Sports chat from profession topic in marine

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

Really Backley, how many 'soccer' riots have you been involved in, quite a few by the sounds of things....

germ you dont even seem like the person who watches sports.

and UFC is the new boxing.

And what do you base that assumption on? Do you know me? How?

For those doubters on my comment about Sugar Ray Robinson being best boxer of all time, what would it take to convince you?
Perhaps Ring Magazine having voted him best boxer P4P ever?
The Associated Press voting him the best middleweight and best welterweight boxer ever (in 1999)?
Muhammad Ali (who those who know little about the history of boxing, tend to assume was the best boxer ever,) actually calling him; "the king, the master, my idol."
He fought everyone and anyone and never ducked a fight, the man had heart and principals (and a pink cadillac).
Cue montage.

Edit; Oh and this
What about Ray Lenard?
is best said by Sugar Ray Leonard himself;
"Someone once said there was a comparison between Sugar Ray Leonard and Sugar Ray Robinson. Believe me, there's no comparison. Sugar Ray Robinson was the greatest."

Oh and BTW this is why most Americans don't like football/soccer.

Video

soccer is played for 90 mins. none of this bull#### swap squad #### every minute so the players get a rest. there are only 3 subs so soccer players are fit and strong.

Yeah, they sure are TOUGH... :unsure:

That video gave me the best laugh ive had in ages.

I think the OP meant they are much fitter than American football players, which i have no doubt they are, some of the top players have been recorded running something like 15 miles in the course of a 90 minute game which takes some real stamina when you consider its mainly short sprint work.

To be fair its mainly the European clubs that do the "touch and fall over" bit, a few players try it when they come to play in the English premiership but they soon learn that the English dont really appreciate it.

Im telling you. They do have to have good sanima. But wrestling takes a whole lot too. Its almost all i can speak for cause i've been doing it all my life. Our school gets out at 2:30. we have 15 minutes to be ready and we get done at 6:00. sometimes 6:30. i know its not a WHOLE lot for a day, but in hell week, we've got that two times a day. I've lost 8 lbs in a single practice aon a few occasions. Its not just the work that makes it a tough sport, its dedication and heart. I've already lost 11 pounds for the upcoming season, and i've got 15 to go. Im not anorexic, i just have to be unbeliveably carefull as to what i eat. in a match, you get an adrenaline rush that ou would not believe. You hyave to go 6 minutes full out. there are no timeouts. you've got to use all the effin muscles in your body for 6 minnutes with a space of maybe 15 seconds every 2 minutes. the next day your whole body is sore in places you didnt even know you had. From six minutes

To respond to the original question of, "Is america good at sports outside the US?"

Athens Olympics 2004 - US had the most Gold Medals with 35 followed by China with 32. Great Britain had 9 gold medals.

Sydney 2000 - US had 40 gold medals followed by Russia with 32. Great Britain had 11.

Atlanta 1996 - US had 44 gold medals followed by Russia with 26. Great Britain had 1. (That's 1 less than Ethiopia)

Barcelona 1992 - US had 37 gold medals coming in behind the USSR with 45. Great Britain had 5.

Seoul 1998 - US in 3rd behind USSR and Germany.

See a pattern...

Here are the years the US has had the most gold medals. 1896 Athens, 1904 St. Louis, 1912 Stockholm, 1920 Antwerp, Paris 1924, Amsterdam 1928, Los Angeles 1932, London 1948, Helsinki 1952, Tokyo 1964, Mexico City 1968, Los Angeles 1984, Atlanta 1996, Sydney 2000, Athens 2004.

Years Great Britain had the most gold medals: London 1908.

Years the US has not been in the top three: 1980(But we didn't even compete due to the tensions between us and the USSR)

Video

soccer is played for 90 mins. none of this bull#### swap squad #### every minute so the players get a rest. there are only 3 subs so soccer players are fit and strong.

since when was track and field a sport? running isn't considered a sport according to my physical education teacher...

To respond to the original question of, "Is america good at sports outside the US?"

Athens Olympics 2004 - US had the most Gold Medals with 35 followed by China with 32. Great Britain had 9 gold medals.

Sydney 2000 - US had 40 gold medals followed by Russia with 32. Great Britain had 11.

Atlanta 1996 - US had 44 gold medals followed by Russia with 26. Great Britain had 1. (That's 1 less than Ethiopia)

Barcelona 1992 - US had 37 gold medals coming in behind the USSR with 45. Great Britain had 5.

Seoul 1998 - US in 3rd behind USSR and Germany.

See a pattern...

Here are the years the US has had the most gold medals. 1896 Athens, 1904 St. Louis, 1912 Stockholm, 1920 Antwerp, Paris 1924, Amsterdam 1928, Los Angeles 1932, London 1948, Helsinki 1952, Tokyo 1964, Mexico City 1968, Los Angeles 1984, Atlanta 1996, Sydney 2000, Athens 2004.

Years Great Britain had the most gold medals: London 1908.

Years the US has not been in the top three: 1980(But we didn't even compete due to the tensions between us and the USSR)

Video

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wG1qGzv57f0

since when was track and field a sport? running isn't considered a sport according to my physical education teacher...

Summer sports:

Aquatics
Archery
Athletics
Badminton
Baseball
Basketball
Boxing
Canoe / kayak
Cycling
Equestrian
Fencing
Football
Gymnastics
Handball
Hockey
Judo
Modern Pentathlon
Rowing
Sailing
Shooting
Softball
Table Tennis
Taekwondo
Tennis
Triathlon
Volleyball
Weightlifting
Wrestling

So the Olympics are more than Track and Field. And either way I say that Track and Field is a sport. What exactly is it that makes it not a sport?

And I don't doubt the athletic ability of soccer players at all, they are probably some of the best athletes out there. I was just pointing out that people think they aren't "tough" because of the video I posted.
I also don't think the "toughness" of an athlete determines the greatness of a sport. For example say there was a sport where you beat your opponent with a lead pipe... Sure, the participants are TOUGH, but that doesn't make it better than other sports.

Summer sports:

Aquatics
Archery
Athletics
Badminton
Baseball
Basketball
Boxing
Canoe / kayak
Cycling
Equestrian
Fencing
Football
Gymnastics
Handball
Hockey
Judo
Modern Pentathlon
Rowing
Sailing
Shooting
Softball
Table Tennis
Taekwondo
Tennis
Triathlon
Volleyball
Weightlifting
Wrestling

So the Olympics are more than Track and Field. And either way I say that Track and Field is a sport. What exactly is it that makes it not a sport?

And I don't doubt the athletic ability of soccer players at all, they are probably some of the best athletes out there. I was just pointing out that people think they aren't "tough" because of the video I posted.
I also don't think the "toughness" of an athlete determines the greatness of a sport. For example say there was a sport where you beat your opponent with a lead pipe... Sure, the participants are TOUGH, but that doesn't make it better than other sports.

35 is impressive and tell me how many were in those sports. i don't know and i'm guessing you don't either. there will likely be some in the sports that you listed, but i'm sure most are from running and swimming. infact looking at that list i know of a fair few that the winners werent american. after all the discussion is about what sports america is good at.

a great sport is a sport that 32 countries play at the world cup. about 5 or 6 times 32 actually play to try and qualify. football (soccer) is the mostdominant sport in the world. i believe soccer is in the olympics too. sadly england suck at it sometimes lol

ya we know soccer is a big sport................. the thing is americans don't play it

actually america is fairly good at it. we just got an impressive win over mexico. lol, but most americans dont follow it. myself included. We do dominate at swimming though. Top 3 were mostly americans in nearly every event

For the first two pages I had no clue what this thread was actually about, other than trying to draw Americans offsides to engage in a ridiculous debate.

To address some of the topics brought up... The World Series can be called that because major league baseball is the highest level of baseball played in the world. The best players from around the world dream of playing in the MLB, and many make it, and that's why it's considerd the world series.

Americans, if we put our best foot forward, could clearly put together the best basketball team in the world. However, many of the top players will not risk their careers by playing for their country (and I don't really blame them). Those that do play are hindered by rules they aren't familiar with and a lack of preperation. The NBA season is long and grinds players down, so you can't really expect them to be fresh during the summer.

Next soccer... Americans don't really get soccer (I've tried to watch it, I don't really "get" it either, but I can appreciate the skill and athleticism needed to play). It isn't our fault. We don't like to watch inferior players play in inferior leagues, and that's what all professional soccer leagues in the US end up being. During the World Cup, a LOT of Americans watch, because it has the best players in the world. As far as Americans not being good at it, that's really unfair. Many of our best athletes focus their attention on more lucrative sports, such as basketball and football. Baseball is even suffering, because it just isn't that big in the urban community.

Finally, American football. The men that play American football are some of the biggest, strongest, fastest, most athletic men in the world. The things they do are amazing. I'm guessing the reason it isn't big outside the US is the same reason soccer isn't big in the US. Because of the time difference and lack of connection with the teams, you wouldn't expect many Europeans to watch.

I really shouldn't have spent this much time on this thread, but hey, I was bored.

For the first two pages I had no clue what this thread was actually about, other than trying to draw Americans offsides to engage in a ridiculous debate.

To address some of the topics brought up... The World Series can be called that because major league baseball is the highest level of baseball played in the world. The best players from around the world dream of playing in the MLB, and many make it, and that's why it's considerd the world series.

Americans, if we put our best foot forward, could clearly put together the best basketball team in the world. However, many of the top players will not risk their careers by playing for their country (and I don't really blame them). Those that do play are hindered by rules they aren't familiar with and a lack of preperation. The NBA season is long and grinds players down, so you can't really expect them to be fresh during the summer.

Next soccer... Americans don't really get soccer (I've tried to watch it, I don't really "get" it either, but I can appreciate the skill and athleticism needed to play). It isn't our fault. We don't like to watch inferior players play in inferior leagues, and that's what all professional soccer leagues in the US end up being. During the World Cup, a LOT of Americans watch, because it has the best players in the world. As far as Americans not being good at it, that's really unfair. Many of our best athletes focus their attention on more lucrative sports, such as basketball and football. Baseball is even suffering, because it just isn't that big in the urban community.

Finally, American football. The men that play American football are some of the biggest, strongest, fastest, most athletic men in the world. The things they do are amazing. I'm guessing the reason it isn't big outside the US is the same reason soccer isn't big in the US. Because of the time difference and lack of connection with the teams, you wouldn't expect many Europeans to watch.

I really shouldn't have spent this much time on this thread, but hey, I was bored.

i agree that basketball is a fairly big sport outside the us. however from memory the europeans are good at it at ilympic level.

lucrative sport? well in the top football leagues in england, italy, germany, france and spain it wouldnt be wrong to think that the average player in a top team earns 5-6 million dollars and the very best up to 20 million dollars a year.

as for the world series in baseball. well i dont think many countires have top teams because tis just so boring. so thus the only good baseball league in the world is in america and thats where they can only go.

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Back