Starting up a freshwater tank and need advice

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

Hmmm, the filter you have is not the one in the image on the site you linked to a few pages ago.

Can you tell us what's inside the filter, please? It could sponge, or a cartridge etc. Quite often these small filters have nothing but cartridges filled with carbon and if that's what yours has I recommend that you swap it for sponge before the cycle starts properly.

You can use a kettle to warm the water, I have for 20+ years. If you have a combi boiler you can use hot tap water to get the temperature right.

Ooops :oops:

That's what comes of trying to hurry :D

OK Salt and Pepper Cory (Corydoras habrosus) is a definite. The one I really think would be best and the one I like most out of the pygmies. I'm heading towards getting Green Neon Tetras (Paracheirodon simulans) now instead of Black or possibly just Neons but will wait and see. And to add a bit of spice I'm thinking Chili Rasbora (Boraras brigittae) too :fish:

Last edited:
The Green Neon (P. simulans) is a very delicate and sensitive fish. It will be wild caught, and the tank should be established. Cycling is one thing, but it takes the biological system a couple of months to really settle (establish). Any varying water conditions could cause issues for this species. A group of at least 10 is advisable so the fish will be more likely to settle in. You will need a bit more wood, and floating plants; this species like the close relative the cardinal tetra has what may be termed a light phobia. Not trying to scare you off this fish, but with good preparation it will be a lovely addition, though not as colourful as the cardinal. The two are sympatric species in portions of its habitat.

Water Sprite will be the next thing I buy. I also have my list of potential fish species if you could say yay or nay to what I have and tweak that would be great! Will only be wanting two species (not including pygmy corys).

Salt and Pepper Cory (definite) pH 6-8, temp 25-27°, dH 2-25°
Lamb Chop Rasbora pH 5.5-7.5, temp 23-28°, dH 1-15°
Chili Rasbora pH 4-7, temp 20-28°, dH 0-10°
Sparkling Gourami pH 5-7.5, temp 22-28°, dH 0-20°
Flame Tetra pH 5.8-7.8, temp 22-28°, dH 0-25°
Black Neon Tetra pH 5.5-7.5, temp 23-27°, dH 1-18°
Cardinal Tetra pH 4-6, temp 23-27°, dH 5-12°

My temperature is set at 25° just now but can tweak up or down if needed.

Water Sprite will be the next thing I buy. I also have my list of potential fish species if you could say yay or nay to what I have and tweak that would be great! Will only be wanting two species (not including pygmy corys).

Salt and Pepper Cory (definite) pH 6-8, temp 25-27°, dH 2-25°
Lamb Chop Rasbora pH 5.5-7.5, temp 23-28°, dH 1-15°
Chili Rasbora pH 4-7, temp 20-28°, dH 0-10°
Sparkling Gourami pH 5-7.5, temp 22-28°, dH 0-20°
Flame Tetra pH 5.8-7.8, temp 22-28°, dH 0-25°
Black Neon Tetra pH 5.5-7.5, temp 23-27°, dH 1-18°
Cardinal Tetra pH 4-6, temp 23-27°, dH 5-12°

My temperature is set at 25° just now but can tweak up or down if needed.

Temperature is fine. Unless one has species requiring higher temperatures, a temp around 24-25C (75-77F) is a fairly good median range for most species, certainly those mentioned here.

I am assuming the tank is around the 15 gallon (56 liter) volume, am I correct? Assuming that is what you have...

Flame Tetra are too active for this tank space. The other species will work, provided you have floating plants and are regular (weekly) with partial water changes of 50-60% of the volume at each weekly change.

Remember the level in the tank that a species is most likely to occupy and try to avoid all the fish being in the same level. The sparkling gourami are surface (primarily), the rasbora (whichever) are mid-level, the cardinal and black neon tend to be lower half, the cories obviously lower/substrate.

Hi everyone! I'm getting a fish tank for my birthday at the end of March and would like to keep some freshwater species maybe a mix of 2 or 3 kinds? Thinking maybe a group of 5 or more danios, 5 or more tetras or platies and 2 or 3 little Corydoras. I don't want goldfish. I will be putting my tank on a heavy chest of drawers and the measurements are 70cm length, 35cm height, and 30cm depth. Can't be any larger. I have seen one I like on Argos which is 54 litre (12 gallons) and includes some food, heater, water conditioner etc would this be a good make to get? https://www.argos.co.uk/product/883...132rLdxJtVDJUwoHxHwF5pCu6GlBGWiIaAgWyEALw_wcB
I will also check up at the store to see what they have as this is where I will be getting my fish too (Fishkeeper Scotland at Dobbies Garden Centre). Have been looking up online as I really want to get this right and don't want to screw it up and have the fish die. I'm a bit confused with the amount of cycles you have to do and what's the best way to do it. I have seen a freshwater tester kit on Amazon that I was thinking of buying so I can do all my tests etc is this worth getting? https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B000255NCI/?tag= Is it better to put in live plants or fake ones? I think that'll do for just now I have so many questions but any help you can give me would be great thanks!

I suggest getting the biggest size tank possible. I've been in the hobby for more than 5 years now and have found that my fish appreciate the bigger tank. The bigger the tank the better (unless of course you have a betta in which case 5 gallons tank would work ok). However for all the fish you mentioned, I would recommend a 55 gallon tank or more. I usually check this website for stocking advice... http://www.aqadvisor.com/

As an Amazon Associate we earn from qualifying purchases.
Thank you both. Yes having different fish at different levels is important. I have set my heart on the Sparkling Gouramis now :oops: lyn the tank was a birthday present from my Mum which we saw instore and there's no way I'm getting a bigger tank now after sorting this one out and plus my Mum would kill me! There was one I was considering getting before we went to the shop (page 1 message 12) but my Mum said 'Geez how big you wanting it? It's only for a few fish' so got this one instead :)

Hi everyone! I'm getting a fish tank for my birthday at the end of March and would like to keep some freshwater species maybe a mix of 2 or 3 kinds? Thinking maybe a group of 5 or more danios, 5 or more tetras or platies and 2 or 3 little Corydoras. I don't want goldfish. I will be putting my tank on a heavy chest of drawers and the measurements are 70cm length, 35cm height, and 30cm depth. Can't be any larger. I have seen one I like on Argos which is 54 litre (12 gallons) and includes some food, heater, water conditioner etc would this be a good make to get? https://www.argos.co.uk/product/883...132rLdxJtVDJUwoHxHwF5pCu6GlBGWiIaAgWyEALw_wcB
I will also check up at the store to see what they have as this is where I will be getting my fish too (Fishkeeper Scotland at Dobbies Garden Centre). Have been looking up online as I really want to get this right and don't want to screw it up and have the fish die. I'm a bit confused with the amount of cycles you have to do and what's the best way to do it. I have seen a freshwater tester kit on Amazon that I was thinking of buying so I can do all my tests etc is this worth getting? https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B000255NCI/?tag= Is it better to put in live plants or fake ones? I think that'll do for just now I have so many questions but any help you can give me would be great thanks!
You might want to get a little more Cory’s. They tend to get stressed if not i groups of 5+

As an Amazon Associate we earn from qualifying purchases.
OK thanks! Thinking a group of five or six pygmy corys and some Sparkling Gouramis will be enough for this tank and give me hours of delight watching them :)

OK thanks! Thinking a group of five or six pygmy corys and some Sparkling Gouramis will be enough for this tank and give me hours of delight watching them :)

You need more pygmy cories than just five or six. This species is better with larger groups, say 9-12. You have the space here, so I would go for 12.

Would four or five habrosus mix with four or five pygmeus or is it best to get all of one species? And would that be including four or five Gouramis?

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Back