Tanganyikan Project

I think I need to read your post a few times before I can get the jist of it.....I`m blonde so easily confuzzled and I am sooooo tired that my brain seems to have taken a long coffee break at the moment :S :S :S :lol: :lol:

:lol:
I basically had my set stock then Mike got all those new Tangs in, you know what it's like :blush: Then when he said about delivering I thought use the money for more fish :hyper: then trading in the fry I thought even more fish :hyper: :lol:
Then when the Mrs said about getting the big tank my mind went into overload, which doesn't help when you're ill, cough, cough, sneeze splutter, violins in background :lol:
Funny you saying about the Sumbu being cute, they are like baby Calvus :drool:
I'll get the big tank I think and just fill it to the brim with your punk fry :lol:

Ok, got ya now :blush: :look: :lol:

What a bargain with the offer of a new tank huh :hyper: Well chuffed for you :good: :D
If there was some way of getting the punks to you, you would be more than welcome to some. I`m not sure what it entails sending via Courier though :unsure:

The fry are doing well, there`s still a good 20 ish in the big tank and the other ones in the 20L seem to be eating and swimming around really well, (I think there`s about 50+ in there). I love it when I switch the light on in the morning, drop some liquifry in and watch them hover up from the sand where they`ve been settled :D

When will you start stocking with the fish you`ve ordered from Mike then?

:fish:

I am aiming/hoping for next Friday, been unable to phone as I can hardly talk at the moment, my better half isn't complaining though :lol: I'll phone Mike soon to see what's what. If he is definately coming up in the next few weeks I might just wait till then and use the delivery charge and fry as "store credit" :shifty:
LFS has been in touch they have loads of cyp utinta :unsure:
I had thought of using the payment plus delivery plus fry and upgrading the order from Mike, i.e different Xenos and different cyps but I'll just leave it as it is and TRY :lol: to keep things simple... :nod:

It's really cool how all the punk fry are coming along, M.A. are going to love you when you take them for "trades" :cool:

NOT been happy with the look of the Ocean Rock on the balck sand :sad: Went on a hunt today, LFS had some nice pieces of thick slate but unfortunately all the adges were very straight cut so spoiled the natural look. Went to a garden centre but the road was flooded so didn't even get a look :lol: Managed one more place but the rocks were MASSIVE so just gave it a swerve. Removed all the ocean rock and added the few bits of Lava Rock that I have, looked ok but very minimal. Thought I lost the female Sumbu, hadn't seen her all day but then noticed the little yellow tail in a shell, awe :wub:
I used the 2 large pieces of Tuffa(?) I have but again I don't like the idea of mixing different types of rock. I wonder if I should just use the lava rock or put the tuffa at one end and the lava at the other :unsure:

Ocean Rock
Photo0819.jpg

Lava Rock
Photo0824.jpg

Photo0826.jpg

(excuse the blurring and the "mystery bubbles"..
Photo0827.jpg

Tuffa abd Lava (not a great pic.)
Photo0830.jpg

Was thinking placing the Tuffa like this at an angle and all the lava at the other end of the tank :unsure:
Photo0749-1.jpg

I'll give it another go soon.. Be nice when there are some fish in here, looks empty :sad:

It won`t be long before you have it all fully stocked and you`re happy with it ;) It`s horrible when you`re a perfectionist because it takes ages to feel right about things so I do understand how you feel :blush: :lol:

Personally....... I prefer the ocean rock against the black of the sand but I do think it needs more of it to make it look right. Obviously you have to be the one that`s happy with it but I just think the lava rock darkens it all down too much :)

It won`t be long before you have it all fully stocked and you`re happy with it ;) It`s horrible when you`re a perfectionist because it takes ages to feel right about things so I do understand how you feel :blush: :lol:

Personally....... I prefer the ocean rock against the black of the sand but I do think it needs more of it to make it look right. Obviously you have to be the one that`s happy with it but I just think the lava rock darkens it all down too much :)

I have about twice as much again in basins :lol: just don't want to add to much of it, gotta leave room for all those cyps to swim :lol:
This might sound a bit excessive but I laid masking tape on the floor to really get an idea on how much room the bigger tank would take up. Really hate to admit this but it's going to be very very cramped :sad: :grr: :crazy:
I had toyed with the idea of putting some Punks in the 20 once the fry are moved on :good: OR I had looked at another one of those odd looking "shop counter" tanks I already have, mmm 2 Tanganyikan communities, I could put all the "nutters" in the other tank :lol: .. after doing some sums I see that Seapets are doing the Fluval Roma 240 full set up for a nice price, I have the go ahead but I just don't like the height :lol: Might be an option though, watch this space :good:
I see you got more calvus, SWEET :good:
I saw these earlier and I have to admit very tempted :drool:

gold-comp-female.jpg

Comps1-4-10024E-1.jpg

Altolamps006.jpg

Altolamps1-12-11030.jpg

gold-comp-male.jpg

on the rock selection, id go for some grey rocks if you can get them for the reasons elise said in the other thread. Id put a few more in aswell ;)

I have about twice as much again in basins :lol: just don't want to add to much of it, gotta leave room for all those cyps to swim :lol:
This might sound a bit excessive but I laid masking tape on the floor to really get an idea on how much room the bigger tank would take up. Really hate to admit this but it's going to be very very cramped :sad: :grr: :crazy:
I had toyed with the idea of putting some Punks in the 20 once the fry are moved on :good: OR I had looked at another one of those odd looking "shop counter" tanks I already have, mmm 2 Tanganyikan communities, I could put all the "nutters" in the other tank :lol: .. after doing some sums I see that Seapets are doing the Fluval Roma 240 full set up for a nice price, I have the go ahead but I just don't like the height :lol: Might be an option though, watch this space :good:

Those look lovely and I am so hoping that what I got today will be ok with the blacks I already had :/

Your tank....I understand what you mean about open space for the cyps but if it was me, which I know it isn`t but.......I think I would try and maybe put another level on top of the ones you have and bring the piles in towards the centre just by one or two more rocks (if that makes sense?) I have about 10" from the top of the rocks on the left side to the water level and about 15" on the right hand side, the middle is about 12-14" open space. Not sure if that helps really but I`m trying to give you some idea on how much space I have and the cyps do have enough space to swim in :/

It`s frustrating trying to get it all right, I could have screamed so many times when I was setting my tank up and it still took me a couple of weeks of moving rocks, taking them out and putting them back in etc, etc to be happy with it, so as easy as it is to say 'Don`t stress' all you can do is keep trying until you`re completely happy with it.......even if it does cost you a fortune in masking tape :lol: :lol:

Those look lovely and I am so hoping that what I got today will be ok with the blacks I already had :/

Your tank....I understand what you mean about open space for the cyps but if it was me, which I know it isn`t but.......I think I would try and maybe put another level on top of the ones you have and bring the piles in towards the centre just by one or two more rocks (if that makes sense?) I have about 10" from the top of the rocks on the left side to the water level and about 15" on the right hand side, the middle is about 12-14" open space. Not sure if that helps really but I`m trying to give you some idea on how much space I have and the cyps do have enough space to swim in :/

It`s frustrating trying to get it all right, I could have screamed so many times when I was setting my tank up and it still took me a couple of weeks of moving rocks, taking them out and putting them back in etc, etc to be happy with it, so as easy as it is to say 'Don`t stress' all you can do is keep trying until you`re completely happy with it.......even if it does cost you a fortune in masking tape :lol: :lol:

I'll have another go on Tuesday, I think you could be right about the ocean rock being lighter and the lava rock making things to dark :good: I'm fairly sure I could stack it a bit higher, just wanting to keep as much open space on the bottom for the Xenos :drool:
It's a shame about the five footer but was looking at this today....

http://www.seapets.co.uk/products/aquarium-supplies/aquariums/fluval/fluval-roma-aquariums/fluval-roma-240-aquarium-and-cabinet-oak-and-wenge.html

at least it has filter, heater etc, it even has the lighting I was going to add :good: Tanganyikan tank number 2 ?

I'll have another go on Tuesday, I think you could be right about the ocean rock being lighter and the lava rock making things to dark :good: I'm fairly sure I could stack it a bit higher, just wanting to keep as much open space on the bottom for the Xenos :drool:

http://www.seapets.co.uk/products/aquarium-supplies/aquariums/fluval/fluval-roma-aquariums/fluval-roma-240-aquarium-and-cabinet-oak-and-wenge.html

at least it has filter, heater etc, it even has the lighting I was going to add :good: Tanganyikan tank number 2 ?

I like that Roma to be honest and the idea of the reversible doors (I read about it on that ebay listing). It would be an ideal second tank for the Tangs, good price too :good: :good:

I do think going by the space that the punks have taken up in my tank that you`d still have plenty of room for the Xenos, it`ll be trial and error until you feel it`s right though ;)

kiriyama. Little sidetrack. I read somewhere you bought a new bulb for your elite tank quite cheap. I couldnt find the post though? cheers

kiriyama. Little sidetrack. I read somewhere you bought a new bulb for your elite tank quite cheap. I couldnt find the post though? cheers

Yeah all the lighting went bust and the LFS tried to sell me a replacement hood :grr: I just ripped all the electrics out, bought a cheap control unit, glued the bulb clips on the inside of the hood, then robert's your mother's brother :good:

I like that Roma to be honest and the idea of the reversible doors (I read about it on that ebay listing). It would be an ideal second tank for the Tangs, good price too :good: :good:

I do think going by the space that the punks have taken up in my tank that you`d still have plenty of room for the Xenos, it`ll be trial and error until you feel it`s right though ;)

Once I get the Cyps and Xenos in there it will be pretty busy :lol:
2nd tank ? I think I would keep this one simpler, blue background, cichlid sand, ocean rock and a bunch of headbangers :lol:
Oh oh, saw baby dubs at LFS today :wub: would definately need a BIG tank for those :lol:

Finally making some progress :good:
Have tried various combinations of rock in 190ltr "shop counter", still not entirely happy :lol:

Photo0832.jpg

Photo0831.jpg

With regards to the darkness in the tank I ordered up a 30W 36" aqua-glo, awaiting delivery :good:
Spoke to fish supplier today and the Cyps are due in next week along with a few other oddities I'm interested in so I might just be adding more fish :shifty: Also arranged to meet up in a fortnight and trade the Sumbu fry so I'll be sad to see them go :sad:
I was going to set up another 190ltr "shop counter", after doing the sums on all the hardware I actually ordered online a Fluval Roma 240ltr, would rather have had a bigger footprint and less height but I will get to fill it with more fish (Tanganyikan that is) :lol: At least the tank has all the hardware and the lighting is the same as what I wanted also :good:

Ordered 2 of these

Photo0747-1.jpg

image_4645.jpg

and 1 of these

WhiteEggcrate_img_lg.jpg

So hopefully next week I'll have some photos of a new tank with some Sumbu fry in it and by the following week I should have some photos of some Tanganyikan cicjlid, fingers crossed :good:

I`m really loooking forward to seeing the tanks all done and stocked, I`m all excited for you :fun: :lol: :lol:

Most reactions

Back