by utilization, oxidation and precipitation. The latter two processes occur more rapidly than with other micronutrients. This makes it important to restore trace elements on a regular basis. Flourish Traceâ„¢ may be used alone or in conjunction with Flourishâ„¢. Best results are obtained when both are used"

Have I made a holy mistake here? :blush:

If you are not adding any EI trace powders and are using Flourish for this then I think Flourish Trace is what you should be adding, possibly using both? Flourish contains potassium though, which would normally be added via powder, but I doubt the levels in Flourish are high enough to be a major issue if using both this and powder.

DOH!

Have just orderd Trace powder from AE... Wonder if this problem is contributing to my algae problems?

Ummm.... guys, Please give me some feedback here. I may have been overdosing MACROS.

Here goes... (takes deep breath)

I used Chucks calculator to work it all out, lets take KNO3 for instance. I used "Nitrate in Potassium Nitrate KNO3" and set my dosage accordingly so that 14ml=10.4ppm. I just read JamesC guide and thought he may have got it wrong, when I worked it out, the dosage created by JamesC takes into account both Potassium and Nitrate, mine is the same ppm but of just NITRATES, the ppm contribution of potassium had not been added so infact I must be Od'ing by just over 50%, this is the same for KH2PO4

Can someone let me know if I have got it wrong (fairly sure I have) and I'm presuming that this would cause a mass of excess nutrients... :blush:

How dumb, just spent some time on calculations and I have been dosing the correct amount.... bummer :no:

NRY, when you say Flourish and Flourish Trace you worry me

The bottle I have is just Flourish
"Flourishâ„¢ is rich in gluconate iron, manganese, calcium, magnesium, potassium, inositol, choline B12, biotin, and other factors that have been determined to be beneficial to aquatic plants"

Just checked Seachems site and they offer Flourish Trace
"Flourish Traceâ„¢ supplies a broad range of trace elements demonstrated to be necessary for proper plant health and growth (see right panel for signs of deficiencies). Trace elements are normally depleted by utilization, oxidation and precipitation. The latter two processes occur more rapidly than with other micronutrients. This makes it important to restore trace elements on a regular basis. Flourish Traceâ„¢ may be used alone or in conjunction with Flourishâ„¢. Best results are obtained when both are used"

Have I made a holy mistake here? :blush:

Nope. Just normal Flourish is what people who dose Flourish use.

James

Most reactions

trending

Members online

Back