I babysat a cockatiel once

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

elephantnose3334

Fishaholic
Reaction score
There was a time that I was babysitting a cockatiel during the Christmas holidays in 2018. That cockatiel's name was Baby. Her owners were off to do a holiday and so they lent her to us. But there were our dog, which would eat the cockatiel. I was 11-12 years old during the time, and I was liking birds a lot. I locked the dog outside, and I would let Baby out of her cage and put her in the toyroom and let her fly around. When it was sleepytime, she was put back in her cage and a towel was put over the cage. I really liked the cockatiel and kept her tail feather for a few years until it was chewed by the dog when I was coming home from school one day. I was trusted to babysit the bird and I loved minutes of it. I have a photo of her on my 3DS.

Did you babysit a bird/s once?

Yes, I have! I love parrots a lot, even though I would never own one myself. They're a lot of work and many of them have specialized requirements. I'm personally of the opinion that large parrots like macaws and cockatoos shouldn't be kept in homes as pets because they have such extensive social needs. They're incredibly intelligent and social birds, and they need a lot of space too. They're also loud and destructive, even when their mental and social needs are met. They're essentially like having a toddler for 50-70 years.

Anyway, I have babysat an african grey parrot before! They're very cute, although they also have specialized care that few people can meet. The one I babysat was named Violet. She was definitely wary of me at first, but eventually she let me scratch her head and the back of her neck. Once she trusted me, the first thing she would do when she saw me was ask for scratches by lowering her head. She really loved almonds too. I was allowed to give them to her as special treats. I would also sit with her and play music and other sounds for her. She really liked videos that had recordings of wild african grey calls in them. Her owners were my family's neighbors for a while, but they moved, so unfortunately I only got to babysit Violet once.

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Members online

Back