Sick Albino Cory - Help Please

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

NickBFC

Fish Fanatic
Reaction score
I noticed one of my Albino cory has some red marks to it earlier today. I have been busy with work but had enough time to run a quick Ammonia and Nitrite check - both are fine. I haven't had a chance to run a Nitrate check yet but it should be okay, the tanks been cycled for a number of months now. Last water change was Sunday evening. Any help appreciated as I am at a loss - one of them did get caught up in some Java Moss the otherday and I had to free him (then trim it!), I wonder if it's a wound, but I don't know if it's the same fish. Shall I run a water change today to be on the safe side? I do them Sunday evenings usually.

albino_zpsf1ca457f.jpg

It looks like some type of injury, as the bottom of her tail is pretty chewed up too, unless I'm not seeing it right.

Water changes never hurt, as far as I'm concerned. I always do a nice big one if I see anything out of the ordinary.

Thanks, would you advise feeding any meds at all? Or just a decent sized water change and monitor the injury?

I wouldn't medicate at this point. You don't know what the problem is yet. Yes, just do a water change and keep a close eye on her.

I have noticed she has some damage to the top fin too, fin rot possibly? Not sure a water change is going to be enough action here. All of my other fish seem perfectly healthy, although the other Albino cory does seem a little lethargic (other Cory I have look fine).

What else have you got in your tank? When you say Ammonia and Nitrite are fine, do you mean they're 0?

From the pic, it doesn't look like fin rot to me. If it was fin rot, the edges of the fins would be white and there would be some slime going on.  I agree with Spouse, I wouldn't medicate either but if you feel the need to or it worsens, you might try something like melafix first to help the healing process and it won't bother the rest of your fish.  It looks like he might have gotten stuck to your intake or something...

Lunar Jetman said:
What else have you got in your tank? When you say Ammonia and Nitrite are fine, do you mean they're 0?

Yep both Ammonia/Nitrite 0.

In total I have 6 Cory, 3 honey Gourami, 8 lambchop rasbora, 6 Celestial pearl danio and 3 amano shrimp in a 125ltr tank.

More pics below, fish certainly seems poorly. I have given some meds now and will do a decent water change in the morning I think before adding a second dose. The fins certainly have damage as you can hopefully see from images. The redness is a fair bit brighter than the images portray. 

albino3_zps38e51781.jpg

albino2_zpse041fc75.jpg

Is this Cory lethargic? The reason I ask is because they usually swim away from direct light and it looks as though it's tired. 

Lethargy is usually accompanied by fin and body rot probably from the onset of bacterial septicemia getting into the wounds.

No, unfortunately I don't have a spare tank. Is it not wise to add the recommended 2nd/3rd doses over the weekend? It does say it isn't harmful to other fish but I don't want to cause further issues.

mark4785 said:
Is this Cory lethargic? The reason I ask is because they usually swim away from direct light and it looks as though it's tired. 

Lethargy is usually accompanied by fin and body rot probably from the onset of bacterial septicemia getting into the wounds.

Both of the Albino's have been a bit lethargic over the past couple of days. although this is the only one showing physical signs of illness. My peppered Cory are fine and behaving normally.

I don't know anything about that medication, so can't really comment. I just worry about adding meds to a tank that has otherwise healthy fish. I think this cory may have just been injured if none of the other ones are showing symptoms.

Hmm true, it does say it's safe for other fish but I was a bit wary too. Maybe I won't add anymore and just undertake a decent sized water change in the morning and monitor the situation.

Most reactions

trending

Back