Starting up a freshwater tank and need advice

April FOTM Photo Contest Starts Now!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to enter! 🏆

Including four or five Gouramis?

Five or six sparkling gourami, and 12 pygmy cories. And to provide some nice colour mid-water, I would consider a group of dwarf rasbora (Boraras sp.) or Ember Tetra, a group of 8-9 of whichever.

Oooh really? I thought that would be too much for a 12 gallon but that sounds great! :D

I would like to confirm the tank size as it seems to vary from post to post. ???? I am going by the 56 liter tank linked a couple pages back, and that equates to 15 US gallons.

Always better to get more of ONE species than to go with a mix of two and hope that they mix.

12 habrosus or 12 pygmies... gotta choose one or the other, sorry.

And I second, Byron's question. The volume of this tank seems to be a question as it does seem to be fluid at the moment.

It is 56 litres which when I put in Google said it is 12.3183 imperial gallons sorry didn't know the difference between US and imperial :oops:

ok. Then we are all straight.

56 Liters
12.3 Imp Gallons
14.8 US Gallons

Now we have the tank size confirmed, there is also confusion over the species. I agree with eagles that either cory, habrosus or pygmaeus, in a group of 12 (my recommended number having kept and spawned these for many years). Then the 5-6 sparkling gourami, and if you like the 8-9 group of Ember Tetra or Boraras rasbora.

Now we are all on the same page I think. :drinks:

Have a drink on me you need it after my endless waffling! :beer:

We are used to it. Honestly, its better to waffle now with a cycling tank and get the right fish when the time comes... than to go full bash with the wrong fish and then regret it after you find out and you have an uncycled tank.

We've seen situations where someone comes in and says they have a 15 G tank like yours, have a bala shark, a common pleco and a dozen other fish, and can't seem to figure out why their tank isn't working out the way they'd hoped.

There's this deep-rooted misconception that fish only grow to the size of their container... and that is so far from the reality. A big fish in a small tank will not grow as big as it would if it were kept in a larger container... that's true. But... the reason is that it will grow deformed and die at a young age. Its very sad. Its the equivalent of keeping a great dane puppy in a 3 foot cube... it just doesn't work. These animals are our responsibility and we need to do the very best we can for them, as they entertain us with their antics... and frankly... their antics will be far better when kept properly.

For example... I've been a fan of tiger barbs since I first laid eyes on them as a pre-teen. BUT... they weren't suitable for the other fish we kept, so they were always on the 'No' list. It was sad. But, this year (just a few months ago, actually) my old stock had reached a sufficiently low number that I thought it was time for a change. So, my remaining 4 tetras moved out of the 55 gallon... and into a 15 gallon retirement home. And my 55 gallon was turned into a tiger barb tank. I now have tigers, rosys and a rainbow shark. Lovely tank, very active, but the fish are appropriate together.

The point: You will have many many fish in your lifetime. Waffle here and there, but always keep the fish that are appropriate for the tank (and tankmates) that you have. BUT... keep that wish list in the back of your mind for when you get a bigger tank, another tank, etc. This hobby is highly addictive, and the more you know about the fish out there, the more you want more tanks and more of them. This is just the tip of the iceberg for you. And just because you can't have all the fish you fall in love with today, doesn't mean that you never can. I waited over 25 years for tiger barbs. ;)

I love tiger barbs and the green ones too! I will daydream about them but for just now I adore the little pygmy corys can't wait til I get some! And completely agree with you about tank size etc hence all the questions I want to get this right and do it properly ;)

Last edited:
[url=https://ibb.co/2PLh2Kz][/URL]

Just a little update. I removed the plants from their pots and spongy coverings and planted them in the sand. I moved the bogwood to a better position (I think) and, I don't normally go for cutesy things, but I was at Pets at Home today and loved the heart ornament so had to get it. I've ordered a black wallpaper background to put on behind the tank as I think it will bring out the fish and green of the plants and I'd also like to take photos of my fish. Photography is something I enjoy and I have a Pentax K50 and a macro lens. I put my black work shirt behind the tank to see what it looked like and I loved the effect. Thanks all :)

Can I ask a silly question - what are the plants on each side of your planted area, the ones with leaves on the ends on long stems? They look vaguely anubias-like. If they are actually anubias, you do need to change something but I'll say what when I know what they actually are (after my heater/filter confusion:D )

I actually have no idea. My Mum chucked out the labels by accident and haven't found them online yet. I think the feathery one at the back is water wisteria? Anubias grow huge though don't they?

The thing about anubias is that they shouldn't be planted in the substrate or the roots rot. To be precise, the thick root-like thing that the leaves grow from (the rhizome) should not be planted as that's the part that rots but the thin roots are OK to go down into the substrate. Anubias are usually grown attached to decor - anything from wood to plastic ornaments. They need to be tied on a first (I use sewing thread) but they stick by themselves quite quickly. I have 4 different anubias species all growing on wood in my main tank.

You can always check by going back to the shop and looking at the labels there to see what your plants are.

Most reactions

Back