Tank Going Downhill Fast After 4+ Years

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

emilythestrange

Fishaholic
Reaction score
I have a 110ltr Juwel Rekord, which has been set up since july, with a change of filter with the same media of 4 years ago. i changed from gravel to sand in july.

I have been getting through so many fish lately it is ridiculous, its costing too much money and i feel disheartened with it all, particularly as i spent £130 on the tank in july, 25 on test kits and also 30 on the U3 filter.

I change the water every week, around 20%, I have tested the water tonight after taking out a dead guppy.
results:
ammonia 0ppm
nitrite 0ppm
nitrate 40-80ppm

1st December
10 guppies
4 platys
3 tetras
2 shrimps
1 cory

9th december

7 guppies
3 platys
3 tetras
2 shrimps
1 cory

I dont know what i am doing wrong whatsoever, i thought by knowing about stocking, water changes, buying a bigger filter than the minimum, testing the water, then i wouldn't have problems like this.

The guppies are slowly getting skinny, losing the volume in their tail, with some getting a red steak around the edge, the platies don't really show any difference before they die.

Sorry to hear this,where there any sign of disease on the fish at all,like fungus or white spots?

What is the pH of your water? It looks very tannin stained in the photo. If its soft and acidic like my water up here in Scotland, it might well be that your livebearers are not liking the water as they prefer it hard and alkaline. If so, you could look into soft water fish like more cories, tetras etc..

its not as bad as that now, the pic is from when it was first set up, the ph is 7.2... the mopani wood staining is alot better and not as noticable.
The fish last 2-3 weeks after buying them.
They lose weight, flick on the items in the tank, get a form a finrot and loose some of their tail. then get lethargic and die..

i have tried them many anti white spot etc, melafix etc in the past. but now i can't identify which disease this is, whether its 2 or 1 or even 3 different types.

not really, as everything was fine for the first couple of months. i wonder how the sand could have anything to do with it?

ilfish.jpg
guppy swimming in a downwards curve, hiding in tank, rapid breathing

illfish.jpg
skeleton platy, very very thin, funny looking gills like in patches theres a coating

You don't need to identify the disease exactly. Only if it's parasitic like worms/nematodes/flukes or bacterial for a start. If the fish are getting thin, stringy white poop maybe, wasting and such it's quite possible you are dealing with parasites. The problem with parasites is that they can always bring on a secondary bacterial infection but for a start get something antiparasitic like praziquantel and additional antiparasitic food and run a course. Praziquantel is used in the water and is almost harmless. From what I know even carbon is not needed to remove it and then the antiparasitic food will help with any additional possibilities. If that doesn't help at all or you suspect something in particular, then try a broad antibacterial med or an antiparasitic that treats different types of parasites.

Since she has a cory + shrimp, wouldn't she have to separate them to treat the guppies and platy's? Or would it be safe to just half dose the meds? (Is it half dosing + doubling the length of treatment?)

Well, the shrimp are a different story with meds and I would separate them. Not sure what affects them and what not. Corys are sensitive too so it depends on the type of medication used.

i cant seperate anything unfortunatly, these shrimp have tolerated meds before in the past, i have two ghost shrimp who seem as hard as nails!
I cant see any disease on my 3 tetras that ive had for yonks! its typical that the fish i want to keep are keeling over and im still left with the 3 tetras i am phasing out!

I have now..
4 guppies
3 platys
1 endler
3 tetras
1 cory
2 shrimp

and my pesat snail population is back ! grrr i have around 20

Im sorry just tried to search on google shopping and cant buy praziquantel anywhere... maybe because im in the UK?

is there anything else anyone would recommend me to try?
i feel understocked and my tank looks bare but obviously need to buy some meds first before wasting money on fish and watching them deteriorate

Have you tried going to the LFS and looking at what they have in stock? Getting it in person is the quickest way of getting meds.

Most reactions

Back