Sports chat from profession topic in marine

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

wwe use steroids and its not even real ... sorry if this comes as news to anyone

rugby players use whats comonly known as a gym, eat healthy so no mcdonalds and fatty foods for them, and hard work yet they still get to around 16-20 stone ... ive watched a game of rugby and american football so therefore i can compare the 2 once youve watched both you can compare :p

Thats enough!
How is Ricky Hatton not good? WTF.....
If you going off the risk of harm as a meaure of machismo, which appears to be the pathetic point here, Rugby requires NO pads, simple, my Uncle ended up eating through a straw after being paralysed playing rugby. Rugby is a seriously violent sport, it involves endless injury. The breaks aren't as regular, you have little to no protection; shin-guards, gum-shield and if so inclined a daft helmet thing.
Last year the World Cup drew double the viewers than any other sporting event (worldwide) with the American Football thingy coming second.
How anyone who lists the so called American greats of boxing without mentioning Sugar-Ray Robinson (probably the best boxer, pound for pound, of all time), can pretend to know a thing about the sport is beyond me.
I digress, no more posts, this thread is Daft!
It needs locking IMO.

Germ you seem pretty pissed off?

I know I can't compare football to rugby
all im saying is that football is enjoyed in america becuase of the big hits.
And having the superbowl come in second for most watched program in the world is pretty damn amazing since it is only played by 2 american teams.

Ray Robison didn't he fight 1930's!!! . What about Ray Lenard? and Sugar Shane Mosly? All greats also.

I follow boxing and Russia only holds the heavyweight belt.

Have you heard about Floyd Mayweather or Oscar da la hoya? Both american.
Also Jermain Taylor, Hernard Hopkins, Winky Wright.

and to metion the greats! Muhhamnd Ali, Mike Tyson, Rocky Marceno, Goegre Formen .etc.

I understand you guys like soccer. But america is on the otherside of the map and your kind of sports are just not liked over here.

floyld mayweather? his dad sold drugs, he is a wannabe gangster and disses boxers like sugar ray robinson... what a fool.

oscar delahoya is old and inactive. look at his stamina... hes there for the money.

jermain taylor gonna get whooped by pavlik.

bernard hopkins is like 42... just in it for the money

winky wright got beat up by a 43 year old...

calzaghe whooped your boy jeff lacey.

although i do like the greats list. but muhammed ali cheated agaisnt henry cooper first fight.

fact is all the europeans have the heavy weight belts. briggs got owned and so did brewster.

HERE ARE THE RANKINGS FROM ESPN.COM

HEAVY WIGHTS
WBA ----------------WBC -------------------IBF----------------WBO
Ruslan Chagaev -Oleg Maskaev Wladimir Klitschko Sultan Ibragimov - -------------Only known fighter-- Wladimir Klitschko

LIGHT HEAVYWEIGHT (175 POUNDS)
WBA --------------- WBC -------------IBF --------- WBO
Stipe Drews Chad Dawson Clinton Woods Zsolt Erdei - -----------None are really house hold names.

MIDDLEWEIGHT (160 POUNDS)
WBA -------------- WBC-------------- IBF----------- WBO
Felix Sturm Jermain Taylor Arthur Abraham Jermain Taylor - ------Jermain Taylor- young and undeafter. American

JUNIOR MIDDLEWEIGHT/SUPER WELTERWEIGHT (154 POUNDS)
WBA-----------------WBC------------------ IBF ---------WBO
Joachim Alcine Vernon Forrest Cory Spinks Sergei Dzindziruk - ----------- i only know cory spinks..

WELTERWEIGHT (147 POUNDS)
WBA -----------------WBC -----------------------IBF ----------WBO
Miguel Cotto © Floyd Mayweather Jr. Kermit Cintron Paul Williams - probbly the most interesting wieght class. Miguel Cotto and Maywaeter both outstanding fighters. american.

I am not goin to post the lower wieght classes since those are all held by Mexican and Thai fighters.

but my point is that no one really watches the heavy wieghts since there is only one good fighter , who is vertually unbeatable right now because of his size so most of the fights (THAT I KNOW OF) are in between welter - and - middle weight where the fighters are American.

So america is infact, good at a world - wide sport :flex: :flex: :flex:

cotto aint american. hes porturican.
maywetaher is good but boring.
jermain taylor is now quite over rated and under performed.
spinks also just got beat recently.

not many good americans left. plus world champions are almost dictated by promoters now.

well many say boxing is starting to fade becuase the lack of big name fighters.
the new thing in america is UFC

do they have UFC in Europe?

Are you guys eight?
In case you haven't noticed, this is a forum. For PUBLIC talking. 'I am not in this conversation?' Ugh... Remind me again why you can't move this discussion to sports and not OT the topic?

well many say boxing is starting to fade becuase the lack of big name fighters.
the new thing in america is UFC

do they have UFC in Europe?

we do but im not into grappling on the floor so not into ufc really. boxing is class and always will be good.

btw ricky hatton is good. he prob lose to mayweather but atleast he fighting the guy. hatton fights at 140 lbs yet is gonna fight floyld at 147

FOOTBALL- super bowl, nothing can conbeat with that
Ooh that's one of my favourite fairytales :D

Just to give you a worldwide perspective of how "big" the superbowl is compared to Football, the Superbowl, the pinnacle of the sport attracts IIRC a worldwide TV audience of around 95,000,000 viewers (93m in USA) :hyper: which is to be fair a very impressive statistic :good: But to put in context around 150,000,000 watched the Euro2004 final and around 250,000,000 watched the draw to see who would play who in the world cup group stages, not a game, just the draw :blink: and an estimated TV audience for the final of 1,000,000,000 :eek:

I do not like NFL or MLB for the same reason that I don't like cricket, too stop/start and pausing. I do like basketball and have had the pleasure of seeing a game in the USA and a couple over here (due to having a mate play the game :rolleyes: ) and I also like Ice hockey and watch my local team from time to time.

I'm not against American sports, but the blinkered attitude that because something is big in the USA it is biggest thing in the world.

Anyone arguing that America hasn't got any world class sportsmen is just being blinkered and stupid, there are and have been many of them, even in sports enjoyed around the world ;)

Oh and yeah, we have got UFC, but I've not watched any of it yet and now the footy has started again, I'm not likely to :lol: but it looks brutal.

Arfie

All i can say to that is that.... soccer riots are the best.

The thing with UFC is that its either really bloody and non- stop punching- kickin- kneeing
or
its a ground match were nothing happens.

I think its more exciting than boxing

Really Backley, how many 'soccer' riots have you been involved in, quite a few by the sounds of things....

Really Backley, how many 'soccer' riots have you been involved in, quite a few by the sounds of things....

germ you dont even seem like the person who watches sports.

and UFC is the new boxing.

To respond to the original question of, "Is america good at sports outside the US?"

Athens Olympics 2004 - US had the most Gold Medals with 35 followed by China with 32. Great Britain had 9 gold medals.

Sydney 2000 - US had 40 gold medals followed by Russia with 32. Great Britain had 11.

Atlanta 1996 - US had 44 gold medals followed by Russia with 26. Great Britain had 1. (That's 1 less than Ethiopia)

Barcelona 1992 - US had 37 gold medals coming in behind the USSR with 45. Great Britain had 5.

Seoul 1998 - US in 3rd behind USSR and Germany.

See a pattern...

Here are the years the US has had the most gold medals. 1896 Athens, 1904 St. Louis, 1912 Stockholm, 1920 Antwerp, Paris 1924, Amsterdam 1928, Los Angeles 1932, London 1948, Helsinki 1952, Tokyo 1964, Mexico City 1968, Los Angeles 1984, Atlanta 1996, Sydney 2000, Athens 2004.

Years Great Britain had the most gold medals: London 1908.

Years the US has not been in the top three: 1980(But we didn't even compete due to the tensions between us and the USSR)

Oh and BTW this is why most Americans don't like football/soccer.

Video

soccer is played for 90 mins. none of this bull#### swap squad #### every minute so the players get a rest. there are only 3 subs so soccer players are fit and strong.

Yeah, they sure are TOUGH... :unsure:

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Members online

Back