Snails: Safe Or Not?

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

Rainbow Shark

Reaction score
I have read so many opinions that I'm not sure what I think anymore. So, I like to ask the experts, not the novices, PLEASE! No, offense, but been one, done that.

Recently added snails to my tank due to algae growth getting out of hand (tank is in sunlight). The snails came from one of my other tanks (over one year old) with healthy fish, so I thought they would be parasite free. About a month after adding them, my pictus cat got a suspicious red growth on the base of the dorsal fin. In a few days, it died. I suspect a parasitic infection.

I have always heard that snails carried parasites, but took the chance, since the year-old tank has been parasite free in that time. Would really like a more experienced opinion. Is it safe to have snails in the tank?

not IME, ive kept many snails with no probs, usually snails die instead 4 me. the pictus could have been injured?

not IME, ive kept many snails with no probs, usually snails die instead 4 me. the pictus could have been injured?
I guess it's a possibility. Actually what I originally thought was the base of the fin had got caught somehow. It tended to hang around under a piece of wood. Really hated to lose it, but I had it a couple of years. (Don't know how old it was before I got it.)

Had me worried for the rainbow shark in the tank with him. They have been good tank buddies with no problems.

could have been the rainbow shark as they are notorious fin nippers. what else have you got?

Most reactions

trending

Back