Should I Stock More?

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

Hoopla

Reaction score
Hello everyone! This is my first post on this forum and I'm a beginner to fish keeping. I have an established 29 gallon tank I got from my grandma. I cycled and stocked it with my betta (I had him in a 2.5 gallon before), two albino Cory cats, two peppered Cory cats, four ghost shrimp, and three rummy nose tetras. I tried to go by the one gallon to one inch of fish rule while leaving some extra room but now I'm wondering if I could stock some more cory cats and rummy nose tetras since they like to school in larger groups? My albinos are very active but my peppered corys always hide from me. I figured more of them would help get them active.

I thought it was also worth it to mention that my peppered corys do school with my albinos

Welcome to TFF. :hi:

Are the tetras and cories from your grandma, or did you acquire them new for this tank? If the latter, I would definitely get more or they will not be in the best health. Another two or three cories of either species, or even another if you prefer; cories will always be better the more there are, and you can mix species. Panda cories do like to be in groups of their own, but most other species I have kept seem less concerned so long as there are lots of them (cories). The "albino" could be the same species as the peppered, or different. But as you can see they like being together, so more is the way to go.

Rummynose tetra must have larger groups, and with this species I would not go below 9-10 total. So another 6-7 would be good.

Now, the Betta is a problem. I strongly recommend you move him back to his 2.5 gallon tank, he will believe me be happier there. Betta are not community fish. Sometimes a Betta will suddenly take a dislike to other fish, but more often the smaller shoaling fish (like tetras) will nip the fins of a Betta. Even if you do not see this, it is still a risk; Betta have been known to "act" peaceful but suddenly turn. And thee tetras could be annoying him without physical contact, as fish release and read chemical signals.

Once the above issues are resolved, you could consider additional fish for the 29g. Upper level fish would bee good as the cories are substrate level, and the rummys tend to remain in the lower half of the tank (if they are settled and in larger numbers).

Byron.

Last edited:
Welcome to TFF. :hi:

Are the tetras and cories from your grandma, or did you acquire them new for this tank? If the latter, I would definitely get more or they will not be in the best health. Another two or three cories of either species, or even another if you prefer; cories will always be better the more there are, and you can mix species. Panda cories do like to be in groups of their own, but most other species I have kept seem less concerned so long as there are lots of them (cories). The "albino" could be the same species as the peppered, or different. But as you can see they like being together, so more is the way to go.

Rummynose tetra must have larger groups, and with this species I would not go below 9-10 total. So another 6-7 would be good.

Now,m the Betta is a problem. I strongly recommend you move him back to his 2.5 gallon tank, he will believe me be happier there. Betta are not community fish. Sometimes a Betta will suddenly take a dislike to other fish, but more often the smaller shoaling fish (like tetras) will nip the fins of a Betta. Even if you do not see this, it is still a risk; Betta have been known to "act" peaceful but suddenly turn. And thee tetras could be annoying him without physical contact, as fish release and read chemical signals.

Once the above issues are resolved, you could consider additional fish for the 29g. Upper level fish would bee good as the cories are substrate level, and the rummys tend to remain in the lower half of the tank (if they are settled and in larger numbers).

Byron.

Thank you for the reply! All the fish are newly stocked, the old tank had no fish in it when I set it up. I did have 5 tetras but two died, my water parameters were fine and I believe they ended up kicking the bucket because of shock because even though I acclimated them properly, I did buy them the day the store received them and I think they had been moved too much unfortunately. The other three are doing fine with no sign of illness. I do think I will be getting more corys and tetras since I have really enjoyed having the fish in my tank.

As for the betta.. I unfortunately cracked the glass of the 2.5 gallon while trying to remove the rim so I had to discard it. I have been thinking of getting a 10 gallon tank but I don't want to move to fast into getting multiple tanks.. keeping fish is so addicting! I have been monitoring my fish very closely, especially the betta since he was my first. I often stay up late at night and watch them in the dark too and so far their haven't been any problems. I am aware that betta's moods can change quickly so I'll make sure to watch out for that just in case I need to get him into another tank.

Thank you for the reply! All the fish are newly stocked, the old tank had no fish in it when I set it up. I did have 5 tetras but two died, my water parameters were fine and I believe they ended up kicking the bucket because of shock because even though I acclimated them properly, I did buy them the day the store received them and I think they had been moved too much unfortunately. The other three are doing fine with no sign of illness. I do think I will be getting more corys and tetras since I have really enjoyed having the fish in my tank.

As for the betta.. I unfortunately cracked the glass of the 2.5 gallon while trying to remove the rim so I had to discard it. I have been thinking of getting a 10 gallon tank but I don't want to move to fast into getting multiple tanks.. keeping fish is so addicting! I have been monitoring my fish very closely, especially the betta since he was my first. I often stay up late at night and watch them in the dark too and so far their haven't been any problems. I am aware that betta's moods can change quickly so I'll make sure to watch out for that just in case I need to get him into another tank.
If you are noticing some aggression/fin biting you can always get a tank divider until you find other means of rehousing your betta :)

If you are noticing some aggression/fin biting you can always get a tank divider until you find other means of rehousing your betta :)
I suppose that is true! I'm actually planning on getting a 10 gallon to temporarily put my fish in while I change my substrate to sand so i will have that tank to put him in if I notice anything

Most reactions

trending

Members online

Back