The Great Algae Roundup - My Story

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

Yep, nice 1 dude. I admire your persistence in trying; many would have given up.

Great idea to draft up an algae journal - that would help 'da community' no end.

So I look forwards to seeing that and nice new shiny visible tank pics!

Andy

pH meters are cool - I got this type from the same ebay shop. Need to get more calibration fluid soon tough...

ANy pics btw.... I wouldnt mind seeing hows its coming along

As an eBay Associate we earn from qualifying purchases.
How old is your system now?
llj

Thanks mate, would you beleive it, its 3months now! 3 months of algae hell, I must be sad!

Yep, nice 1 dude. I admire your persistence in trying; many would have given up.

Great idea to draft up an algae journal - that would help 'da community' no end.

So I look forwards to seeing that and nice new shiny visible tank pics!

Andy

Yep, I've kept records of observations after changing 'a' parameter - will compile it all once I know I've nailed it!

pH meters are cool - I got this type from the same ebay shop. Need to get more calibration fluid soon tough...

ANy pics btw.... I wouldnt mind seeing hows its coming along

Cool, thats a 'live in the tank' one right? Same seller as I've just bought from, was it delivered quick? How often do you need to calibrate?

Pix will come soon, probably tonight...

As an eBay Associate we earn from qualifying purchases.
Well as promised, here is a new pic... The water is crystal clear and the glass is staying clean!

algae_005.JPG

Cool, thats a 'live in the tank' one right? Same seller as I've just bought from, was it delivered quick? How often do you need to calibrate?

I got it reasonably quickly. I should be getting my additional calibration fluid by the middle of the week. I'll let you know how my calibration stands up over time. Another guy on the board has one for his discus tank, he said it looses very little over time... i'll have to see how mine does. A little recommendation though... use mains power batteries run out too quickly!

Lovely pic BTW

Max

It`s starting to look like a quality tank Sophos. Let`s hope you now have the time to start scaping it in to a competition winner.

How about a splash of red in there as well?

Dave.

Lovely pic BTW

Max

Thanks Max!

great tank so! luv it itslike a jungle! :drool:

Thanks again for the kind comments

It`s starting to look like a quality tank Sophos. Let`s hope you now have the time to start scaping it in to a competition winner.

How about a splash of red in there as well?

Dave.

Dave, thanks... In my original posts I was going to throw some red in however i was waiting for the lighting upgrade. Then the algae hit, lights were upgraded then more algae hit, as soon as the first algae wave came up I figured I would not buy anymore plants (apart from the fast growers).

How things have changed, now I spend time looking in the tank watching the bishies and enjoying it rather than wondering where it all went wrong so time is on my side now.

My short term ambition is to maintain an algae free(ish) tank for a month or two - not doing much apart from trimming then when I know the investment wont be ruined by algae start adding some nicer tropica plants, contrasting colors and scaping

Out of interest, did you read my post on PH levels?

Hey! That's looking much, much better. :good: The tank is about 4 months old now, but you are right in your caution. I'd run it with the weeds for another month. When you do decide to scape, do it gradually, I think you'll avoid problems that way. This has worked well for me in the past. Go kick some butt in the competition! I'm assuming it's for PFK? I really hope they post this online, I'd love to vote for my favorite.

llj

:thumbs: :# :wizard: :beer: :band: :drink: :flex: :cool: :drinks: :drool: :yahoo:
Congrats, i show my excitement with smileys..Your tank looks good btw!

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Back