Setting Up The 29g. Totally Psyched I Have Saltwater In My Living Room

kj23502

lazy dayz
Reaction score
Here's the stand. Not quite done, but done enough to get started. Putting one more support on the bottom before the bottom shelf is screwed in. Will put the cupboard doors on the ends. Will put hinges w/another wood flap to hang down to cover more open space (gap from the top shelf toward the top of the 29g), yet will be able to flip it up to allow more room to work in the tank. May take it off, will have to see how it looks...Not the best stand, but pretty good for us. It was my hubbys 1st wood project and I mostly stood around and watched. We stained everything and then clearcoated doing 2 coats of clear coat.

That's the 75 sitting on top. Will be a cichlid tank for now. The 29g will be sitting on the bottom shelf. I built the stand like this to hide the eheim filters sitting on either side of the 29. Those filters are for the 75g tank.

100_4799.jpg

100_4801.jpg

I painted the back of the tanks with this:
100_4604.jpg

What I have:
1)stand probably cost around -----------------------------$100.00 so far. Will be a bit more by the time I get the doors on the ends done.
2)29 g tank...from previous setup
3)Visi-Therm Stealth Heater - 150W - ---------------------$21.99
4)Refractometer off ebay (works well)---------------------$35.00
5)Dip and Pour Fish Specimen Container - Large---2 for $12.98 total
6)ROWAphos Phosphate Remover - 100 mL---------------$17.49
7)Lettuce Clip - Clown Fish-----------------------------2 for $5.78 total
8)Grid Feeding Clip ------------------------------------------$2.19
9)Glass Canopy - 30 in. x 12 in.(that i now won't use----$18.99
10)Koralia 2 ---------------------------------------- 600 gph $29.99
11)Saltwater Liquid Master Test Kit -------------------------$16.99
12)160g bucket of Reef Crystals ---------------------------$33.00
13) CPR Dual Bak-Pak 2 Skimmer 2nd hand---------------$85.00
14)Spray paint for the background-----------------------------------6.00
15)egg crate for the cover-------------------------------------0.00 Bro in law said take, get it outta here. I didn't protest :)
16)3 bags of sand----------------------------------------------0.00 bro in law sad take them.
17)about 80 sheets of Nori-----------------------------------0.00 courtesy of a lrc friend.
18) 2 yasha gobies/randall's shrimp with shipping---------$183.00
19)16 oz brine shrimp------------------------------------------$3
20) Marine Cuisine frozen food 3.5 oz-----------------------$6.50 (brine shrimp, krill, mysis, spirulina)
21) 25ish maybe more lbs of lr------------------------------$50
21) 8 Astraea snails----------------------------------------------$15
22) Calcium test -------------------------------------------------$10
23) Reef chili------------------------------------------------------$18
I think I remembered everything. Total is------------------$648.91 so far.

My stuff from Drs Foster and Smith
100_4458.jpg

100_4459.jpg

100_4460.jpg

I'm hoping the specimen containers will be usefull for acclimatizing as well as holding a fish. They are the large ones 8 3/4"H x 3 3/4"W x 5 3/4"L
I bought 2 clown clips so I'll have 1 for my large tank, too.

I'm going to use 4 T5 bulbs for right now. Will be 96 watts. Was told that should be enough for Ricordias. I'll eventually get a 150w metal halide.

Thanks to Ski's advice I kept my empty 55g tank and will use that store R/O water. I don't have an R/O unit yet, but have 2 containers to haul from the store to my house. I'll mix it in another bucket. Probably a small garbage can. Have to look at this yet.

I think that's it for now. Hopefully should get the ball rolling now. Any insights? tips? does it seem ok?

*Gosh darn it, there are some awesome picasso percs for sale right now and I don't have the tank set up to get them yet.... :shout: Soon, I hope.

One more thing. There's a guy that posted a 90g tank for sale on our lrc site and I'm second in line for parting out picks if the can't sell it as a whole setup. I stated my interest in some LR and CUC.

looking good

Getting there :fish:
although 5 mins after you set the 29 up you will be using that as a sump for the big tank up top...:p

Getting there :fish:
although 5 mins after you set the 29 up you will be using that as a sump for the big tank up top...:p
Actually when/if I get bored w/my cichlids I intend to turn the 75g into a Snowflake eel tank :hyper: I'll just run the eheims off that still and have a little rock in the display tank. Again, thats down the road if ever.

Well was going to literally rinse the coral sand through a strainer...but the pieces are so small that's not going to work :unsure: Tape pencil on there for reference in comparison to the eraser on the pencil. May be right for a jawfish burrow :hyper:

100_4804.jpg

100_4805.jpg

100_4807.jpg

And our newest addition to the family, Beau, coming to investigate.

100_4810.jpg

Photo of stand w/both tanks sitting on it.

100_4818.jpg

According to this:
http://www.reefsand.com/
the sand is already washed. Should I still wash it, or just throw it in the tank and let the dust settle. I don't have any buckets free. I'd have to run out and buy some more.

Well we have a small hold up :( There is a small plastic piece on the skimmer that has dried and has a small crack. It's not on the body of the skimmer, but a part that attaches to it. I've looked on the net and can't find a replacement part, but am thinking I might be able to seal/silicone it? I have a PM sent the gentleman I bought it from and he said he'll come help me with it, but now are pming about when. I want to do a test water run before I start loading things into the tank. Plus there's not enough room for me to get the skimmer back off the tank once it's on etc. I may be able to if I take the pumps off. I'll check that out too. So much crap to take into account.

I was advised to wash the sand 10x using 5 gal. buckets and only fill the buckets a 1/4 full with sand. Fill it up and then dump the nasty water off, I think.

Got pics of the skimmer KJ? All depends on where the crack is to how you will fix it :). Good news is acrylic fixes are pretty darn easy so long as you have the right solvent, but we'll get into that when we see where the crack is.

As for washing the sand, I just put it in a big salad bowl (about half full) and rinse it under tapwater while stirring it with my hand. Let the dust wash out over the rim of the bowl and keep rinsing till it's clean. Then I drain the bowl and set the "clean" sand aside in a bucket. Pretty easy :). Oh and don't freeze your hands with what I'm sure is freezing cold tapwater, in ND. Warm it up a little ;)

http://www.fishforums.net/index.php?showto...p;hl=super+glue

An old topic regarding the use of super glue. Hope this still holds true b/c I'm going to buy a tube. Haven't gotten out a whole lot. My 6 year old has influenza A :( Kids are sleeping now and my hubby's here so I'm going to run out and pick up some glue along w/some more airline tubing.

I imagine it sets pretty fast. How long should I let it dry before doing my test run w/my equipment?

[URL="http://www.fishforums.net/index.php?showto...p;hl=super+glue"]http://www.fishforums.net/index.php?showto...p;hl=super+glue[/URL]

An old topic regarding the use of super glue. Hope this still holds true b/c I'm going to buy a tube. Haven't gotten out a whole lot. My 6 year old has influenza A :( Kids are sleeping now and my hubby's here so I'm going to run out and pick up some glue along w/some more airline tubing.

I imagine it sets pretty fast. How long should I let it dry before doing my test run w/my equipment?

super glue bonds as soon as it hits water apparently

As for washing the sand, I just put it in a big salad bowl (about half full) and rinse it under tapwater while stirring it with my hand. Let the dust wash out over the rim of the bowl and keep rinsing till it's clean. Then I drain the bowl and set the "clean" sand aside in a bucket. Pretty easy :). Oh and don't freeze your hands with what I'm sure is freezing cold tapwater, in ND. Warm it up a little ;)

I'll do the salad bowl thing. I have one dedicated to my fish use :good:

South Dakota ;) but pretty close :D

Most reactions

Back