Rye's 125L Tank

🐠 May TOTM Voting is Live! 🐠
FishForums.net Tank of the Month!
🏆 Click here to Vote! 🏆

Ryefish

Fish Herder
Reaction score
Wahoo!
I managed to get my hands on a tank - calculator at the top says 118L - tis huge! (may not be to some, but compared to my 30L tank it is :lol: )

I have had to take pics with my mobile phone because ive once again lost the cable for my digi cam (you can call me Useless). The tank had some really large plastic ornaments. One was a tree stump, one a rock and a log cave thingy. Ive got them in a bag in my kitchen. Contemplating selling them.

Some pics:
Tank without hood (its in the dining room)
01f8084c-3a09-4b58-9446-cab39876622.jpg

filter:
0c356ec5-b5af-4be0-ae03-94d7b7df29b.jpg

piece of bogwood (i love it)
657fbb77-a470-4af4-93e1-4261a76c7a6.jpg

315b3ea1-de1f-428b-a2f7-71e8fb12e07.jpg

the guy ive been dating the past few weeks bought me a bag of sand :lol: He transported the tank and everything home too :wub:
50ed96a8-d2b0-44be-a6a9-88c95950a6c.jpg

look what i found!! :D I was SO excited! I went out with the intention of buying nothing and then saw this and had to have it
6b5f1056-b535-4460-a438-5a4563cce2e.jpg

Also bought a Cryptocoryne wendtii.
Ive adopted 8 neon tetra's, a cherry barb and some sort of Corydoras with the tank aswell. Not sure if a shoal cherry barb will fit in to the tank once its all planted, so it may be rehomed.

Everything from my biorb will be going in to this tank. I think there is four crypt's, two pieces of java fern, a tiny bit of java moss and two pieces of anubias nana attached to the other piece of bogwood i have.

No idea what the lights in it are, or the watts yet. Will update when i know. Planning on setting up a diy CO2 system soon if it will work on this tank??

No idea where the plants or wood are going in the tank

spent the whole day setting up this tank.. with a bad hangover lol.
the water is a little cloudy, but here you go for now:
74a71a34-315b-40ba-85d8-9a25a711310.jpg

Any useful criticism? (i just dumped the plants in, so dont be too harsh about it :lol: )

will start a proper journal when i can afford more plants.

i need to wait until september :( then my student loan will more than likely be blown in the first week on new plants :rolleyes:

Money well spent. :rolleyes:

I see that you have found yourself some hydrocotyle verticillata. Good find. Great plant. :good:

Don't worry about the scape right now, it'll come. I see an island scape in the future, especially with the bogwood you have, the hydrocotyle, and the sand. Devuk's "Island scape" in the aquascaping article has that plant.

llj

lovin the tank!!

like llj says, it'll come, and i'm sure it'll look great.

lovin the tank!!

like llj says, it'll come, and i'm sure it'll look great.

You want me to move this to the journal section proper? For all practical purposes, this is the beginning of the journal.

llj

ok :)
I have been browsing through the aquascaping article for a few hours tonight :lol: googling random things, getting my imagination in motion. I like the look of rocks, but i also like the look of wood. Hhhmmmmmm.
Ive been showing my boyfriend the pictures with the hydrocotyle verticillata in it, so he can understand why i was so excited when i found it :lol: he has a lot of faith in this tank, possibly more than i have at the minute lol.

Going window shopping on monday to try and price up some corydoras (main priority atm is getting shoal numbers up to get these fish less stressed). My mum thinks the one we have now (i think he is a bronze cory) is rather cute. He is enjoying the sand - first time he/she has had it. Still undecided whether im keeping the cherry barb. The Tetra's and the Rasbora are shoaling together

filter is leaking today :rolleyes: the new crpty looks like it is starting to stand up again. When i put it in the tank last night it just flopped over and was laid on the sand. I was worried it would just die instantly

Love that piece of bogwood, looks like a hand! You might be able to use that "hand" to hold another piece of bogwood in place leaning against the original.

Cherry Barb schools take up no room at all, they will love the planted tank. Its more about whether you have plans for any fish that might consider brightly coloured 4cm fish as lunch eg. Ctenopoma!
good.gif

haha definately not getting any larger fish, atleast any time soon. I enjoy the smaller ones :) The Siamese fighter is what im concerned about, and fin nipping. He is really stressed about being in the tank atm, but i think its because of the mirrored tank rather than the other fish :crazy:

Cant wait to go see some corydoras tomorrow :lol: really cant buy any though.... (will have to give my bank card to the other half)

The bogwood reminds me of the tree off Sleepy Hollow :lol:
Sheryl_CG_08_Sleepy_Hollow.jpg

Water is clear :D found the cable for my camera again :rolleyes:

I have a patterned background on the tank atm just so it doesn't look overly sparse until i can get more plants, then it will go black or blue
2010_0629118tank0001.jpg

The Cryptocoryne Wendtii is picking itself up off the floor (literally), but is still looking a little anemic.
2010_0629118tank0003.jpg

when it was first planted :/
2f008810-617c-4b3e-a57a-428ae253-1.jpg

Some of the Hydrocotyle is turning yellow, but i suspect it is from the trauma of me trying to seperate it out and plant it
2010_0629118tank0023.jpg

my Java Moss is looking a complete mess, along with the roots on the Java Fern. I don't know if its just gunk from the old tank or algae. I think i need to give it a wash though...
2010_0629118tank0007.jpg

tempted to put a tiny amount on the new piece of wood aswell

some of the inhabitants:
purple snail is getting massive!
2010_0629118tank0018.jpg

pink snail is still really small
2010_0629118tank0021.jpg

the Cory :) my mums favourite. He is tiny, and only about an inch and a half - wondering if he wil grow any.
2010_0629118tank0022.jpg

Planning on getting another four when i can afford it :) He seems to be enjoying the sand!

I went to a LFS yesterday and was looking at some rocks and some more wood. Getting an idea of what i want now :) Decided to look in to getting some brighter/better lights aswell.
Hopefully a DIY CO2 kit will be set up soon (waiting for the bottles to be emptied in the kitchen), running out of liquid carbon fast!

Will be interesting to see this develop, it is a while until september though (student loan time :drool: ):lol:

If you have hydrocotyle verticillata, i've read that it is difficult to grow and needs quite high light, you don't have high light? and if you did it wouldn't be working all that well because you don't dose c02.. so not sure if it'll survive?

itll survive :) ill make it survive! CO2 will be here in under a week :) Light is low at 1.44wpg. Looking around at new tubes but i think i will need to post over in the hardware section to figure out what will actually fit. Need to go to the pet shop to buy some rat food so ill see what size tubes they have and the price

Scabby looking neon tetra is dead :/ I was expecting it though so it's no big deal. Must have died yesterday or saturday night when i wasn't home, but it didn't affect the water stats at all. Was the ugliest fish i have ever seen. Im keeping a close eye on the others. I was told it was 5yrs old though and the other fish look completely fine so im not worried

I AM SO NAUGHTY!!!
2010_0629118tank0039.jpg

My bofriend: "this is why your not allowed to go into aquarium shops without me!!"
I looked at the lights (fortunately i know i can't stretch my overdraft THAT far!! ...can for a little £3 albino cory though :lol: ). The only one i could see that could possibly fit was a 25W, forgot the other details. So if i had two that would be like 2wpg.. not that much of an improvement... I think ill have to physically take a tube from my tank down there (when i can afford to get new tubes) and ask the guy there what he can order me in

trip to tesco later for a packet of yeast.

Most reactions

Back