Saw this beautiful Arowana at our lps a few weeks back

June FOTM Photo Contest Starts Now!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to enter! 🏆

I don’t know what that means.
As the story goes, the one and only @JuiceBox52 accidentally misspelt "guppy" and it turned into "fuplie". Then @Colin_T made it into a curse word... It's the innocent forum F word now 😂
We all like to use it at times...

The one in the store I saw looked naturally colored, that's why I liked it... But now that I know it's dyed, thats just sad

Yeah I think that one might actually be a blueberry whose dye has worn off. It’s very grey rather than silver, and the scales aren’t delineated(?) like they should be.

How would you like to be an itty-bitty mouse out for a swim and have a hungry Arowana cruise up underneath you ?
It's a good job I'm not an itty-bitty mouse then eh? More like a beached whale these days

Yes, it is sad. All the bettas with long flowing fins that have to struggle so hard to get to food and the surface. Not to mention how they start out in life with those little cups and some are half dead in the store. You might get it to survive in the short run but the damage is done and their lives are shorter no matter what you do, although bad care can shorten it even further. So many people try to “save” them and nice as that is, I’m not seeing a lot of success stories.
Problem with trying to "save" a betta from one of those cups in a big box store is that it rewards the system that created the situation in the first place. A sale is a sale. Petco or whatever gets money for the betta so they'll just keep putting them in cups. We can try to save one at a time while perpetuating the system. Or we can save them all by making it unprofitable to treat them like this.

Problem with trying to "save" a betta from one of those cups in a big box store is that it rewards the system that created the situation in the first place. A sale is a sale. Petco or whatever gets money for the betta so they'll just keep putting them in cups. We can try to save one at a time while perpetuating the system. Or we can save them all by making it unprofitable to treat them like this.

True. The only way it would stop is if everybody stopped buying them.

How would you like to be an itty-bitty mouse out for a swim and have a hungry Arowana cruise up underneath you ?
-mouse desperately swimming as an Arowana swims up underneath it-

*record scratch*

*freeze frame*

"Yup, it's me. I'll bet you're wondering how I got here..."

Last edited:

Most reactions

Back